Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Squad Scout

Feedback Score

Springfield Squad Scout

My 3rd time out with this rifle. While its not tactical looking its well balanced (minus the bipod) and points well. I would like to pick up a stock that offers a pistol grip so Ill have better contol when shooting faster.
    I do love shooting it.
    A person at the range said its not an accurate rifle. Something about having to bed the stock to apply pressure to the barrel?

Anyway heres a vid of it sending 20rds down range.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jlkIVwuWnf0

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    This probably needs moved to the Other Semi-Auto Forum:

If you're looking for a pistol grip, I would look into a VLTOR Modstock. Here is my Socom with one:

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post
    My 3rd time out with this rifle. While its not tactical looking its well balanced (minus the bipod) and points well. I would like to pick up a stock that offers a pistol grip so Ill have better control when shooting faster.
    I do love shooting it.
    A person at the range said its not an accurate rifle. Something about having to bed the stock to apply pressure to the barrel?

Anyway here is a vid of it sending 20rds down range.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jlkIVwuWnf0
    Its a Battle Rifle NOT a precision rifle,,tell the guy at the range to move down a few tables and keep his comments to himself,,LOL !!! I watched the vid,considering you using a red-dot and no rear bag if your keeping all your shots on the paper or even in the black your doing fine. A standard Scout rifle is a 2 or 3 inch MOA rifle with most ball ammo/surplus depending on what it is,it will do better with match stuff. If the rifle locks up good your fine,yea you can do NM upgrades to it & it will help but shoot it a bunch first and determine what it can and can't do then go from there. I have heard good reports about the Archangle stocks,maybe worth a look. Not a true pistol grip but almost. Congrats on a awesome rifle,,keep us posted on how ya make out !
    http://www.archangelmanufacturing.co...m1a-precision/

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the stock suggestions.

Maybe ill sell this and pick up a precision rifle like the Sig 3000?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post
    Thank you for the stock suggestions.

Maybe ill sell this and pick up a precision rifle like the Sig 3000?
    SSG 3000 is discontinued with dim prospects of being imported again. Ever.

They are going for more than your Scout Squad which is infuriating as they literally had two at a Walmart near me for 1499 a piece. "Oh it'll be there later. It's just a bolt action".

Another hard lesson learned. And no, they were gone as soon as I found out.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have an early Scout squad I picked up in the late 90s during the Clinton assault weapons ban. It's a solid shooter and probably the best choice if you want and M 14 pattern battle rifle. The 18 inch barrel is a little handier but it retains the full-size, standard M14 gas system. The SOCCOM's shorter modified gas system is a weak point.

As described above it's a 2-3 MOA capable battle rifle. Mine has been reliable and accurate to that standard. I'm running an Aimpoint M2 with a cheek riser. I'll second the recommendation for the VLTOR mod stock.

If you're looking for a precision rifle, and /or looking to mount higher powered optics on it you should probably look at an AR 10 variant or a bolt gun

The fellow at the range was correct as far as the requirements for bedding and tuning if you want to turn the M 14 platform into a precision/match rifle. While it is possible, it is expensive and requires careful maintenance/tuning /babying to maintain that accuracy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Go shoot the rifle and find out for yourself if it's accurate enough for your purposes
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input and responses.

I'm surprised no votes for an EBR stock, Ive heard they are heavy...

Ill check out the Vltor stock, but if the sage ebr is just a little bit more why wouldnt i get it?
    Last edited by zombi3; 04-17-15 at 07:22. Reason: delusional

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The sage stock is heavier, costs more and IMHO gives no mechanical performance advantage over the VLTOR - pus the sage handles like a pig.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Simple upgrades like shimming the gas system can drastically improve your groups. Factory as others have said its a 2-3 MOA gun. Shimming the gas sustem will bring you down to around 1.5 to 2 with decent ammo. Shims are dirt cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast