Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brownells new a1 barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    They still work well with A1 rear sights.
    May be true but a retro A1 with a "F" stamp fsb is like putting a Colt barrel on a FN receiver. They are both quality parts and it will work but something just feels wrong =P

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gagekko View Post
    May be true but a retro A1 with a "F" stamp fsb is like putting a Colt barrel on a FN receiver. They are both quality parts and it will work but something just feels wrong =P
    The other option is to find an original Colt barrel assembly or a 20" 1/12 barrel without the FSB and buy an original .625" FSB and have it installed. Most retro purist will find an original barrel that is correct for the build. Many that are just getting into retros are satisfied to just have the correct look and not so much all of the correct parts. I am working on a 605 build right now. I have the choice of getting an original Colt barrel assembly and have it cut down to the proper length (15") for the 605. My other options are to get the Brownells 20" 1/12 pencil barrel or the AR15Sport 20" 1/9 pencil barrel. Any of these would have to be cut down, so why not buy the closest thing (Brownells) and have the correct barrel profile, correct twist, and the proper diameter FSB. The fact the it is "F" marked is not issue for me since that would be removed anyway.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    According to Brownells, they are sourcing the correct FSB for their future barrels. They are also looking at providing them with the proper front site post and flat slipring.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gagekko View Post
    The government does this all the time. I seen colt uppers A2/A3 with replacement FN barrels. They shot the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAR-AR-M16 View Post
    According to Brownells, they are sourcing the correct FSB for their future barrels. They are also looking at providing them with the proper front site post and flat slipring.
    This will be a very good thing.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12