Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Houston

Feedback Score
    I'm in Pasadena. I usually go to the Texas City Municipal range. I'm looking for something beyond 100 yards. Does anyone know of a range that is good for 200 - 500 yards (or meters) ... ???
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    I also appreciate the fact that they're not range nazis and don't mind if you feel like ripping a mag every once in awhile.

Definitely one of the most laid back places to shoot. When I have to punch paper, they're definitely one of my first choices.
    Not too far away in the MARKSMAN indoor gun range in South Houston. Pistol and pistol carbine only. I've been going there for years and years. Pretty nice place and if you do an FFL transfer there (ask for Jason) you get a free range day. Once you pay you shoot all you want all day. Your lane is yours until you're done.

Feedback Score

Houston

Bringing this back up, I'm more than likely moving to the Houston area this summer. Where I am at now in central Texas we have a couple of ranges with "free range" bays, steel, you can set up barricades, what ever you want to work on. My question is are there any ranges within 100 miles with a similar set up? All I've been seeing are traditional 100 yard range "lane" type set ups. I'm open to memberships too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mballz23; 02-23-17 at 21:23.
    Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Psalm 140:4
    Profile pic by 556 Productions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mballz23 View Post
    Bringing this back up, I'm more than likely moving to the Houston area this summer. Where I am at now in central Texas we have a couple of ranges with "free range" bays, steel, you can set up barricades, what ever you want to work on. My question is are there any ranges within 100 miles with a similar set up? All I've been seeing are traditional 100 yard range "lane" type set ups. I'm open to memberships too.
    I wrote this in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    So, the deal is, I personally don't really know of any private ranges in the area with open sign-ups currently (e.g., Bayou Rifles, Pearland Shooting Center, etc.), which would have been your best bet for something where there's rifle bays or whatever so that you can just run around and do whatevs with either rifle or pistol. Most of them have pretty long waitlists, with no defined timeline of when you might be able to get in. Depending on what side of town he's on (Houston is huge, after all), it might be worth investing in a membership over at Cawthon, http://cccshootingcomplex.com/prices/. It's a really nice range (honestly, probably the best outdoor one I've been to), and not that far of a drive if you're near the NW side (which I'm guessing isn't the case, given that you mentioned Beaumont), and kinda puts you near College Station, too.

Beyond that, my preferred indoor range of choice is Shiloh Shooting (http://www.shilohshooting.com/), though obviously this will be pistol-centric. I'm friends with a lot of the guys behind the counter, and I help sweep and clean after they close, so they let me do stuff like drawing and stuff; pretty sure most of the regulars that show good handling skills are allowed to do that, too. Every second and third Sunday, they hold two-ish hour handgun classes going over whatever random material that my friend pulls out of his ass; I occasionally AI those, depending on my schedule, but it's a good opportunity to do stuff like reloads, draws, low-light, SotM, etc. if you don't have any other time. They also offer a first responder/military discount for range fees. They don't really like people to shoot rifles, but that's purely a function of noise and its impact on other customers, and they don't really care if it's a slow day and not many other customers around (or if you use a can).

I know both Athena Gun Club and Boyert Shooting Center allow you to do draws after you've been certified by their staff, and also cool with rifles all day. Both are a bit pricey, though, especially Athena, though to be fair, they are really, really nice indoor ranges.

I've not ever attended a class at Area 59, but I've been there multiple times for Steel Challenge. Relatively basic range, but they're doing a good job at sprucing it up, with benches and shade at most of the bays (the goal is to have them at every bay; I ain't been back in a couple of months, so they might have finished that project). The Steel Challenge/USPSA folks are real nice folks, too.

I know Phil out at The Impactzone hosts guys, I've been out there for a Shivworks ECQC and CWS Active Shooter/Low-Light course, and saw a Suarez class out there before, so a bit of a mixed bag. I believe there's also some competition shooting that happens out there.

My go-to local guy for training classes these days is Matt Shockey (of P&S fame) who owns Falcon Tactical (https://www.falcontactical.net/). He hosts plenty of big name guys out on a range at Eagle Lake (which is west of Houston), and I've been out there with Pannone, McNamara, etc. It's a nice range, and if you snag accommodations, you'll typically get to hang out with the instructor a lot, as they typically also stay on-site; the owner of the range, Nolan is also a phenomenal cook, and a super nice fellow. The range as of now is only open for classes hosted through Falcon Tactical (as Nolan's business is mainly trophy hunting, he has a bunch of exotic animals out on the property), as Matt's been super busy with his new baby, though there's been talk about opening the range back up to private range days and the like, as there's been some outside interest in helping run the range.

About the same distance from Beaumont to Eagle Lake is Nacogdoches, which is home to CSAT (http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/), always a classic.

Hope that helps. Sorry it's mostly pistol-centric, but that's my primary focus on training, and since I found Shiloh, I've not had too much impetus to dig around for better ranges, as I'm basically allowed to do whatever after the range closes.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I wrote this in another thread:
    Awesome. Thank you kindly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Psalm 140:4
    Profile pic by 556 Productions

Feedback Score
    Checking for active members in the Houston area. Looking for someone to go shooting with on a more regular basis.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I'm an active member in the Houston area (southeast Harris County / Galveston county) and I'll be shooting at the Texas City municipal range this next week.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    I'm an active member in the Houston area (southeast Harris County / Galveston county) and I'll be shooting at the Texas City municipal range this next week.
    I've probably seen you out there at some point. Lately, I'm out there pretty regularly with my stepson.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123