Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with my Spikes SBR

Feedback Score

Problem with my Spikes SBR

Hello all, I've been a longtime lurker but joined up so I could post a question about my 11.5" AR, I'll try to follow the format about technical issues as much as possible:

What make and manufacture is your AR? Spikes lower with CMMG 2 stage trigger, spikes 11.5 ST-15 upper (carbine length gas system). AIM Surplus NiB BCG and PRI gas buster CH.

2. What modifications were made prior to actually shooting it: Only major mod other than listed above is the Spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer

3. What type of ammunition did you use? This is the part that gets weird. It only cycles the crappy steel cased Tula .223. It has been 100% with over 500 rounds, not a single malfunction. I tried shooting some CBC 77 gr OTM 5.56, and it was about 75% reliable, literally every 4th round would FTE (see pic). With winchester 5.56 it would FTE about every 6th or 7th round.

5. Were modifications made to the gas port? None that I know of

6. Take a good picture of the part or problem in question. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. See below

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a rifle not cycling brass cased 5.56, but will cycle steel .223? Thanks for any info!

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Take out the ST-T2 and try a real buffer before anything else and see how it runs. The ST-T2 is known to cause issues. Also check your gas key and see it it loose, check your gas rings, and your gas block as well unless it's a FSB style.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 04-30-15 at 17:10.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Take out the ST-T2 and try a real buffer before anything else and see how it runs. The ST-T2 is known to cause issues. Also check your gas key and see it it loose, check your gas rings, and your gas block as well unless it's a FSB style.
    Thanks! Yeah I took out the ST-T2 but haven't been back to the range yet. Gas key doesn't appear to be loose, and I have a FSB gas block.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I concur. Try an H2 or H3 buffer. It sounds like you have an over gas issue with the standard pressure 5.56 rounds.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll echo the same thing on the spikes T2. It caused me no end of problems including the same thing in your pic. The H2 solved my issues.
    "You cannot play fair with people who don't care if you get wiped off the map. You don't have to hate everyone who isn't part of your tribe, but it is foolish to keep caring about people who don't care about you."
    Speech at the second National Policy Institute conference, December 26, 2013.

See you soon, AC.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Try a H2.
    Could be oovergassed.
    What extractor assembly is in the bolt?
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    Try a H2.
    Could be oovergassed.
    What extractor assembly is in the bolt?
    Sorry haven't been able to test it with the carbine buffer yet. To answer you extractor question, it's an AIM Surplus NiB BCG and they have this to say about their extractor:

"When installing the extractor to the bolt, a crane-o-ring is inserted with the spring to insure proper ejection."

Feedback Score
    Yes I had the same thing happen with my spikes stt2 on my 7.5 pistol. H2 solved my problems.

Sent via pony express

Feedback Score
    Well I don't have an H2 buffer, anyone recommend a good place to get one that won't break the bank? A regular carbine buffer on my last range trip had the same result, lots of FTE. I emailed Spikes and they weren't much help, I'd expect that a factory spikes upper would run 5.56 but I guess having it only run .223 is acceptable to them.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizzolicious View Post
    Well I don't have an H2 buffer, anyone recommend a good place to get one that won't break the bank? A regular carbine buffer on my last range trip had the same result, lots of FTE. I emailed Spikes and they weren't much help, I'd expect that a factory spikes upper would run 5.56 but I guess having it only run .223 is acceptable to them.
    I would just get one from BCM. As the weight of the buffer goes up so does the price because of the use of Tungsten weights in heavier buffers (or that's my understanding anyway).
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast