Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR platform Improvements?

Feedback Score

AR platform Improvements?

Guys what do you feel would be a overall improvement in the AR15 gas platform.

I know I would like to see a new style front sight tower/gas block. The current design works well but I would like to see something with 1913 rails built in or a new fold down front sight along the lines of a GG&G.

Or

A new four or five sided tower. Meaning the portion of the barrel where the tower sits is four or five sided. This would make the tower install almost full proof along with a very strong tower that cannot be bent or knocked out of position. I can see this would increase the machine time and cost of a barrel and tower but I think its time for some fool proof towers to come out.

What do you guys think, what would you like to see?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom

I know I would like to see a new style front sight tower/gas block. The current design works well but I would like to see something with 1913 rails built in or a new fold down front sight along the lines of a GG&G.

Or

A new four or five sided tower. Meaning the portion of the barrel where the tower sits is four or five sided. This would make the tower install almost full proof along with a very strong tower that cannot be bent or knocked out of position. I can see this would increase the machine time and cost of a barrel and tower but I think its time for some fool proof towers to come out.

What do you guys think, what would you like to see?
    I know of a company that is working on your first item. It will be sweet for sure!

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom

I know I would like to see a new style front sight tower/gas block. The current design works well but I would like to see something with 1913 rails built in...
    I am deployed right now, but I will search through the pics on the laptop... There are some pictures of what you describe there somewhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis
    I am deployed right now, but I will search through the pics on the laptop... There are some pictures of what you describe there somewhere.
    Excellent thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    I know of a company that is working on your first item. It will be sweet for sure!

C4
    Does the rail extend forward over the barrel? Like Ned Christiansen's M-Guns prototype light mount?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart
    Does the rail extend forward over the barrel? Like Ned Christiansen's M-Guns prototype light mount?

I have never seen Ned's prototype so I cannot say.

C4

Feedback Score

Not sure about the mounting method, but the concept seems interesting. His mount also includes tritium dots at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position, just below the elevation level of the front sight post. He maintains they work well when bracketed around a plain black post up close, yet you still retain the precision offered by the fine post during daylight scenarios.

His front sling mount is pretty clever too.

Feedback Score
    The picatinny rail is an awfully bulky accessory mounting system. I'd like to see something lighter and less bulky become the standard. Maybe some kind of turn-lock that just needs holes or slots could be developed (like Leupold scope mounts).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz
    The picatinny rail is an awfully bulky accessory mounting system. I'd like to see something lighter and less bulky become the standard. Maybe some kind of turn-lock that just needs holes or slots could be developed (like Leupold scope mounts).
    Oh no! Not PCAP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis
    Oh no! Not PCAP
    I take it that means it's been tried and wasn't such a good idea? Oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast