Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drills

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLYDYNAMIC View Post
    I have moved into a more intuitive method of shooting, with the methodology of getting combat accurate hits. This means balancing speed and precision.
    Interesting.

When you do this intuitive shooting are you getting a "flash" sight picture, or are you basically ignoring the sights at ranges of 3-7 yards or so?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Interesting.

When you do this intuitive shooting are you getting a "flash" sight picture, or are you basically ignoring the sights at ranges of 3-7 yards or so?
    Neither, I am simply focusing on the threat which is what our eyes WANT to do in the first place especially at close quarters...(point blank to around 10 yards for me) this obviously changes with experience levels... and needs to be practiced. The shooter has to find the balance between when to use his sights and when not to. If a man is holding my son hostage at 7-10 yards and I have only a head shot...then obviously this will process through the amygdala and my brain is going to tell me to slow down and sight in. Now if hes open game I am going to most likely going to shot as fast as I efficiently can.
    Consistance and proper exention of the arms helps when doing the "point shooting"
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Back to the original question, I believe that action-style competition is an effective way to demonstrate your shooting strengths and weaknesses, and thereby identify which skills most need further improvement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    Back to the original question, I believe that action-style competition is an effective way to demonstrate your shooting strengths and weaknesses, and thereby identify which skills most need further improvement.
    I agree 100% I find that Action shooting comps helps keep me proficient especially when I am not running classes or taking classes shooting. It is great because there is a little bit of self enduced stress with the timer and you get to run and gun, shoot in awkward positions and push your speed and precision balance. I just have to keep the tactics shooting world and the race gunning world to seperate training entities. (fundamentals are the same but the tactics are different.)
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I honestly try to work on my stand and moving skills. I see way too many people bench shooting and that to me is way to easy. Unfortunately my range isn't very friendly when it comes to moving and shooting. So I have joined the QSC and might try to enroll in a few carbine courses and pistol courses to better my skill level and confidence.

Overall I try to work on shooting at multiple distances and need to work on shooting with irons instead of optics because anyone can do that. Overall I am far from being HSLD more like HDLS.

Travis when you were at Quantico were you out at WTBN/PWS?
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    When I start seeing nice tight groups, I realize that they have got a handle on basic marksmanship. Once they can display that, we start speeding up, moving around, and/or add stress to them.

If your group looks really good then you are shooting way too slow!!

Someone above stated that there are times for a more precise shot. It makes sense to mix up the fast big targets and the mor precise smaller targets.

Good thread, stay vertical

Feedback Score
    Without posting a range routine that looks like a recipe for "male chauvanist chili" (which by the way is the best damn chili I've ever tasted), what do you guys normally start off with when you get to the range? How long are your sessions? I usually start off with drawing from concealment with the target's 7 yards away. When I can consistently hit COM with a 1.5 sec - 1.6 sec consistency, then I move on to 10 and 15 yards from low ready and high ready. I'll move on to controlled pairs and some NSRs. I'd really like some ideas for my carbine work out and would appreciate hearing from some of you more seasoned guys to steer me in the right direction. Most of my sessions are pistol and I could really use work on my carbine skills. What should my distances and time constraints be for CQB with my carbine. Thanks guys!
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Since a good draw to shoot is pretty much several steps, try this. Practice dry at home drawing, bringing the weapon to bare, and firing (dry). A good draw to shoot should look something like this....draw weapon straight up from holster, rotate to get muzzle toward target (in case you have to pull the trigger there) bring weapon and other hand together at just about your sternum, then press the weapon out to your shooting position, (align sight or point) and fire.

Ok, with that established, you can first practice getting the weapon to your sternum at home, then go to the range. Start with hands together at sternum, press gun out and shoot. Most ranges will not say anything for that. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 07-11-08 at 20:48.
    May the earth not rise up to smite thee.
    www.adcofirearms.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PropDoc View Post
    Since a good draw to shoot is pretty much several steps, try this. Practice dry at home drawing, bringing the weapon to bare, and firing (dry). A good draw to shoot should look something like this....draw weapon straight up from holster, rotate to get muzzle toward target (in case you have to pull the trigger there) bring weapon and other hand together at just about your sternum, then press the weapon out to your shooting position, (align sight or point) and fire.

Ok, with that established, you can first practice getting the weapon to your sternum at home, then go to the range. Start with hands together at sternum, press gun out and shoot. Most ranges will not say anything for that. Just a thought.
    You know, that's a great suggestion.

With limited range rules doing dry fire training at home is a good idea, and I think I will do more of it, including your pointers.

Just handling the rifle/pistol and trying different techniques at home makes you much more familiar and comfortable using it, so the drawing of a pistol, quick sighting in, quick and proper mag changes / same with the rifle /makes it second nature.

Then at the range I can concentrate on quicker target acuisition, controlling recoil, hitting where I want and sneak in a few double taps.

Great idea, thanks

Do need to find a place to do the entire live fire training, to train the mind under stress. Then and only then when under stress can we truly train to be effective under the situations where we may have to use our weapons for defense/ offense purposes.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 07-11-08 at 20:48.

Feedback Score
    +1000000 on dry practice! It is 90% of my training. just make sure it is perfect practice...like the ol saying!
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast