Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got pulled over

Feedback Score

Got pulled over

I got pulled over last night on the way home from work, no front license plate.

When I pulled over I got my CCW permit and my drivers license out, CCW on top. When the officer approached I handed him both forms of I.D. and he seemed suprised by the CCW and asked if I was carrying.

My question is, do police not run the plates of the car they pull over before they approach the driver? In Ohio, where I reside, your CCW is tied to your license plate in the system.

Thanks
    "There are no losers on range #34"
    --Aaron Roberts

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    In Virginia if the officer runs the Virginia issued plate before getting out and talking to you it'll show that the registered owner of the vehicle has a VA CHP.

I don't think a Virginia officer will see any other states permits if running an out-of-state plate but I've been wrong before and it kinda felt like this.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I just assumed, Ha!, that the officer would use every tool at his disposal to get as much info on me before approaching my car for his own safety.
    "There are no losers on range #34"
    --Aaron Roberts

Feedback Score
    It is not tied in here in Arkansas. When I run my wifes tag, it doesnt show she has a CCW.

So, it might not have told him.
    ~D

Feedback Score
    In TN it is tied to your D/L not your tag, so I won't know until I run the D/L number.
    Old age and treachery always overcome youth and skill

Feedback Score
    same here...only with DL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Detective_D View Post
    It is not tied in here in Arkansas. When I run my wifes tag, it doesnt show she has a CCW.

So, it might not have told him.
    ~D
    Its legal down there to do that?, the state guys I talk to said its illegal to run plates for no reason/personal reasons in Va.

Not bashing or anything, just asking

Feedback Score
    it was actually done to verify a change in vehicle when we did a trade in.

Yes it is illegal for personal reasons.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    To answer your question no an officer does not usually run your plate before stopping you. The only way I will run someones plates before stopping them is if I am running plates while I am patrolling. Normally I run a persons DL/ID before running the tags. Now what you see while watching police shows is the officer calling the plate into dispatch. This is done incase there is a problem with the stop/person. To answer the other question your permit can be tied to your plates and/or your DL, it is usually both. I'll give you an example of a stop.

Me: 213
    Dispatch: 213
    Me: busy traffic Atlantic and Myers VA plate KEU-5467.

Matt

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hp35 View Post
    I got pulled over last night on the way home from work, no front license plate.

When I pulled over I got my CCW permit and my drivers license out, CCW on top. When the officer approached I handed him both forms of I.D. and he seemed suprised by the CCW and asked if I was carrying.

My question is, do police not run the plates of the car they pull over before they approach the driver? In Ohio, where I reside, your CCW is tied to your license plate in the system.

Thanks

In Ohio, if the car was in your name, it would have come up if the dispatcher ran the plate the officer called in. For whatever reason, the dispatcher also may not have relayed that info to the officer. (I've had that happen a couple of times).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast