Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drills

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That's kinda what I do. I don't do the conversion kit thing, although a guy I know has a nice glock unit. I just have a Ruger MkII that I'll shoot with... generally in mid session.

But I agree. I like the last pistol mag I shoot to be full caliber ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm not a big fan of jumping from gun to gun. We call it Simon's Inverse Multi-gun Paradox, aka The SIMP Principle.
    That Simon is a smart guy. In fact, he belatedly convinced me to buy a *gag* M9. It's just solid logic.

Re: Original Topic-

There needs to be a plan to your training. Would you pay for a course in which the instructor simply reads off commands? No (or at least I hope not). He is supposed to identify and correct weaknesses or faults, and work through them. You should be doing the same thing.

I have a strong aversion to practicing qualifications as a method of training. A qualification is a test of ability, not the ability to pass a test.
    Think of it this way-
    You practice the El Prez several times a day, every day for a month straight. You will now be very proficient in that drill, possibly scoring well ahead of your class. However, you are not really that class of shooter. You are whatever class you are, but with an El Prez specific skill-set. (Not the best example, but I figured everybody knows what an El Pres is).
    The same issue can come from fixed drill cards.

Identify the desired end-result and train to achieve that goal, skill by skill, with reinforcing skills, as well as separate skill-sets to maintain and improve the overall ability.

Just my .02, in 2008 dollars.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Lots of good points have been brought out here. Some things I try to remember (and some have been listed here):

1. Have a practice plan - don't just go and blast ammo downrange.
    2. Start and finish with accuracy driven drills (I usually shoot a 10 shot group at 15-25 yards with a pistol to begin and end the session).
    3. Practice skills you don't like to do and/or aren't very good at (yet!).
    4. In line with #3, get out of your comfort zone. We learn very little doing the same thing we've always done.
    5. Work HARD on excellent trigger control at all shot delivery speeds and distances.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Oh! I didn't catch that link when I read your post the first time!

I'm definitely not a SIMP. I have a very streamlined approach to the number of pistols I own. And believe in mastering my carry weapon (almost at an obsessive compulsive level). But it kinda goes back to my warm up philosophy... I wouldn't want to be in panic mode if I had to fire a different gun than I've done all of my training and practice on.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I just got done merging and cleaning up about 9 older threads all covering drills.

This new composite thread will be stickied in the T&T forum for future reference.

~Thekatar

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Lots of good info in this thread.

Thank You.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Larry Vickers says it in his classes; shooting pistols is hard, rifles and carbines are easy. So mastering pistol trigger control is one of the keys to shooting a carbine well. He talks about how he's seen guys who are all kinds of awesome with a rifle turn into a soup sandwich when the pistols come out. But very rarely does he see someone who shoots a pistol well that can't shoot a rifle well.

Thus, dry fire (at least at my house) is all done with a pistol. Rifles only get broken out to practice manipulations (reloads, malf clearance).
    I shoot my pistols much better than a rifle. Maybe I should shoot the rifle more than once a year?

Mike

Feedback Score
    I am kinda new around this site, but am seriously appreciating some of the info here. I too do a lot of dry fire, and my range work has a focus of making every round count, because in Law Enforcement every round must be accounted for. All that said, I thought I might contribute this little drill of mine which focuses more on staying in the fight, but shot placement is never compromised.

R.A.T.
    (Reload And Transition)
    Weapons Drill

EQUIPMENT:
    • Primary (P) Weapon and Handgun (H)
    • Load bearing gear to carry loaded magazines.
    • (P) Magazines loaded with 4 rounds each.
    • (H) Magazines fully loaded.

START:

• (P) Double Tap (Controlled Pair) from Strong Side.
    • (P) Safety On / Transition to Weak Side.
    • (P) Double Tap from Weak Side.
    • (P) Weapon now empty / Safety On / Transition to Handgun.
    • (H) Double Tap from Strong and Weak Side.
    • (H) Holster / Secure Handgun.
    • (P) Transition back to Primary Weapon and reload.

(Repeat)

Notes:

• Dummy rounds may be introduced to include malfunction procedures into this Drill.
    • Primary magazines may be loaded with 6 rounds to provide for “Fail Safes” in the drill instead of “Double Taps”.
    • Handgun reloads as needed.
    "God made Cops, so Firemen could have Heroes."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLYDYNAMIC View Post
    Hobbes, heres my basic drills to keep me up with the training is down.

I try to do 15-20minutes of dry practice a day or at least 3 times a week if im busy.

So I start with breaking down all the fundamentals...
    I wish this warm up drill would have been covered in the "extras" of the Magpul Dynamics Video.

Feedback Score

500 pt rifle

Here is a coarse that will work the accuracy skills with the rifle. Got it from some "army guy". 50 rounds and a par timer or a buddy with a stopwatch required.

500 pt best score on SR21 target.

1st string prone 10 shots 1 minute 100 yards
    2nd string seated 10 shots 1 minute 75 yards
    3rd string knealing 10 shots 1 minute 50 yards
    4th string standing 10 shots 1 minute 25 yards
    5th string standing 10 shots 30 secinds 15 yards

Try to beat 490.

I have yet to beat 475 but its getting close.

Mule

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast