Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Beretta M9...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, I did it...went up to Grants store today with the intention of buying a 92FS..but while there, I also looked at a stainless Vertec..Wow! what a difference. The 92's grip felt "fat" compared to the Vertec, and the trigger also felt as if it was farther out. The Vertec just felt right. The grip feels right, trigger reach is perfect for me. I bought the Vertec.. got on Brownell's site and ordered a "D" spring, I figure I'll shoot it for a while before I do anything else to it.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    That IS a steal of a deal even if it is a basic 92FS. Says on his site that they are Italian made too.

I might have to re-think the M9 because this is hundreds less than most M9s I can find near me.

...tempting

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I have a current product 92G (decock only) and have been very pleased with it. This is not my first introduction to the 92, I've had three (SD, Vertec G and Centurion G) from 2004 - 2010, so the reliability is not unexpected. On my current 92G, I've replaced the stock hammer with the Elite II hammer, installed a 13lb hammer spring, VZ Tactical Slant grips and finally the Wilson Combat fixed rear sight. I really like the plain black sight picture of the rear sight and the U notch. It's less cluttered than the two dot rear that came with the gun. This is the same rear sight that is installed on the Wilson/Beretta Brigadier Tactical.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    That IS a steal of a deal even if it is a basic 92FS. Says on his site that they are Italian made too.

I might have to re-think the M9 because this is hundreds less than most M9s I can find near me.

...tempting
    They are indeed Italian made.. Before I chose the Vertec at Grant's shop today, I did look at the 92fs, that he had.. For that kind of money, you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by ralph; 04-07-15 at 17:02.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    The Beretta 92 has been the most consistently reliable 9mm pistol I've owned.

Feedback Score
    I think if I were to consider a 92 it would have to be a decock only model (G) with low-profile decock lever. It would also need a shorter grip and barrel. Thin panel grips and a dovetailed front sight are needed too.

That's the only way I'd ISWB one. And even then it would still be heavier than say, a Glock 19 and hold two fewer rounds. The M92 Compact is one step but needs to go two or three more.

Feedback Score
    This thread amuses me - if you had asked this question 10 years ago, this thread would've taken a totally different direction. The M9 used to be the gun enthusiast's whipping boy - it should've never replaced the 1911, should've lost to the 226, should've been a .45, etc.

The 226 is the M9's closest competitor in my eyes. Personally, I'll take the 226/Sig family everyday (and do, I carry a p229 on duty and a p239 off) due to ergonomics and controls, but that is purely a preference thing. I think that if the M9/92x series had come out with a railed model earlier, and had a continually produced/aftermarket supported compact model it could've eaten Sig's lunch. Any pistol that the US military adopts for general issue has the opportunity for unlimited commercial success, but I think that Beretta missed the mark early on in the M9's career. They're definitely "getting it" lately with the G-SD models, M9A1 and A3, and the Wilson Combat partnership, but its a bit of a case of too little too late in the plastic striker fired era...

Feedback Score
    If Beretta built a frame-mounted decocker model, with a commensurate compact/"M" (single stack) model, they would've cleaned house. But then that pretty much describes the direction Sig went in after losing the US military trials. SIG has cleaned up in the Federal LE market, which could've been Beretta's had they been paying attention to the market.
    Last edited by ChaseN; 04-07-15 at 23:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have any of you M9/92 owners had any issues with the locking blocks? The Berettas I used to deal with were all service pistols, so I'm curious as to whether that played a part in the frequency of broken locking blocks that I had seen.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5whiskey View Post
    Have any of you M9/92 owners had any issues with the locking blocks? The Berettas I used to deal with were all service pistols, so I'm curious as to whether that played a part in the frequency of broken locking blocks that I had seen.
    You would be seriously hard pressed to find an actual person with locking block issues that is using the Gen 3 block. I imagine it's different in the military where the guns are terribly abused, parts swapped around, and service history is over 20 years. EL has one Beretta over 100,000 rnds by the way. If your lug does break however, or chip, it can induce abnormal wear to the slide and frame. I've seen some suggestions to change the locking block every 20,000ish rounds. EL has a good guide on preventative maintenance. Military Beretta pistols should not be compared to the ones in private ownership in terms of longevity IMHO.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast