Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I looking at a gas block problem?

Feedback Score

Am I looking at a gas block problem?

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a no-name 16" mid length upper. Every so often the bolt does not hold back after last round. Also I'd say every 20-30 shots the firearm cycles ok (spent case ejects), click, no bang, and there is no cartridge in the chamber. I've played with buffers, tried different ammo, bolt, entire lowers and magazines.

Do the pictures mean anything? I am assuming (very novicely) that the gas block is somehow not in spec and is leaking gas and/or was not installed properly...

2nd picture is the same as the 1st, but I suspect there is gas leaking in the highlighted area? I am not technical savvy to decipher them. Also does the gas port look ok?

Thanks in advance...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I see nothing obviously wrong with the gas port. The carbon fouling almost centered around the port is a good sign because it indicates that the hole on the gas block is completely over the port.

I know you said you had tried different ammo and magazines, but what specific ammo and magazines have you tried?

What does the gas block itself look like? Is it a sight tower block and pinned, or low profile? What does the gas tube look like? Have you looked for any damage, cracks or holes in the gas tube?

Feedback Score
    In addition to my post above, the gas tube is covered in dark sooth. Is the only way it can get that dark is gas coming back from here (see below pic)? Or am I really looking at a bad/leaky gas system here?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I see nothing obviously wrong with the gas port. The carbon fouling almost centered around the port is a good sign because it indicates that the hole on the gas block is completely over the port.

I know you said you had tried different ammo and magazines, but what specific ammo and magazines have you tried?

What does the gas block itself look like? Is it a sight tower block and pinned, or low profile? What does the gas tube look like? Have you looked for any damage, cracks or holes in the gas tube?
    Thanks SomeOtherGuy. I tried HK, Magpul and lancer mags. The Magpul is gen 2 & 3 mixed. Ammo is tula, brown bear and American Eagle... The gas block is low profile, not pinned but is the screw to the barrel (dimple) type. Here is a pic of where its screws meet the barrel (not too deep)... You can see the gas tube too...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Have you looked for any damage, cracks or holes in the gas tube?
    That's good idea & starting point... Thanks!

Feedback Score
    From your description, the gun is appears to be getting just enough gas to work, most of the time.

Doesn't look like the gun is losing gas from the port, all the barrels I've ever seen look just like that.

There is some gas loss from where the gas tube enters the block. Sometimes, this resolves when the gas tube gets enough fouling around it to seal off.

Your gas port could be too small, but I think that's on the less likely end of probability. It's more likely that the gas block was drilled out too large where the tube enters.

How easy was it to remove the gas tube from the gas block?
    Retired USASOC WG-6610-10 smallarms inspector

Feedback Score
    Oh, just saw the added pictures.

Too, too much fouling around that gas tube.

What's that 'step', just to the right of center picture, on the gas tube?
    Last edited by Edgethane; 04-09-15 at 09:58.
    Retired USASOC WG-6610-10 smallarms inspector

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgethane View Post
    Oh, just saw the added pictures.

Too, too much fouling around that gas tube.

What's that 'step', just to the right of center picture, on the gas tube?
    Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BocaDan View Post
    Thanks SomeOtherGuy. I tried HK, Magpul and lancer mags. The Magpul is gen 2 & 3 mixed. Ammo is tula, brown bear and American Eagle... The gas block is low profile, not pinned but is the screw to the barrel (dimple) type. Here is a pic of where its screws meet the barrel (not too deep)... You can see the gas tube too...
    Something looks wrong with the gas tube. They would normally have a little soot at each end, but not much (or zero) in between. I would inspect the tube closely and also look at its fit within the gas block. If you have access to a new gas tube, I might just replace it as the next thing to try. They don't cost much. But if the gas block is too loose around the tube, that could be a problem also. I suspect your problem is either the gas tube or the fit of the tube into the gas block.

Has this gun been abused, used for repeated mag dumps or that sort of thing? Or maybe the gas tube got hit or bent somehow?

FYI, Tula ammo is reputed to be fairly poor. However, Brown Bear and American Eagle should be OK. Pmags and Lancers usually work fine, so it sounds unlikely that magazines are the problem.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I would try a new tube for sure.. Cheap and then you could rule out the tube.. Gas block next.. JMO
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast