Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with my Spikes SBR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I say something is up with the BCG. Not sure why your case will not eject off the face of the bolt, as the picture shows its extracting off chamber of barrel. If it's a buffer issue, then you need a heavier buffer than a T2 weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    sounds over gassed to me as well. IIRC the spikes weight is between a carbine and H2. Heavier should solve the issue. If not, report back. I expected the same results with the carbine buffer.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The ST-2 is a great upgrade for a CAR buffer... and still not as useful as an H-Buffer, especially for overgassed stuff. I have one rifle where the ST2 works brilliantly, and it's primarily because it was intended to be under-gassed and ran with a lighter semi bolt carrier and the ST2 means I can feed that thing junkier ammo and only get intermittent problems.

Everything else, H2 (or A5H3, especially on SBR's).

You haven't done anything wrong, it's just a tolerance stack of Spike's trying to design around maximizing reliability for users who want to run really junky ammunition with a menagerie of parts - and both your buffer and upper are designed to compensate for that with the result when combined being a really overgassed SBR with too little reciprocating mass. H2's are cheap (compared to anything else that would fix it completely really cheap), that should fix it - an H3 might be an ideal answer, but those cost more and are harder to find.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I can't help but wonder about the NiB BCG in this equation as well. From what I have seen most 11.5" SBRs will work with an H2 and even H3.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Huh, I hadn't thought about NiB BCG reducing friction, therefore decreasing the gas required and making an already overgassed gun more overgassed. That's a good thing to keep in mind.

I had bad luck with a Spikes barrel. It was 5.45x39 but the bore was 5.56, so it keyholed at 25yd. After dozens of emails and calls, I eventually gave up and decided I'd just post about it a lot on the internet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    Huh, I hadn't thought about NiB BCG reducing friction, therefore decreasing the gas required and making an already overgassed gun more overgassed. That's a good thing to keep in mind.

I had bad luck with a Spikes barrel. It was 5.45x39 but the bore was 5.56, so it keyholed at 25yd. After dozens of emails and calls, I eventually gave up and decided I'd just post about it a lot on the internet.
    When was this? I have a Spike's 5.45 upper and it's never had an issue with accuracy. I know they discontinued the 5.45 now though.

Only issue I had was with a FN CHF barrel from Spikes that needed quite a bit of rear windage to zero. They had that swapped out and back to me in 2 days.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree on the heavier buffer. Also, make sure you have a good spring. (Like a Springco Blue.)
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
    When was this? I have a Spike's 5.45 upper and it's never had an issue with accuracy. I know they discontinued the 5.45 now though.

Only issue I had was with a FN CHF barrel from Spikes that needed quite a bit of rear windage to zero. They had that swapped out and back to me in 2 days.
    Early last year. I started a thread on CalGuns asking for suggestions, bore diameter was mentioned, I slugged it and got around .219 (I think) when spec is .214 (again, I think... this was a while ago). The measurement I got was right for a 5.56 gun, but the chamber was for 5.45.

I bought it pre-owned but supposedly un-used, but they didn't say that was a problem... they were just too much of a hassle for too long for it to be worth it. They didn't have any numbers regarding correct bore diameter, I had to find one, then he didn't believe that one so I had to find another one, then he didn't get back to me for weeks, etc. Had he just said "sorry, it's used so no warranty" that would have been a much better response than what happened. The result was horrible customer service, not responding to emails for weeks, until I called and said he was still waiting on numbers.

I understand that most of their stuff is supposed to be pretty good, but I won't buy any of it again.

Feedback Score
    Take a good look at the gas tube where it goes into the gas key.
    I recently bought a used Noveske 10.5" CHF barrel which had a worn out gas tube.
    I replaced the gas tube and all went back to normal.
    The diameter at the tip of the gas tube should be around 0.179"

Feedback Score
    I'm having the same issues as in the picture on a ar10. Over gassed?? Running a mega arms 16" bbl on a meg upper and lower. All dpms internals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast