Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XM16E1 and M16A1 clone builds

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

XM16E1 and M16A1 clone builds

For the past couple months, I have been collecting parts to build two retro ARs - XM16E1 and M16A1. In the past week, I have gotten a lot closer. I managed to get the upper finished for the M16A1 and the lower finished for the XM16E1. Still waiting to get the lower for the M16A1. That may take a few months. I still need to send the GM no-forge code upper (XM16E1) off to US Anodizing to have the XM Gray anodizing done. Everything else is sitting idly by in anticipation. Here are a few pics of the progress.

XM16E1 lower assembly

Here are a few pics of the M16A1 upper on the XM16E1 lower.

When I get the XM upper done, it will get distressed to match the lower. The same when I get the A1 lower. It will be done to match the A1 upper.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    That looks great. Love the distressed look.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAR-AR-M16 View Post
    That looks great. Love the distressed look.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is an update on the progress. The GM no forge code upper (XM16E1) has been sent to Victor at US Anodizing to have the XM Gray hardcoat anodizing. They started working on it last week. Hopefully, I will have it back in my hands in a couple weeks. A few weeks ago, I ordered a Nodak Spud NDS-16A1 lower for the M16A1 clone and I am still in a holding pattern with it. In the meantime, I received an e-mail from Maurice McKay at McKay Enterprises telling me that they finally had a limited amount of new A1 lowers (anodized in XM Gray by US Anodizing) that were available. I immediately gave him a call and got it ordered. It arrives at my FFL tomorrow. This means that I will be able to finish up the M16A1 clone in the next couple days. If all goes well with the XM upper, I will have that build done in just a few weeks. As I stated in another thread, I am already gathering parts for my next build (605). I have a bunch of parts arriving today from Indiana Army Surplus. I recently won an auction on GB for a Colt 604 upper and I have a chrome 601 slickside BCG coming as well. Next step is to get the barrel and have it worked on.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Here is an update on the progress. The GM no forge code upper (XM16E1) has been sent to Victor at US Anodizing to have the XM Gray hardcoat anodizing. They started working on it last week. Hopefully, I will have it back in my hands in a couple weeks. A few weeks ago, I ordered a Nodak Spud NDS-16A1 lower for the M16A1 clone and I am still in a holding pattern with it. In the meantime, I received an e-mail from Maurice McKay at McKay Enterprises telling me that they finally had a limited amount of new A1 lowers (anodized in XM Gray by US Anodizing) that were available. I immediately gave him a call and got it ordered. It arrives at my FFL tomorrow. This means that I will be able to finish up the M16A1 clone in the next couple days. If all goes well with the XM upper, I will have that build done in just a few weeks. As I stated in another thread, I am already gathering parts for my next build (605). I have a bunch of parts arriving today from Indiana Army Surplus. I recently won an auction on GB for a Colt 604 upper and I have a chrome 601 slickside BCG coming as well. Next step is to get the barrel and have it worked on.
    Can you please post some pics of the McKay lower when it arrives. Curious to see how they look now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAR-AR-M16 View Post
    Can you please post some pics of the McKay lower when it arrives. Curious to see how they look now.
    Will do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well guys, I finally have the M16A1 (early to mid 1970s build) done. It sports the new McKay Enterprise lower. As you can see, I have already distressed the lower to closely match the Colt upper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I got the McKay Enterprise lower home last night and got started, it did have a couple issues of which I have already alerted Maurice McKay about. The only two issues I had with it are that the takedown pin holes were just a bit too small. I used a .250" drill bit and fixed that. The second thing is the metal around the receiver extension area. There are some raised ridges, but they are just slightly raised. The anodizing is first class since it was done by US Anodizing (same guys that do Nodak Spuds receivers). Also, these lowers are priced at $139 as compared to Nodak's at $160. If McKay can get the two issues solved, these will be a nice alternative to Nodak. It will just be a matter of them having them in stock. Here are some pics. Bear in mind, I have already distressed the finish to closely match that of the Colt upper.

You can see the ridges in this pic.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Looks great. Thanks for posting. If they fix the issues and don't raise the price, they will be a good alternative to the NODak lowers.
    Last edited by militarymoron; 07-02-15 at 10:02. Reason: no need to quote entire post with pics

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As far as the price goes, I just found out that they are now $155. I am glad I got mine early. I am still waiting to hear back from Maurice about the two issues. I am sure they will address these in the next batch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast