Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drills

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Biggest change for me this year was switching to 3"x5" cards for targets. My goal each range visit is to keep 'em on the card.

I feel pretty lucky to have a 50yd indoor range with targets that you can run from edge to foe on a timer, and allows draw from concealment. I try to make local IDPA matches as time allows - but I really need to get out more.

Feedback Score
    I started doing the 3 x 5 card thing a while back too. Actually, I use a 4 x 6 white sticker placed upper center of the A zone in a USPSA target. I have made every effort to place my shots inside the 4 x 6 box. It slowed me down at first, but I am keeping 80%+ inside the white. My concern is if it is actually helping. Take away the focal point and then what?

Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
    I started doing the 3 x 5 card thing a while back too. Actually, I use a 4 x 6 white sticker placed upper center of the A zone in a USPSA target. I have made every effort to place my shots inside the 4 x 6 box. It slowed me down at first, but I am keeping 80%+ inside the white. My concern is if it is actually helping. Take away the focal point and then what?

Any thoughts?

Now leave the card off and just focus on the area you want the round to go (no clear point). Then after the first round, you have a wonderful little focal point again.
    My bet is the practice with the card will have helped a lot.

Edit: Being able to put rounds in a tight group, on paper, only goes to keeping them a bit closer together (don't read grouped) when under very high stress levels. So if you can't keep them tight on paper, where do you think they are gonna go under very high stress..................can you say MISS!!!
    Last edited by PropDoc; 09-12-07 at 15:54. Reason: Added thought.
    May the earth not rise up to smite thee.
    www.adcofirearms.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Propdoc,

It's funny that you mentioned about practicing from the #2 position of the 4 count drawstroke. I do this a lot when I'm forced to train at someplace that will not allow drawing from the holster.

As far as triaining goes I agree with those who say train with a purpose. With the current price of ammo I don't have the pleasure of "plinking" for the sake of fun anymore. When I shoot these days it's all business and improving skills.

Regarding group sizes, I agree with SD, go slow and work on the fundementals to build up your basics and then speed up to where you can keep everything in a 8" circle.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    ......go slow and work on the fundementals to build up your basics and then speed up to where you can keep everything in a 8" circle.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final."
    --Larry Vickers

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final."
    --Larry Vickers
    Exactly.
    I've been shooting for 32yrs and shooting competition for 3.5yrs, I don't consider myself FAST.

Someone once told me in competition a miss costs you not only points but at least a 1/2 second in time. If you can't make a hit within a 1/2 second you really need to slow down. Only hits count.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Fun drill--better be in shape!!

I started a new drill this last weekend. Using a 100 yard field, I set up paper plate targets at roughly 10-25 yard increments. The idea is to draw, shoot the first target, run to the first target, use the first target as cover and shoot 2 targets 2 rounds each. Run to that target, go prone and shoot the next target which is 15 yards away. Then run to that target, go to a knee and shoot two targets approximately 25 yards away each (both about 30 yards from each other). You do this while running your ass off. You run, do not jog or walk to each target. This drill will take a lot out of you because you end up running about 55 yards total. You can vary it by doing lean-outs, roll-outs, etc behind the targets. I used "recycled" political signs with paper plates taped to them.

Fun drill that gets you in shape in a lot of different ways. I tried it with pistol and rifle,
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    We have set up similar "drills" in our rifle matches except that we use "hard cover" at each station. The "story" that goes with the stage is that you're killing badguys at one position of cover, advancing to it, and repeating.

It's a fun drill. We've also done similar drills where your handgun is waiting for you at the last position as a "dropped weapon" and when you get to the last station you run out of ammo and have to switch to the handgun. Fortunately nobody has hit their own pistol yet.

I keep wanting to do a stage where we're set up on the 50 yard line with your empty rifle and your magazine is at the 0. At the buzzer you have to leave your rifle at the 50, run back to the 0, retrieve your magazine, come back to the 50, and engage the 4" steel at 100.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    We have set up similar "drills" in our rifle matches except that we use "hard cover" at each station. The "story" that goes with the stage is that you're killing badguys at one position of cover, advancing to it, and repeating.

It's a fun drill. We've also done similar drills where your handgun is waiting for you at the last position as a "dropped weapon" and when you get to the last station you run out of ammo and have to switch to the handgun. Fortunately nobody has hit their own pistol yet.

I keep wanting to do a stage where we're set up on the 50 yard line with your empty rifle and your magazine is at the 0. At the buzzer you have to leave your rifle at the 50, run back to the 0, retrieve your magazine, come back to the 50, and engage the 4" steel at 100.
    I ran that one set up for bolt guns a while back.

Rifle grounded at 100 yard line, on command shoulder rifle and fire 1 round standing.
    Run to 75 yard line and pick up one 1 round, run back to 100 yard line chamber and fire 1 round from kneeling position.

Ground rifle, run to 50 yard line retrieve one round,run back to 100 and fire 1 round sitting.

Ground rifle, run to 25 yard line retrieve 1 round run back to 100, chamber and fire 1 round prone.

Target was 8.5x11 sheet of paper with some dudes mug on it. Pays to have a variable power scope on a 15Lb bolt gun when your not shooting from the prone.

Good shit

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb How to slay El Snatcho? Help with drills and exercises...

I am making an early New Years resolution... MORE TRAINING! (I need it... ) One goal is the Vickers Carbine 1 class in FEB-08...

I want to begin now so I'm not "That Guy!" and shed saliva on a dirty, sticky, moisture-laden bus window...

My #1 goal is to learn to SLAY that ornery, repulsive El Snatcho, the bastard child of all that is unholy...

What can a BEGINNER do to PREPARE without developing bad habits that Vickers must exorcise from me?

Thanks in advance,
    Rmpl

"Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast