Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice on oil filled heaters?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Any advice on oil filled heaters?

Know little about them. My HVAC runs off natural gas. My basement has emergency heat/electric. But my Genny will only run a small heater.

Advice on oil filled heaters? We have a ceramic one but I think it takes a LOT of watts and isn't too efficient.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What about a kerosene heater?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I know nothing about kerosene heaters? are they a fire hazard? how is storage?

Likely would be used primarily for emergencies as opposed to daily usage.

Feedback Score
    Electric resistance takes the same number of watts to heat the ambient air regardless of whether it’s ceramic or metallic.
    Adding oil just adds thermal mass which makes temperature fluctuations slower. Slower to heat and slower to cool. Electricity costs much more than natural gas for the same heat output everywhere that I know of.
    With portable kerosene heaters you’re living in the flue gases. If you have great ventilation you have to run the heater more.
    Natural gas with individual zones is the best way to make sure everyone is comfortable. If you live in a state where the compressor stations are designed for cold temperatures you’ll probably never have a problem keeping warm and you can get by with a small generator for the blower motor in your hvac.
    Propane would be another option.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    I know nothing about kerosene heaters? are they a fire hazard? how is storage?

Likely would be used primarily for emergencies as opposed to daily usage.
    They’re safe. They have switches that shut them off if knocked over. I think kerosene stores pretty well too. I mean, they don’t smell great, but in an emergency...

Feedback Score
    I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for, but have you checked out the MrHeater Buddy Heaters? Runs off propane.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I've found propane Buddy and "torpedo" heaters to better and more efficient alternatives to electric types. In my area, propane is cheaper than electricity and, of course, works when the power is out.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 02-23-21 at 00:34.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have 2 Mr Heater Buddy... but my understanding it that they are NOT to be used indoors. More hunting blind type use. Looking for something for family warmth in emergency indoors.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The buddy heater I have is indoor safe. I’d recommend the hose to attach to a 20lb tank over a mess of the little bottles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    I have 2 Mr Heater Buddy... but my understanding it that they are NOT to be used indoors. More hunting blind type use. Looking for something for family warmth in emergency indoors.
    They are indoor safe. They do have a low oxygen shut off ya know...

Been using mine indoors for years to keep the dogs extra toasty.

I do have a few of the oil filled radiator heaters and they are ok but if the electric goes out they are useless. Compared to my Buddy heaters the electric heaters do not put out crap for heat either.
    Last edited by DG23; 02-24-21 at 19:29.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast