Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE 6/25! SEE LAST POST!! 9 mm Bullet Seating Problem

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After reflecting on this riddle, I say with confidence that using a Lyman M die would eliminate the problem, which relates to seating a .356 bullet in a case expanded by a "regular" expander.

Reloading and shooting swaged or cast bullets for some guys is more trouble than it's worth. The vast majority of my handgun shooting for the last 45 years has been done with bullets that I cast, sized, lubed, and then loaded. Many variables are at play.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by darr3239 View Post
    You seem to have eliminated the possible machine/die problem areas. My vote is on the funky looking bullets.
    I wondered that but had zero trouble with conical bullets in .40 and .45. They seat vertical and straight but the problem children bulge the case to one side while the other side is straight. The OAL is a little short so they don't stick in the lands but they feed fine except in these instances.

I had a guy tell me that a competition seating due would solve it. Any experience with those?
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    After reflecting on this riddle, I say with confidence that using a Lyman M die would eliminate the problem, which relates to seating a .356 bullet in a case expanded by a "regular" expander.

Reloading and shooting swaged or cast bullets for some guys is more trouble than it's worth. The vast majority of my handgun shooting for the last 45 years has been done with bullets that I cast, sized, lubed, and then loaded. Many variables are at play.
    I'm definitely not casting my own. Lol. I'm not familiar with the M Die though I must admit, I'm not a fan of Lyman.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've yet to try the M die myself... but ran into a similar problem when Pappabear bought some .45 hollow point bullets. One of his over-bred 1911s wouldn't feed some of the rounds with non-concentric bulges. I quit loading them until we could solve the problem.

I'm not sure if hand aligning the bullets as straight as possible before running the press would help.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah. I gand align all of them since these aren't bevel base bullets. I'm going to cal BBI and ask them a few questions too. I don't see how a comp seater would help because the Dillon die is so tight that very little bell on the mouth will drag the sides. Can't get much tighter than that and not shave lead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I only have 3 months experience, but had the same problem,iam only trying to help.

After noticing FC had one side alot higher on the mouth of the case,.751 on one side .746 or so on the other.
    I trimmed the cases to .746 and opened the bell up more. After trimming i beveled the inside and out like a rifle cartridge to remove rough edges. Then took a little more time making sure the bullet was straight bofer seating.

My bulge went away after doing that, but i dont know which step fixed it. I think it was opening the bell up more than i had it set. Seems to me with the tight bell and uneven case mouth its was guiding the bullets in crooked bulging one side of the case.

Before the insults start flying, this is only how i fixed it on mine. But i dont have my 9mm bulging on one side anymore. Iam only useing lee dies no compitition or special dies. I didnt have any feeding problems on my glock but thought it would be bad having it like that accuracy wise. I posted the same question a while back and got laughed at and told by some i also didnt have the dies adjusted right. Havent change the adjustment of my dies but the bulge went away. Hope this helps..

PS. I had the same problem with a coal at 1.135,1.146 and 1.150, coal didnt help in my case . I run at 1.146 to 1.150 useing 124gr bullet. I had the problem not only with FC brass but mixed range p/u brass ,alsowith different bullets . I think belling more fixed it,or maybe i just started guiding the bullets straighter when seating, try belling more first,thats the problem with doing 3 things at once,not sure what fixed it.
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 05-25-15 at 13:29.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I get the same thing with plated round nose bullets, but the hollow points were really bad. I just don't have the patience to resolve this issue for pistol ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunhand View Post
    I only have 3 months experience, but had the same problem,iam only trying to help.

After noticing FC had one side alot higher on the mouth of the case,.751 on one side .746 or so on the other.
    I trimmed the cases to .746 and opened the bell up more. After trimming i beveled the inside and out like a rifle cartridge to remove rough edges. Then took a little more time making sure the bullet was straight bofer seating.

My bulge went away after doing that, but i dont know which step fixed it. I think it was opening the bell up more than i had it set. Seems to me with the tight bell and uneven case mouth its was guiding the bullets in crooked bulging one side of the case.

Before the insults start flying, this is only how i fixed it on mine. But i dont have my 9mm bulging on one side anymore. Iam only useing lee dies no compitition or special dies. I didnt have any feeding problems on my glock but thought it would be bad having it like that accuracy wise. I posted the same question a while back and got laughed at and told by some i also didnt have the dies adjusted right. Havent change the adjustment of my dies but the bulge went away. Hope this helps..

PS. I had the same problem with a coal at 1.135,1.146 and 1.150, coal didnt help in my case . I run at 1.146 to 1.150 useing 124gr bullet. I had the problem not only with FC brass but mixed range p/u brass ,alsowith different bullets . I think belling more fixed it,or maybe i just started guiding the bullets straighter when seating, try belling more first,thats the problem with doing 3 things at once,not sure what fixed it.
    I appreciate that. One thing is for damn sure...I'm not trimming straight wall pistol brass; this can be fixed without resorting to that hellish endeavor.

That said, I wouldn't want to put it on soft or inconsistent brass because it's irregular.

If I put any more bell on the case mouth it will stop dead going into the seating die. I too prefer as much bell as I can get for that same reason; it eliminates shaving and seating problems. I'll report back when I have something.

Keep the ideas coming. I guarantee this won't be a straight forward solution.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I stopped picking up tula brass brass becouse it did it so bad it didnt even wana fit in a lee FCD without it trying to resize it,the bulge was so bad on one side. That brass seemed alot stiffer than FC or other range p/u brass. I havent tryed tula brass brass since to see if it still did it.

I know you guys dont trim pistol brass,i trimmed it trying to figure out this problem. It does take a lot of time..lol
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 05-25-15 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tex, you analyzed the issue and solved the problem. Good work.

About the o.p's 9mm issues, variation in case thickness from brand to brand and even within the same brand may be the culprit. Obviously, thicker brass has a smaller internal capacity and will bulge before thinner brass will. Military cases are the thickest.

Another factor is that 9mm cases are tapered in such a way that the case diameter is smaller at the mouth, and the taper increases from the mouth on down. When using a carbide sizing die, we are running the case through a carbide ring. This ring produces the same case diameter from top to bottom. We no longer have a tapered case. We now have a straight walled case. During seating, we are forcing a bullet down a straight brass tube that used to be tapered. So, the bullet base may bulge the case and create a coke bottle shape. If it chambers and shoots, we are happy. Swaged and cast bullets become a big pain at this point because the have a larger diameter.

Now for the rest of the story, read about the Lyman M die--which is really an expander die with a two diameter shank.

Where is Eurodriver? He knows all this stuff.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast