Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP1... To shoot or not to shoot

Feedback Score

SP1... To shoot or not to shoot

I just picked up a SP1. I think it was built in 1981 Serial # is SP136xxx
    This rifle came from a large collection and appears to never have been fired.
    It's a super cool rifle and I would like to fire a few rounds through it but it's so pure and new, I'm hesitating.
    What do you guys think??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would shoot it. I won't own a gun that I won't shoot. That is just me though.

Also, if it didn't come with box, manual, and the other odds and ends then I would say more reason to shoot it.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    That's always been my way too. All my guns are for shooting.
    My hesitation is that this one appears to be brand new in the box. It's just so perfect.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serlo II View Post
    My hesitation is that this one appears to be brand new in the box. It's just so perfect.....
    Well, to put it this way, if you don't. Someone else, at some point, will. I always figure it should be me if I own the damn gun.
    Last edited by Kain; 04-10-15 at 13:58.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serlo II View Post
    Here is my .02 worth. As an AR collector and enthusiast, I own a couple that do not get shot. One is a cherry 1977 Colt SP1 Sporter and the other a 1993 Colt Sporter Match HBAR (MH6601). Neither of these rifles have seen any usage. Both were bought second-hand, but neither appears to have been shot much in any. The SP1 has no wear at all and the MH6601, I was told, had about 100 rounds run through it when it was purchased new. When I got it, it came in the box, in plastic, with all of the paperwork and accessories. I will not be shooting either of these in order to maintain their condition. I did recently pick up a 1981 Colt SP1 Carbine which is in very nice condition, but it has been shot. I have shot it since I bought it. Excellent shooting carbine by the way. In addition to the SP1 Carbine, I have 30 other ARs that do get shot because I built/bought them to do just that. I do not need to shoot the two other Colts. Frankly, If I had your 1981 SP1, I would do my best not to shoot it and keep it preserved just as it is. That is from my collector standpoint. From an enthusiast standpoint, the same advice.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an old Colt. It gets shot. It is probably my favorite "fun" rifle.
    Absolutely no reason not to unless you are purely a collector. I was lucky to come into one 8 years ago and I got it just to shoot. I know what they go for on gunbroker but I would rather have fun and enjoy what I have. They are guns, not stock options.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I have an old Colt. It gets shot. It is probably my favorite "fun" rifle.
    Absolutely no reason not to unless you are purely a collector. I was lucky to come into one 8 years ago and I got it just to shoot. I know what they go for on gunbroker but I would rather have fun and enjoy what I have. They are guns, not stock options.
    For the two older Colts I do not shoot, I still enjoy having them. They are premier pieces in my AR collection. I do not have to shoot a gun to appreciate it. I have a couple pistols in pristine condition that I do not shoot either. I have many others I can shoot. With 114 firearms, I have a lot of choices.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    If it's really unfired, I'd keep it as a collectible and get another AR to shoot. The SP1 in mint condition will never go down in value because it's a Colt. Five years from now when President Hillary has banned any further manufacture of semi-autos and all pre-existing ones are NFA items, your new unfired SP1 will be worth a small fortune.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm another member of the "I shoot all my guns" crowd. I do have a couple of guns that I "baby" a bit because getting parts for them would be an issue, but they all get shot.

With that said, I don't look down my nose at those who keep "safe queens." It's not my money, and if someone derives joy from ownership, that's perfectly OK with me.

From my perspective, the question boils down to what you want to do. Since you said you'd like to put a few rounds through it, that's what I'd do.

Feedback Score
    Well, I bought it to shoot. Since its over 30 years old and never been fired, I'll let it sit in the vault for a while. I may sell it to a collector and purchase one that has been fired for my own use. I'll have to think about it. I appreciate all your viewpoints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast