Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a great use for +P ammo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Found a great use for +P ammo

So, I keep my .45s stoked with 230gr HSTs. I had recently come into a trade that I couldn't pass up - 250 rounds of 230gr .45ACP +P HST for $100 (my buddy bought them then realized that his gun wasn't +P rated). I don't like to feed my guns +P so I had an idea. When I was a kid I would load a tracer round as the last two rounds in my mag so that I could get a visual indicator of when I was about to run out. Well - that didn't work too well. But the concept was solid. So I've been loading the the last two rounds in my high-cap .45 mags with the HST +P so that I can get tactile feedback on when I'm due for a reload.

I practice a lot with HSTs so the +P should be very distinct when fired. Anyone else do anything similar? It makes a lot of sense to me.
    Last edited by Shao; 03-11-15 at 11:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im just a guy on the internet but here are some thoughts:

That seems a bit counterproductive and not very practical. If, God forbid, you do get into an armed confrontation; you won't know what the difference in rounds is. Moreover, you will not care. It will be fast, dynamic, and only gross motorskills will be in play. Assuming you have trained, you will most likely run the gun to the point all ammo is expended or failure. You will then rely on trained gross motor skills to reload or perform a remedial action drill. If you are in a sustained fight, and there is a surcease behind cover, then you will do a reload in battery and if there are rounds left; retain partially loaded magazine.
    Tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, and adrenaline dump comes into play. Provided you are just johnny on the ball, you will still shake. Fear has nothing to do with it. Once you dump, you shake. All of these sympathetic physiological things occurring will not be conducive to feeling if a round has more or less recoil or not.

Even if you shy from constantly using +p ammo(which isn't a bad idea. It can wear on a gun)....whatever you carry you should practice with.

You may gain more from merely practicing controlled groups and reload drills. Muscle memory trumps anything cognizant. Fact.

Good luck with whatever you try. Hopefully you find something that works.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Nope. I practice with practice ammo.

All my HSTs are +p.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Just another guy on the internet but I would think that if you are actually in a self defense shooting and you are focusing on the recoil characteristics of your weapon you are doing it wrong.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Just another guy on the internet but I would think that if you are actually in a self defense shooting and you are focusing on the recoil characteristics of your weapon you are doing it wrong.
    In a you or them situation, you wont notice the recoil difference. I agree +p has more recoil but , i cant tell the difference most of the time in training. Let alone coupled with the pucker factor.
    Last edited by Guns-up.50; 03-10-15 at 14:34.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You won't feel the recoil if you fire in defense and you will also not hear the report of firing. Stupid idea.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Agree with others, loading a different ammo as a "low ammo warning" probably won't be as effective as you think. I've never once heard a professional pistol instructor recommend this even as a technique, and I'll bet there is a reason for that.

My advice would be to try it with a dynamic drill and see how much of the time you can actually tell while switching targets, moving, shooting from behind cover (braced?) etc.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    lol... Please take a very stressful class like a force on force and let me know how the recoil felt at the end of the mag.

Feedback Score
    Take it from someone who has been there. You'll never feel the difference.

Time for a different plan.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerOne View Post
    You'll never feel the difference.
    I know that only from training, but it's crazy how little those words actually get through to people until they see it first hand.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast