Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Favorite Drills

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 5-50 drill.

I've been debating on posting this, but since it has become my routine drill at the range with a rifle, and have gotten others to use it, I might as well take the plunge and post my 5-50 Drill.

This come out from the 2012-13 Panic and "The Great Ammo Drought" of 2013. The drill "requires" a 50 yard range, but as I will explain throughout this posting, the drill can vary for the shooter and what they are seeking from it. The drill is a skills test of where you are either coming right on to the range or just before coming off. Round count is sixty rounds; either divided up in two magazines, or in multiple magazines to work in reloads. The sixty round count is due that one can go to Walmart and buy three, twenty round boxes of Tula ammo: the cheapest stuff you can get on the market and be had (even second hand from some price gouger) cheaply.

The drill takes place at the 5, 7, 10, 15, 25, and 50 yard lines--hence the 5-50 Drill. There is no timer to this, all accuracy and throttle control of the shooter. Targets can range from an IDPA, IPSC, 8-inch bullseye, to a full silhouette target. Pretty much what you have on hand--though the smaller the target the better (A-Zone size IDPA or paper plate).

The Basic 5-50 Drill

This is done all standing until the 50 yard mark. No movement required.

Goal: To judge your current skill and handling of your primary weapon with two standard magazines of ammunition. Ten (10) rounds will be fired from each yard line, totally to sixty (60) at the end. You can check your groupings throughout the course of fire, though you may to check your memory and call your shots. It is advised to check your hits at the 5-10 yard lines to check and confirm your sight-over-bore ratio.

Basic Course of Fire:

At the 5, 7, 10, 15, and 25 yard lines, it is standing only, no movement, double taps (control pairs--whatever) to the A-zone area, rifle at low ready for each string of fire. Very simple, but it goes back over the fundamentals of acquiring your sight, dropping the safety, rifle control, and trigger squeeze. You can start off fast at the 5-7 yard lines, but again, at those distance you are checking your sight-over-bore hits.

The further you go back, pace yourself. This drill is not timed, so you are looking for good hits, and working on your sight picture when getting your weapon up from the low ready position. You are also working your safety every time for repetition sake.

After the 25 yard section is done, go to your target, take a glance at it and remember your hits. This will become critical after you have fire from the 50 yard line.

At the 50 yard line you "should" be on the last ten rounds. (If you are under or over, you are not paying attention to your strings--another piece from this drill).

You will do a single string of two rounds from the standing position. You will then drop to the kneeling position and do two strings of fire. Your last four rounds will be from the prone position. Either you can shoot them slow or fast, it depends on how your sight picture and your control of your weapon at this position.

Throughout all courses of fire, you are checking to see how your gear is fairing, checking to see if you need to make adjustments. You are also checking your throttle control, and where you need to either speed up or slow down at the different yard lines.

This drill can also be ran backwards: 50 yards to 5 yards. It is entirely up to the shooter. But the shooter must know what they are wanting wait they are looking for as where the skill level is and where they want to improve. It is a low ammunition skills test at basic yardage if you can't get to a range that is over 50 yards--like where I go to.

Advanced 5-50 Drill:

Adding cool guy stuff to the drill is simple, and again, up to the shooter. It's your ammo. What is listed are options to add to the drill

5 Yards:

1.)Head shots only.

2.)Run the full ten rounds as fast as you can to work your recoil management and trigger press. Small groupings.

7 Yards:

1.) Facing movements from a static position. Don't worry about getting off the X. Work your pivoting.

2.) Transition from strong-side to support-side, doing double taps. This is done continuously until ten rounds have been fired.

10 Yards:

1.) Starting at the 15 Yard mark, run to the 10-yard line and engage your target. Walk back and start from different facing positions.

2.) Get off the X movements at the 10 yard mark.

15 Yards:

1.) Fast squatting and kneeling transitions starting from standing.

2.) Get off the X movements at the 15 yard mark.

25 Yards:

Same static strings of fire. Working on sight picture and weapon control

50 Yards:

Same as the Basic Course.

Summary:

When ammunition is in short supply, and dry firing and none live-fire drills only go so far, this 5-50 drill is a good way to keep track on your skills and see what you need to work on. You can start your range session with the drill to get a feel on where you currently stand skill wise, and develop your range session of focusing on those skills. The 5-50 drill is also a good way to shoot cheap ammo for skills building and keeping good ammo in storage. During the panic, many found it hard to justify shooting hundreds of rounds if they knew they could replenish them. Also, the idea of shooting .22lr to keep fresh was a bygone thought when the supple of the cheapest ammo on the shelves dried up, and it still has not come back.

There are other drills out that can be done and achieve similar results for the shooter, such as the Modified Navy Qualification drill. But the MNQ requires just 15 rounds and is only done at the 50 yard. The 5-50 drill is done at multiple yardages, and takes into account varying factors at those ranges. For instance, sight-over-bore ratios at close distances; round count during the strings (why I recommend just running two magazines); target acquisition and sight picture at varying ranges; and calling your shots.

The shooter can run this drill with just their rifle and the spare magazine in their pocket, or in full kit-up. Again, it is what the shooter is looking for in themselves from the drill. If they need to see where they are in full kit, do it. If you only have 10 minutes to shoot, this drill can be in that time.

The drill can also be used as a warm-up. You can also incorporate your secondary weapon into the drill (still working on it on my end on where to place it and the pistol round count). If you just intend to go out with your pistol, but have 60 rounds laying around, take your rifle and do a 5-50 drill. It will be a quick skills test.

Scoring:

The simple scoring requirements is to keep all your shots in the black or A-Zone. Any outside shots, it is the shooters responsibility to have called them. Many times I have had hits in the white and I don't remember when and where I pulled the shot. Bad on me.

If you have placed all your hits in the black, congrates, pat yourself on the back, now go and make them tighter. Save your targets to review after your next 5-50 drill.

Again, this drill is to judge yourself, where you stand, where to improve on a low ammo range day, to check your gear, and clear out the cobwebs in your system.
    Last edited by Mauser KAR98K; 05-19-15 at 22:50.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score

Range drills I've been running lately...

Here's 2 drills I've been running lately that I'm getting a lot out of!

Drill #1...
    Shooting from cover:
    -Controlled fire moving to cover
    -once behind cover fire 2 shots strong side
    -fire 2 shots weak side
    -transition to sidearm, fire 4 shots
    -transition back to rifle, switch mags and fire 2 more times

The things I like about this drill are the weapons manipulation and all the different ways to run it. Work in mag changes, malfunctions, with a buddy calling out shots, firing positions, and weapons transitions. Even working in multiple targets and/or multiple barricades to move between.

Feedback Score

Range drills I've been running lately... Part II

Drill #2...
    100 yard rifle drill (My take on the Defoor Performance Rifle Test series... Done with full kit.)
    -100 yards, lying on your back, feet towards target, 2 shots
    -75 yards, kneel down, fire 2 shots
    -50 yards, lie prone, fire 2 shots
    -25 yards, fire at targets while continuing to move

I'm using 8"x10" steel plates (x2) as my targets, goal is one shot (or more) per plate to move on, so speed and accuracy is key!

Run to each yardage marker between shots, to add to the difficulty work in planned "malfunctions" and mag changes... You can also bump up to full kit to add an extra challenge to the drill.

Feedback Score
    The reality of civilian handgun use is most attackers doint have a gun. Do NOT shoot knife wielders beyond 10 ft, guys. DRAW and point at them but do not fire, at longer distances. You're not a cop, your lawyer is not free of charge and you will NOT have a sympathetic jury, judge or prosecutor. Cops and prosecutors HATE it when you intrude on their monopoly on violence. They very much want you to be disarmed and dependent upon them. Speed of draw has 6x prevented me from having to fire. Airsoft guns and a timer for same make it very cheap, easy,, safe and fast to acquire a superfast ccw draw. Until you get that gun out and on target, none of the other gun training means a thing. Quite often, if you can draw fast enough, you dont have to fire at ALL, which saves you 50-500k trying to stay out of prison and un-sued. Get the double ace timer for your wristband, so it works for both airsoft and live ammo. ou need that feedback of whether a draw truly was fast, or just felt that way, due to lots of wasted movement. If I can reliably draw and hit the chest in .70 second openly worn rig and you need 1.1 seconds to do the same, guess who's got more time for 5 more hits on the Bill drill, in 2 seconds, eh? You have .90 second for 5 more hits, I have 1.3 seconds for those same hits. Who is more likely to have 5 nice hits, me or you? Who is more likely to be able to get all 6 hits in 1.6 seconds, me or you? :-) Who is more likely to be un-shot and getting those hits? The speed of draw has to come first.

Feedback Score

What.......???

Thank you for your insight on survival; ability to 'draw fast' and shoot 6 rounds in 1.6 seconds on paper, facing your target, prepped stance, focused on the A zone. real brave. Before you start giving 'life saving' advice perhaps a little Force Science Research on the '21 foot rule' and how 'Cops and prosecutors' hate taking their 'kills'.... folks like you get people killed

Quote Originally Posted by tellum View Post
    The reality of civilian handgun use is most attackers doint have a gun. Do NOT shoot knife wielders beyond 10 ft, guys. DRAW and point at them but do not fire, at longer distances. You're not a cop, your lawyer is not free of charge and you will NOT have a sympathetic jury, judge or prosecutor. Cops and prosecutors HATE it when you intrude on their monopoly on violence. They very much want you to be disarmed and dependent upon them. Speed of draw has 6x prevented me from having to fire. Airsoft guns and a timer for same make it very cheap, easy,, safe and fast to acquire a superfast ccw draw. Until you get that gun out and on target, none of the other gun training means a thing. Quite often, if you can draw fast enough, you dont have to fire at ALL, which saves you 50-500k trying to stay out of prison and un-sued. Get the double ace timer for your wristband, so it works for both airsoft and live ammo. ou need that feedback of whether a draw truly was fast, or just felt that way, due to lots of wasted movement. If I can reliably draw and hit the chest in .70 second openly worn rig and you need 1.1 seconds to do the same, guess who's got more time for 5 more hits on the Bill drill, in 2 seconds, eh? You have .90 second for 5 more hits, I have 1.3 seconds for those same hits. Who is more likely to have 5 nice hits, me or you? Who is more likely to be able to get all 6 hits in 1.6 seconds, me or you? :-) Who is more likely to be un-shot and getting those hits? The speed of draw has to come first.
    Criterion Tactical- "Accurately Assessing Mastery..."

"You can have a life plan or a fight plan, but when the action starts, you're down to your reflexes -- your training. If you've cheated on your training in the dark of the morning, you'll be found out under the bright lights."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I drew up this rifle-pistol drill for my friend George Clendenin of Integrity Firearms Training in College Station, Texas. I call this "sinister's RASH" (Respond to Active Shooter) drill. The name kinda makes me want to scratch my bits.

The training lieutenant for one of the local police departments asked George for a carbine and pistol drill -- with the caveat they were shooting up expired rifle ammo, and had minimal pistol ammo. We wanted to give them a non-typical (not a "Yawn. Boring, I've seen it on youtube before") exercise. George presented this particular drill and the audience (consisting of a mix of academy instructors, firearms instructors, and one SWAT officer) gave positive comments.

Use this crawl-walk-run drill to train and eventually test or qualify individuals or pair teams, using 40 rounds (30 rifle, ten pistol) per turn. You can do this on a standard 100-yard rifle range with bullseye or turning target frames, or you can use IPSC-style stands. I used cardboard IPSC targets because they're common and available, but you can use GI cardboard E and F-type silhouettes. We're looking for hits. Since each go uses 40 rounds, I just transferred Army numbers -- 30-35 is good / passing, 36-40 is Expert. We're going for the sweet spot balancing power (hits), accuracy (dead), and speed (overall time).

Set up your target bank to look like this:

At the 100-yard line we parked a patrol Ford Exploder and a 4x4 side-by-side ATV. At the 75-yard line we put up V-TAC barriers so each shooter has cover, concealment, and support. At 50-yards we stacked two blue plastic dishwasher soap drums on top of each other to provide concealment but not sturdy support. At 25-yards we have simple orange cones.

We set up two parallel lanes so each respective left and right shooter has his own work space (a shooter and a safety pacing with him/her), and as we advance we can shoot as a side-by-side pair (a shooter/advancing mover while the other covers during the leap-frog / bounding overwatch).

We start at the 100-yard line. If department protocol says the carbine or rifle is in the rack or in a bag in the trunk, that's how we start.

I had the fellas start the car, shifter in drive, then hit the wail on the siren. Shooter then puts the car into park (or stand by for hilarity), grabs his carbine (or un-asses the car to the trunk and gets his weapon out of the soft case) and gets into the fight. If he has to don plate carrier over soft armor, he does so now.

He then gets support off the vehicle, nearest cover and concealment object, or the ground, and shoots five long-gun rounds at the full-size target on the left. He moves to other side of the vehicle and shoots the full-size target on the right.

He advances to the 75 and repeats five on the partial target on the left, switches cover side and shoots five on the right.

He advances to the 50-yard drums and takes a knee around cover and shoots the semi-obscured left target, switches sides, and shoots five on the right target.

He un-holsters his pistol and advances to 25 yards, and fires five rounds to lock-back -- reloads, and fires five rounds while advancing to close the distance.

We demonstrated, then everyone did it once, un-timed. We repeated, individuals against the stopwatch. We did it a third time as buddy pairs for fastest teams/most hits.

Fastest and highest scoring was, surprisingly, the new lieutenant with a standard 16-inch carbine. We had guys with short Mark 18-style CQB carbines, and the SWAT guy had a suppressed carbine with light and laser.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Excellent Sinister, this hilights some vital “real world” skills IMO.

We do something similar a couple times a year, using different cover at decreasing distances, movement; advance/lateral, transition to handgun and sometimes back again to Carbine. I like to throw a “hostage” target or two in the mix on the partials. This causes shooter(s) to focus more on precision, particularly past 25 yds.

The downside is difficulty of course set up. While usually shot on a private range we must schedule with the “club” in advance.
    There are only a dozen or less that practice these skill sets on a regular basis.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718