Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The American Defense UIC true ambi lower is a fine basis for a quality AR build

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

The American Defense UIC true ambi lower is a fine basis for a quality AR build

Now that AXTS is unwilling to sell just their lower receivers, it seems to me that the American Defense UIC full ambi lowers are a pretty good choice (they even look like the AXTS lowers -- LOL). The Duty-Series units like the one shown here are IMHO a decent deal at $240 with all ambi controls and takedown pins either installed or included.

If you haven't seen these UIC lowers before, they include an ambi bolt catch AND release and left-side mag catch actuator (which works in conjuction with standard mag catch parts to make the mag catch ambi). The bolt catch/release assembly is proprietary, with the left side paddle having a small "tail" that interfaces with the right side lever. The safety can also be ambi if you use something like the BAD-ASS. You have to provide the FCG, safety with detent pin and spring, standard mag catch parts, buffer pin and spring, receiver extension, endplate, castle nut, stock body, and pistol grip.

The magwell has a nice hidden bevel to speed mag changes. ADM also includes a threaded post with a polymer tip that you can adjust to make your upper/lower fit tight, but I find these sorts of things a waste of time so I just left it off the lower.

Looks very nice and works perfectly so far. I can't detect anything that would have put this lower into the "Duty-Series" category, which is supposed to include minor finish issues and other nonesuch.

Here are some shots of my "stripped" lower as it comes from ADM.

Here is the completed rifle.

I'm using a standard forged flattop upper with a Centurion Arms 16" 5.56 tapered bore LW barrel, DD Slim 15 KeyMod handguard, Griffin M4SD II flash comp, TA11D ACOG, and offset Micro T-1. The FCG is standard USGI and you can see the BAD-ASS ambi safety.

I find the ambi controls very well thought out and easy to use. The right-side bolt catch/release in particular is awesome. There were no tolerance issues with any of the standard LPK parts I used. All the PMAGs I've tried so far drop free (M3 30, M2 30, M3 20).

I put 25 rounds through this rifle during a brief range visit last week and experienced zero issues. So far, the UIC lower is shaping up to be a very nice option for shooters who want a true ambi lower with an ambi bolt catch/release vs just a right-side bolt release.

I will update as I put more rounds downrange.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Very nice!!! What's the weight on that lower?

Cheers
    Shannon

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spring-Diver View Post
    Very nice!!! What's the weight on that lower?

Cheers
    Shannon
    It's definitely an easy rifle to shoot...

As for the lower's weight, I actually have no idea. If I had to guess, it might be an ounce heavier than a standard forged lower. It certainly doesn't add anywhere near as much weight as the optics stack or the SOPMOD buttstock.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Nice. Mine will be here Monday

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The American Defense UIC true ambi lower is a fine basis for a quality AR build

Can you compare the feature set and user interface to the AXTS AX556?

Thanks,

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bzdog; 06-04-15 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    There's a lever on the right side that goes up and down that locks and drops the bolt. The AXTS has a release on the right side and the bolt locks back by pressing the mag release.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Where did you find one for $240?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Right on. I'd love to see a weight on one of these!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I also picked one up at Caporider's recommendation.
    I got the Duty Grade one because that's what was available at the time. I don't see what defect would cause it to be labeled that way though.
    I wanted a fully ambidextrous lower, I'm not left handed but I do try to shoot from my weak side often to maintain some proficiency.

Excellent quality, the right side release/catch is placed very well for my somewhat smaller hands. The right side mag release is firm without being to dam hard to activate with your finger. It's also well protected from being accidentally engaged while slung.

Comparing it to the KAC lower I had Id have to say this one is machined better without dings and scratches that were anodized over. There's no rattle from any of the additional Ambi parts on it. It also fits my upper very well, not to tight but no play.

I will say I'm not a huge fan of the ribbing on the magwell. I thinks its pretty ugly and id prefer a extra half OZ from just having it smooth.

Overall i'm very impressed with the lower. For the price it was worth it for me. It ended up only being about the same as a BCM lower set up the same way adding some Ambi controls to it. ADMs customer service was top notch. I got it two days after I ordered it. There was a mistake with the name it was shipped to but that was fixed immediately after calling them by ADM calling and faxing my FFL.

Last edited by Jaysop; 06-13-15 at 18:52.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast