Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your ready vehicle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What is your ready vehicle

Just curious if anyone has put any thought towards vehicle selection incase of an emergency or crisis. What is your vehicle of choice (must already own it), any modifications, and why did you choose it?

I recently purchased a 2015 Tacoma V6 4X4. I plan on getting some armor for it (steel front bumper, skid plate, rock sliders). I also plan on lifting it and supercharging in the next year or two. I figured toyota's are well known for their durability, it's small enough to navigate between stalled cars or downed trees in an emergency, and obviously having a pickup is extremly versatile no matter the situation.

I also have a 2012 Ducati 848evo sportbike if I need to get somewhere fast, but I don't think it would actually be as practical as a dirtbike or something that could go off road.

One drawback to my sportbike and if I supercharged my truck is that they require 91 octane gas. As gas ages it degrades and looses octane rating. This also means I wouldn't be able to siphon gas from cars not being used or use my gas cans for my mower. Diesel would be superior in that regard but I don't see myself getting one anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If your going to be sourcing gas after the fact may as well just snag the first 4x4 diesel you see too. Or hit the local truck dealer, hypothetically of course.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    A winch and proper recovery gear would also be important.

Mine, now that I think about it would be our 2014 Wrangler 4 door. It's lifted with rock sliders, 34" tires and the winch. And of course the full size spare. Most important is all the support gear to get myself unstuck and unbroken Off road.
    Plenty of space and decent power for what it is and I can take the top and doors off in post apocalyptic America and look bad ass.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsop View Post
    A winch and proper recovery gear would also be important.

Mine, now that I think about it would be our 2014 Wrangler 4 door. It's lifted with rock sliders, 34" tires and the winch. And of course the full size spare. Most important is all the support gear to get myself unstuck and unbroken Off road.
    Plenty of space and decent power for what it is and I can take the top and doors off in post apocalyptic America and look bad ass.
    Very good point, a winch is certainly well worth the investment.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    A good winch is worth the investment, a cheap one is a paperweight

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mines a 4 door rubicon. 3.5" lift, 35" tires, tube bumpers and rockers, 12,000lbs winch, and it's loaded with everything I need to get out of a jam. I leave home everyday with the ability to never return if need be.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was in South Florida for Hurricane Wilma. Most everyone lost power for a week, 95% of streetlights and traffic signals out, and no power meant no gas unless station had a generator and no buying anything with a credit card easily (some places reverted to carbon papers). My vehicle to get around was a BMW 1200GS motorcycle with TCK80 knobbies. ~50MPG do all get anywhere vehicle over any terrain. I just drove on the side of the road as all cars treated every intersection as a 4 way stop. Kept 4, 5 gallon gas cans filled for hurricane season and was well prepared otherwise (Charcoal, Alcohol, Water, Food, cash, Pool shock for neighbors pool). It was a week long party for my neighborhood and I could easily travel for supplies (more alcohol and non perishables). Very very uncomfortable for millions of people, but we were just on vacation and had a great time.

Noah

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depends on the emergency or crisis, and I'd apply a lot of the feedback in the overt vs covert thread running right now.

I was once really glad to be in a 1984 chevy celebrity.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    I was in South Florida for Hurricane Wilma. Most everyone lost power for a week, 95% of streetlights and traffic signals out, and no power meant no gas unless station had a generator and no buying anything with a credit card easily (some places reverted to carbon papers). My vehicle to get around was a BMW 1200GS motorcycle with TCK80 knobbies. ~50MPG do all get anywhere vehicle over any terrain. I just drove on the side of the road as all cars treated every intersection as a 4 way stop. Kept 4, 5 gallon gas cans filled for hurricane season and was well prepared otherwise (Charcoal, Alcohol, Water, Food, cash, Pool shock for neighbors pool). It was a week long party for my neighborhood and I could easily travel for supplies (more alcohol and non perishables). Very very uncomfortable for millions of people, but we were just on vacation and had a great time.

Noah
    My state (VA) was hit by the derecho a couple years back, we lost power for about a week also. Unfortunatly I was vacationing in Pittsburgh and wasn't home for it, I really would have liked to see people without power for a week. I have a 500 gallon propane tank so I have heat and cooking covered. Working on getting a propane generator.

Feedback Score
    Dodge 3500 extended cargo van. Has an old school 360 and a Dana 60 with 4.11's. Can hold well over a ton of stuff inside safe and dry, and about everything else I own can fit in my cargo trailer. It's very marginal off road if the ground gets wet, or on powdery sand, but it's got good ground clearance and sometimes surprises me where it can go. Coming up soon on 200,000 miles, but I'll keep it around simply because it's so handy.

My Dodge 1500 pick up coughed up the mighty Hemi 5.7 not long ago and was traded away... Next ride for me will be undoubtedly be a Toyota pick up, but can't make up my mind if I want a Tundra or Tacoma... Most likely the Tacoma.

Four wheel drive is absolutely critical for any serious escape vehicle...

Speaking of Escape, we also have one of those (traded in my dead truck towards it), but it is firmly in the grocery-getter category. If you must have a car, I say make it a hatch back.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast