Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FN SCAR-L

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

FN SCAR-L

First of all, I'd like to thank Brett from FN Herstal (https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?u=285) for bringing a SCAR-L to the Vickers Advanced Carbine and Pistol class this past weekend (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16765), it was an opportunity that few civillians have had thus far.

My first impressions....the SCAR-L is one of the most well thought out platforms I've seen, period. It's an evolutionary system that incorporates the best of several different systems.

The engineering, construction, ergonomics, simpliciy and reliablity really impressed me.

The SCAR-L certainly feels lighter and handles better for me, than a similar DI AR carbine with similar accessories on it, and I much prefer the buttstock on the SCAR series to anything I've tried on an AR. The adjustablity and folding mechanism remind me of the later variants of the SIG 55X series (Swiss StuG-90), which is one of the best out there, period.

Ergonomics were great overall, although some of us who handled it thought that they would have set the selector up like a M4/M16 if they were designing it. Handguards remained manageable even after many, many magazines had been put through it by the students at the class.

I honestly can't remember how many rounds Brett said he had through the 10" barrel but it's accuracy was superb. He did not clean it for the entire class and when it was field stripped on TD 3, it was FAR cleaner inside the receiver than a DI gun would have been, and cleaner than a typical AK would have been with it's long stroke gas system. There was one failure that I am aware of, using Prvi Partisan SS-109, which certainly isn't known for it's consistency.

Breakdown for field stripping was a snap, and detail stripping, including the removal of the barrel, was very easy with the supplied tool.

Someone was really thinking when they designed this system. J.M. Browning and D. Saive would be proud. I've had an appreciation for FN systems for years, having owned numerous FN-49's, FAL's, P-35's, and having shot a number of FNC's. The SCAR is definitely a 21st Century rifle system.

I know this sounds like a puff piece, but I was honestly blown away by the quality and design of the system. As I told Larry, I don't care if it's a 17th Century matchlock musket or a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range, if it goes bang, I dig it. I really dig this carbine.

When it makes it to the civillian market, I'm buying one.

Enough jibber-jabber......time for pictures:

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Detail stripped FN SCAR-L, and reassembly:

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Outstanding post dude.
    I had the opportunity to get some trigger time on one at a Pat Rogers class a while back. If they ever hit the civilian market there will be one in my house.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hot Damn!

Me want me want me want !

Thanks for posting the pic's and in depth review Templar. The scar series are at the top of my my buy list and this reinforces it.

Any word on how much for them ?
    May 2-2011

Woke up at 7am turned on the TV & saw the news and just smiled ear to ear!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Great stuff! I've never even seen a SCAR "in the flesh" but it's definitely a platform I'm interested in.

Thanks for sharing the info and pics.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for taking the time to post this.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I share a lot of Templar's views on the rifle. It looked to me to be a good rifle design aimed at being simple to operate and service, simple to support from an armorer's perspective, easily customizable to a user's needs, and simple to manufacture. It is lightweight, easy to use for those who have been trained on the AR platform, runs pretty clean, and seems to be able to take a lot of abuse.

I'm definitely interested in buying one of the civilian models when it comes out.

My only points of concern after handling the rifle in person are:

1. Front real estate -- as you can see in some of Templar's pictures, with a Scout light mounted almost an entire rail section is taken up. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for your hand to wrap around the front of the weapon to help pull it into the shoulder. I believe that this can be fixed quite readily by simply putting on something like a stubby VFG on the bottom rail.

The bottom rail, however, is also attached to the barrel. I don't know if pulling on a VFG that is essentially attached to the barrel is going to cause any issues for the weapon. Based on how well thought out the rest of the weapon is I assume that FN has accounted for this, (as the design itself practically screams for a VFG to be used, in my opinion) but I've always been taught about the dangers of assumption.

2. Stock -- The stock on the SCAR is a really trick setup. It is almost infinitely adjustable and it folds nicely out of the way when you don't want it extended. It appears to be a high-impact polymer unit that could take quite a bit of abuse, but I don't know if it is "soldier proof" at this point. Again, this is just my observation based on handling the part for a few minutes. I don't think civilians and law enforcement have anything to worry about on the stock.

Just looking at the part I imagine that it would take a really nasty impact to break the hinge that the stock folds on, and that a similar impact on an AR weapon could well break the stock or bend the buffer tube rendering the weapon inoperable (The SCAR will run just fine with a broken stock) so that at a bare minimum the SCAR is no more vulnerable in this regard than the current issue weapon.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbi View Post

Any word on how much for them ?
    I believe I heard Brett mention that the pricepoint was going to be comparable to a Colt 6920 when you add in a decent rail system. I don't know if that was in reference to the military contract or the civilian model, however....

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Any timeframe yet on when they will be available for civilian purchase?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast