Thread: which ak for folder conversion?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

which ak for folder conversion?

Ok so I've got 3 ak's that can be used. First my goal is a solid travel rifle that is as compact as possible. I don't want to do an sbr as i travel across state lines regularly.
    I've got an m92 pistol, draco c with the finished UF trunion, beater saiga with rear conversion, bulgarian 24mm fsb w / brake.
    Easiest route would seem to be the saiga. Install shorter brake/or flash hider, ace folding block.
    M92 would need an extension installed, drill rear for side folder.
    Draco would get an underfolder and a shorter extension.
    So given those options, what would you do and why? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Can't turn a pistol into a rifle without NFA. So if you don't want SBR then you can't do your pistol.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesavery22 View Post
    Can't turn a pistol into a rifle without NFA. So if you don't want SBR then you can't do your pistol.
    This ^ and the Saiga would probably be the best route. If it is a beater, you can remove the rear trunnion, mill the receiver for a proper side-folder trunnion, then refinish or leave it as-is. There is plenty online about doing the conversion, and proper Russian parts can still be found for now. I have done this twice - once with a drill press and Dremel, once with a mill. The mill turned out much better. If you're not up to it, there are quite a few gunsmiths that do this.

You can also just add the K-Var side folder stock kit and get an approximation of a real side folder to either your Bulgarian or the Saiga.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Can with a permanently affixed barrel extension and 922r compliance. I'm thinking it's best to use the saiga. Looking at the magpul zhukov bits to use. Stock folds and adjusts, the handguard will work perfectly fine as i don't have a retainer on it. Need to ditch the craptastic tapco forend it came with anyway.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Just noticed the kvar link that one has been out of stock for a while. Besides that, it'll increase the lop beyond my liking. I appreciate the input folks. I've contemplated having the barrel chopped, pinning and welding the brake to fsb similar to the ak103k but can't bring myself to have that much wasted length of space when it could be used for a longer barrel. So saiga it is!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Here is the gun in question.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I converted an SLR-105, SAR-1, and a SGL21 from fixed stocks to folders with Polish Beryl folding stocks.

Here is how the SLR turned out . . .

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Don't know how I missed that stock. Looks like exactly what I need. Thanks! Is $100 for a used one a fair price?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit47 View Post
    Don't know how I missed that stock. Looks like exactly what I need. Thanks! Is $100 for a used one a fair price?
    Yup, they are getting harder to find and are only available on the secondary market currently. I've been on a waiting list for an importer for years now lol. Picked up all of mine on several different EEs.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18