Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SP1... To shoot or not to shoot

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serlo II View Post
    Well, I bought it to shoot. Since its over 30 years old and never been fired, I'll let it sit in the vault for a while. I may sell it to a collector and purchase one that has been fired for my own use. I'll have to think about it. I appreciate all your viewpoints.
    If you decide to shoot it, please le me know. I would like to have the opportunity to take it off your hands before you shoot it. It would go well with my 1981 SP1 Carbine and my 1977 SP1 Sporter.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Will do!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Id say shoot it and love it. Hell, dig a hole in the yard and really get your Nam on...

Feedback Score
    Seriously, shoot it and enjoy it. It isn't uncommon for me to leave my fan boy builds in the safe, and spend a day at the range with the old SP-1. One of my favorite rifles.

Feedback Score
    … oh, my SP-1 was unfired when I traded for mine. I was in the same quandary as yourself. But now that I fired it, it is mine… the wear is mine. And my son will enjoy it as well!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serlo II View Post
    I just picked up a SP1. I think it was built in 1981 Serial # is SP136xxx
    This rifle came from a large collection and appears to never have been fired.
    It's a super cool rifle and I would like to fire a few rounds through it but it's so pure and new, I'm hesitating.
    What do you guys think??
    Well here is my .02cents also. I had a very good friend that had collected for years, and owned some really neat guns but would never shoot them. You see he was always considering their pristine unfired collector value. Well one day he was diagnosed with cancer, one year later he was dead. His family in their haste to turn guns into cash blew out the collection pennies on the dollar. I know my friend many times contemplated shooting some of his guns but just could not bring himself to do it. So I say to you, enjoy your guns and if you want to shoot them do so, life is to short. Anyway like I said, just my .02 cents.....
    Last edited by casador; 09-11-15 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Pics...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oh without question shoot it, otherwise you will just stare at it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Shoot it and enjoy it! They are a really fun weapon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To the OP; well its been 6 months since up first posted this pondering about shooting your colt. Have you shot the damn thing yet?

To Casador; That's terrible about your friend. I figure my family will do the same thing after I am dead so I use all my guns.

Full disclaimer: I am a gun whore... there I said it. My guns are not neatly stored in the gun safe protected in a sock or nice little case. They all all piled on top of one another because that's the only way they will all fit in the safe. They get knocked around, dropped, and fall over. I view them as a tool, when eventually all tools break and have to be replaced. I buy nice guns that are top of the line. They are scratched and scared. Used and abused, Rarely cleaned. No wooden guns of any type all synthetic stocks on my bolt actions that will take abuse.
    And remember, you haven't been hog hunting until your driving 40+mph with your NVD in total darkness when the AR-15 next to you gets knocked out the open jeep and the rear wheel runs over it. I only thought LAV gun tests were extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12