Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for building a bench in uneven basement

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    I just bought a really neat tool called a pivot square and at angle where the posts will be going is 82 degrees. It should be pretty easy using the miter saw, but as far as the lag screws go have any of you tried the Spax lag screws that don't require pre drilling?
    Last edited by black22rifle; 04-28-15 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    He is exactly right. If it were me I would decide the height of the bench and the intermediate framing for the legs. Take a 4' level and some 3" lags and fasten the 2X6's to the wall. Then take 2 1/2" deck screws and put the other 3 sides of the frame together. Use temporary 2X4 legs, make sure you don't put them in the corners where the 4x4's go and attach the 3 sided framing to the 2X6's on the wall. You should be able to measure your temporary legs and get them pretty close but this is the time to use the 4' level to make sure your framing is level especially the top. Once you have it fastened off all you need to do is temporarily secure the 4x4's where they go and then take a piece of plywood or a piece of 2X4 lay it on the floor along the slope and put a line on both of the sloped sides. that is your angle. Now you have to cut the 4X4 along that line. Realize a skilsaw won't cut all the way through a 4X4. You have to cut from both sides. That is when you will see just how skilled you are. Do the 2 cuts line up? From there all you have to do is put the 4X4's in the corners and secured them with the decking screws. Cut the tops of the 4x4's off flush with the framing and install your top. Done and secure. If you make a shelf on the intermediate framing it will stiffen it up all the more.
    This. Clear and concise and will be rock solid. The only suggestion I would add is to use MDF instead of plywood and to use two layers of it glued and screwed together. I did that and then added some inexpensive laminate flooring on top of the MDF to protect it from moisture when I set down a can or bottle of whatever I'm drinking.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some great advice above. You could also use these:

http://www.richelieu.com/us/en/categ...86/sku-NCM1075

Feedback Score
    Nice beer you have there!

That's how I build my bench, 4"x4" posts then framed with 2"x4"s. I used 2" thick planks for the top, thinner shelving below. It's Rock solid. I don't have the slope issues. Hopefully you are fairly dry down there. The mention of slope sounds like it may be older?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    You're missing a bottle of the Bock. Now that is a good beer.
    Hells yes. Amber bock is delicious.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That also is were those beer coasters come in handy..lol

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Some great advice above. You could also use these:

http://www.richelieu.com/us/en/categ...86/sku-NCM1075
    interesting... I will look into those.

yes my house is pretty old, although I don't know how old exactly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Had a similar issue with my work area in my basement. Shimmed it and carried on without worry or issue.
    This^. Built a work bench for my son-in-law and just shimmed it until level.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You could bolt triangular braces to the wall to mount your top on. They're easy to make since you have a miter saw.
    Then you don't have posts to worry about and it's a little easier to walk around your bench.

Feedback Score
    Make leveling feet with large bolts and jam nuts in the legs. That way you can adjust for changes in the floor (settling) or bench (warpage).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12