Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CREATINE: Everything You Need To Know

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Will,

Since last Thursday, I have been in a loading phase with Creatine monohydrate. I have continued with my normal lifting routine, but notice my muscular soreness has elevated noticeably from my pre-creatine levels. Is there any reason I would be more sore after using creatine than before?

Is the loading phase inhibiting my kidneys from flushing the normal amount of lactic acid or something?

I have the same feeling of soreness as if I haven't worked out in a couple months and hit it hard the first day back. but I have been on the normal routine for months.
    Creatine is not known for increasing DOMS per se, so not sure what or if there's a connection there. You don't have to load if you don't want to of course.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Creatine is not known for increasing DOMS per se, so not sure what or if there's a connection there. You don't have to load if you don't want to of course.
    It's not a terrible soreness, just the only real side effect that I've noticed that may not even be attributed to the creatine consumption. I just thought I'd ask if there were any explanations as this is the only thing that I have changed.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's not a terrible soreness, just the only real side effect that I've noticed that may not even be attributed to the creatine consumption. I just thought I'd ask if there were any explanations as this is the only thing that I have changed.
    Well, one could hypothesize that the cell swelling effects of creatine loading might increase DOMs or something along those lines, but it's not been reported in the lit, so pretty much a WAG on my end. Perhaps you're just training a tad harder from the addition of the creatine.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Been wanting to try creatine.....but the reports of accelerated hair loss make me hesitant.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I've been taking creatine since 4/30. So about 3 weeks.

I have noticed an increase in muscle size. Mainly in the bi's/tri's due to the shirt sleeves becoming tighter. I dont have any measurements but notice all around size increase.

I don't "max out" on anything anymore due to fear of injury. However, on barbell flat bench I was at 255# for a set of 8 as my max prior to creatine. I've only had 2 chest workouts since starting and yesterday with no spotter I was able to get 9 reps at 255#. I only bring up no spotter because I believe I could have gotten 10 but when I am in a gym alone(no one actually at the gym) and have no means to call for help I didn't want to risk not being able to get the 10th up. Hopefully next chest day someone will be in the gym and I'll be trying for 10.

Side note: Will, how much credence do you give to 1 Rep Max Calculators such as this one: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

When I was in the Corps and actually maxing out on stuff because I was 23, my max was 325# on bench and whatever weight I did for reps and plugged in to this calculator correlated well.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've been taking creatine since 4/30. So about 3 weeks.

I have noticed an increase in muscle size. Mainly in the bi's/tri's due to the shirt sleeves becoming tighter. I dont have any measurements but notice all around size increase.

I don't "max out" on anything anymore due to fear of injury. However, on barbell flat bench I was at 255# for a set of 8 as my max prior to creatine. I've only had 2 chest workouts since starting and yesterday with no spotter I was able to get 9 reps at 255#. I only bring up no spotter because I believe I could have gotten 10 but when I am in a gym alone(no one actually at the gym) and have no means to call for help I didn't want to risk not being able to get the 10th up. Hopefully next chest day someone will be in the gym and I'll be trying for 10.

Side note: Will, how much credence do you give to 1 Rep Max Calculators such as this one: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

When I was in the Corps and actually maxing out on stuff because I was 23, my max was 325# on bench and whatever weight I did for reps and plugged in to this calculator correlated well.
    Sounds like creatine is GTG for you! The the 1 Rep Calculator above gives their sources and likely a decent approximation of the 1RM with a margin or error. There's too many variables to getting a really accurate 1RM calculated from number of reps with X % of 1RM it's a rough guide at best.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Sounds like creatine is GTG for you! The the 1 Rep Calculator above gives their sources and likely a decent approximation of the 1RM with a margin or error. There's too many variables to getting a really accurate 1RM calculated from number of reps with X % of 1RM it's a rough guide at best.
    I only ask because the caveman in me says "try 340#, the 1 rep max calculator says your there." But the person who doesnt want to get hurt in me says "it's not worth it."
    Last edited by Smash; 05-22-15 at 09:24.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I only ask because the caveman in me says try 340#, the 1 rep max calculator says your there. But the person who doesnt want to get hurt in me says it's not worth it.
    Well, if you expect say a 10-20lbs margin of error, might be 320 or 360. End of the day, no way to know 'till you try it, assuming you want to be able to answer the ever popular "how much can you bench?" Q which is the eye roller Q of all long time lifters.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Well, if you expect say a 10-20lbs margin of error, might be 320 or 360. End of the day, no way to know 'till you try it, assuming you want to be able to answer the ever popular "how much can you bench?" Q which is the eye roller Q of all long time lifters.
    Even these days, knowing about what I can do, I always answer that I don't max out any more. Not to be cool, but because I really don't. I also don't wear Beats by Dre in the gym with color coordinated attire.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Even these days, knowing about what I can do, I always answer that I don't max out any more. Not to be cool, but because I really don't. I also don't wear Beats by Dre in the gym with color coordinated attire.
    I tend to avoid those that do personally...I don't go below 6 reps these days, and even that's rare. Maybe one week a month I'll do a few sets at around 80% 1RM which is approx 6 reps but still stop a rep short of failure. I'm much more concerned with longevity than max strength these days personally. My days of 500lb squat/deads and 400lb bench, loooooooooooooooooong gone.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast