Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Got pulled over

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe some Texas LEO-types can confirm, but I believe here your CHL is tied to your DL, and any time you are asked for ID, you must also show your CHL. I don't remember whether or not you have to reveal your carry status, but I do in a traffic stop. I usually just keep my hands on the wheel, and tell them first thing that I have a CHL and I'm carrying. My experiences have always been pleasant, other than the occasional speeding ticket that I deserved, but one time I did have a state trooper ask me why I thought I needed to carry a gun. He asked if I drove through a bad neighborhood or carried a lot of money. I though that was kind of a stupid question to ask an obvious "good guy" who only got pulled over for a brake light out. I just told him I carried for the same reason he did. Apparently, that was a good enough answer. I got a warning, and fixed the brake light on the way home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had the misfortune of being stopped twice in the last 8 months for minor speeding violations (47/35 and 76/65) after years of driving the same way with no stops.

First time it was a local officer on a motorcycle. I handed him my permit and DL, told him I was armed, he could not have cared less. Told me just to leave it where it was. Result: I got a ticket.

Second time was a state trooper on an interstate. I had another person in the car with me, and decided not to disclose for the reasons alluded to by "Skintop." Trooper never asked, I never told. Result: I got a ticket.

I realize this is a small sample, but it did reinforce my feeling that most cops don't really care one way or another.

Feedback Score
    In PA you are required to to tell an officer if you have a ccw/weapon. The two times I was stopped I told the officers and they both made me take my weapon out hold it by the barrel and hand it to them. This just seemed very dangerous to me, possile accident ect. They then pointed it down and unloaded it and after the stop gave it back to me unloaded.
    I think it was very unnecicary and caused tension. Only one of the stops did I receive a ticket.

Feedback Score
    There is no way in hell I would ask someone to take out their ccw and hand it to me for any reason.

WHY????? That makes no sense to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    I too would love to see the code reference.

I have repeatedly been told that if you have a CCW permit and you are carrying when you are stopped, you are NOT REQUIRED to advise that you have a permit and you are armed.

If this is incorrect, I'd love to have a refence to cite.
    Same here. I've been under the assumption that you don't have to disclose to an officer that you're CCW'ing in VA if pulled for speeding, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPR View Post
    Same here. I've been under the assumption that you don't have to disclose to an officer that you're CCW'ing in VA if pulled for speeding, etc.
    He responded that he misspoke.

I think we're all in agreement that VA is a state that does not require disclosure.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345