Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Accuracy Evaluation of a Noveske 18” SPR Barrel

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Ive been hearing this from various other sources as well. I love my 16" Recon barrel but once I shoot it out I doubt Ill get another noveske, not when I can get a LW or Criterion for $200 less.
    Without starting a war, I can tell you some vital people left Noveske after John passed.

Checkout Joel's barrels at V7 Weapons Systems. He worked closely with John for years. He might know a thing or two. Lol
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    I recently was in the market for a new barrel, and Noveske was one of the options. I ended up going with Krieger as that is my go-to brand of barrels.

However in my research of Noveske barrels, I saw a lot of discussions stating that the current builds are not of the same quality (in terms of accuracy) as the ones older ones such as the one tested here. Indeed I know of at least one that doesn't come close to the performance of this one. This could just be the rumor mill but it would be interesting to see how a current manufacture barrel performs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lennyo3034 View Post
    I recently was in the market for a new barrel, and Noveske was one of the options. I ended up going with Krieger as that is my go-to brand of barrels.

However in my research of Noveske barrels, I saw a lot of discussions stating that the current builds are not of the same quality (in terms of accuracy) as the ones older ones such as the one tested here. Indeed I know of at least one that doesn't come close to the performance of this one. This could just be the rumor mill but it would be interesting to see how a current manufacture barrel performs.
    The only rumor I've seen concerned complete rifles, not the barrels. That being said, rumors are all they are. One member on here had a small issue with one of two rifles he bought last fall but that's the only one I've actually seen. They also took care of his problem promptly and with minimal hassle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skp View Post
    The only rumor I've seen concerned complete rifles, not the barrels. That being said, rumors are all they are. One member on here had a small issue with one of two rifles he bought last fall but that's the only one I've actually seen. They also took care of his problem promptly and with minimal hassle.
    I'm new to this site, so apologies if I'm not familiar with the history here. There was a thread on TOS where a guy was getting poor accuracy out of his SPR barrel. Noveske's response was that 1.3 to 1.8 inch groups at 100 yards was acceptable. A few other people had similar experiences. Considering that Noveske is pushing Krieger price point, I would not be too satisfied with that.

Molon has some examples of excellent shooting Noveske barrels so these could be isolated incidents or different years of manufacture.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It seems to me that most if not all the 18" barrels Noveske is making these days are lightweight profile. Arn't heavier profiles better for accuracy?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssGasOrBrass View Post
    It seems to me that most if not all the 18" barrels Noveske is making these days are lightweight profile. Arn't heavier profiles better for accuracy?
    The short answer is yes.

Stiffer barrels are better for accuracy, and typically heavier profiles are more stiff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    The short answer is yes.

Stiffer barrels are better for accuracy, and typically heavier profiles are more stiff.
    Why would a company, known for precision barrels only sell lightweight profiles in the longer length offerings? makes no sense to me. I was shopping for a SS 18-20 match grade precision barrel and saw that Noveske only had LW profile and did not even consider it. I guess a LW 18" would make a good 3 gun barrel but for an SPR/DMR type build its not ideal. Dont know what they are thinking on that one...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lennyo3034 View Post
    I'm new to this site, so apologies if I'm not familiar with the history here. There was a thread on TOS where a guy was getting poor accuracy out of his SPR barrel. Noveske's response was that 1.3 to 1.8 inch groups at 100 yards was acceptable. A few other people had similar experiences. Considering that Noveske is pushing Krieger price point, I would not be too satisfied with that.

Molon has some examples of excellent shooting Noveske barrels so these could be isolated incidents or different years of manufacture.
    Of course there are exceptions, but a good hand loader can likely achieve sub-moa out of any quality barrel with hand loaded match ammo and some load development. In the case from TOS, I would bet they were using bulk ammo or something was wack in their load.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 05-28-15 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    5 (86%)
    Much thanks for this review, this is the kind of objective posting that makes M4C so useful.
    Owner/CEO
    Light Tac LLC

Owner
    Mutiny Arms LLC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also appreciate this review. The SPR 18" Noveske barrel is my next purchase. My understand is they offer it in medium weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast