Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheapest way to fill an IFAK?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay34 View Post
    What's everyone's observation? Is it less expensive just to buy the pieces of the kit that you want individually or is is less expensive to buy the contents in a Kit by DARK, Chinook, Tactical Medical Solutions?

I'm not a medic. I am interested in a real IFAK and not a boo-boo kit and I know that I have to spend some real money and get some real training. Just finished watching Doc Spears Combat Lifesaver and looking to take a class in the near future.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I found it was easier to buy a pouch from AWS and fill it with gear from Rescue Essentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    This isn't a "use the search button" post, but there are a number of excellent threads on IFAK/BOK options. Along with some discussion of various packing lists. You can spend as much or as little as you want, and there are several manufacturers and good options for each component piece.

The easy button, and my standing recommendation for a basic start: https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/prod..._standard-kit/

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by acjones20 View Post
    My point is that without basic first aid, a complicated IFAK is like trying to figure out which Schmidt & Bender scope to put on a bushmaster
    That funny Doc- do you recommend the 1-8? Will the canted Front sight mess with my sight picture!!!! There are plenty enough people doing some pretty good classes on wound packing/ basic trauma care. They are reasonably priced for the average person as well. Anyone who is around guns should take one of these- that would give a good starting point on a decent IFAK
    Last edited by quackhead; 06-17-15 at 16:50.

Feedback Score
    I started the thread thinking "cheapest way" and finalized my decision by picking and choosing "a-la-chart" because I wanted certain things in my kit.

I almost done ordering everything to go in my kit and this is what I ended up buying:
    TYR SOF Pouch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLbq22ptvuo Not my video
    3 CAT TQs
    HyFin Vent twin pack chest seal directly from NAR
    Decompression needle
    Combat Gauze expires in 2017
    ETD: 4" Emergency Trauma Dressing direct from NAR
    Nasopharyngeal airway direct from NAR
    small roll of Gorilla tape
    disposable gloves

I still need to buy a pair of shears. Is it worth it spending the $25 on a pair of RipShears or just a set of regular trauma shears will get the job done. Any other big holes in my kit that need to be there? Yes, I need a sharpie, couple of safety pins, a regular gauze roll, some anticeptic wipes - but anything huge that I am missing the boat on?

YES, I know that I need more training on using the supplies in my kit - I'm still working on that too.

Feedback Score
    Honestly dude, If you have no training, ditch the decompression needle. You'll do more harm than good with no training. My blowout kit is a CAT TQ, a few 5x9 abdominal pads, a couple cravats (triangular bandages) trauma shears, med tape, gloves, 36 FR NPA, and chest seal. That's for the IFAK.

Expanded blowout kit I keep IV supplies, Decompression needle, and OPA as well as more NPA, and extra bleeding control.

As an EMS instructor, I can't recommend a first responder or EMR. Go straight for your EMT-B at the minimum. Then go to Advanced or medic if need be. Advanced you'll be able to treat any type of trauma.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123