Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I looking at a gas block problem?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hi Dan,

This is pretty typical of a loose fitting, low quality generic gas block.

Replacing the gas block and tube with quality units should take care of it.

While you're in there, measure the gas port diameter and the distance from the shoulder.

Report back to make sure it's reasonably sized and located.
    Last edited by Clint; 04-09-15 at 14:24.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    First thing that sticks out, since we can't see what it looked like before disassembly. Barrel is not dimpled. I suspect that the gas block could have been seated incorrectly. I would also venture to guess it is not very snug on the barrel.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the gas tube orifice is out of spec and causing gas to leak as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe gas key on carrier is plugged up somehow?

Feedback Score

Fixed lingering issues - thanks all!

Greetings folks,

Here's an update to an earlier thread I started which many helpful members here chimed in and gave opinions. Original thread for reference: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-block-problem

I finally had a chance to reassemble the upper and took it to the range. I've installed a better gas block, new gas tube and had the barrel dimpled by a professional to accommodate the new gas block. Not sure if blue was the right way to go but I loctited the gas block screws pretty tight.

I am happy to say that after 60 rounds earlier today (40 American Eagle + 20 Brown Bear) I had zero extraction, ejection, cycling problems. Tried with a single round in the magazine about a dozen times and the bolt locked back every single time. Tried with 2 magazines to be on the safe side - a 2nd Gen Magpul & a H&K one. Zero fails...

I also noticed something else on the inside of the handguard when I took the upper apart to replace the gas block & tube. See the areas marked with the arrows? They were in the vicinity of the gas block and just accumulation of what I guess to be burnt powder. So unless a little bit of gas is really supposed to seep out of that region, it was definitely a leak / poor seal...

Thank again all!

Cheers

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I keep misreading the titled as "Fixed lingerie issues ....."

Damn - keep getting my hopes up!
    john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    Blue thread locker won't hurt anything, but it won't help much either. The gas block gets way past hot enough to liquify it. If it's an aluminum block, be extremely careful if you ever remove those screws, or you're likely to take a few threads with you. In any case, don't spare the heat gun if you ever remove it.

Depending on how hot you get your barrel, red thread locker will most likely work, but this will pretty much be permanent in the case of aluminum, semi permanent in the case of steel. The dimple should be plenty to keep it in place, though. If you're really paranoid about it, then staking the screws is about the only way to make it foolproof.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Aluminum gas block? That is the craziest thing I've ever heard of.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Aluminum gas block? That is the craziest thing I've ever heard of.
    There are plenty of them out there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Threads merged.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I repaired an aluminum gas block setup at a recent carbine course at LMS Defense. The student started seeing holes in his gloves! Surprisingly, the gun continued to function, however the hold on the rifle became painful after using it for a few drills. We took the gun down, and noticed that the aluminum gas block had eroded out the side from use, and formed a plasma torch of sorts. It actually melted a slot into the troy rail, and started to chew threw the students gloves. We broke the rifle down, replaced block with a titanium unit off my backup gun and continued on.

Ryan
    Founder and co-owner/operator at 2A-Armament

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast