Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 161

Thread: What is your ready vehicle

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    236
    Feedback Score
    0
    Update for anyone who said Subaru:

    DO NOT under any circumstances, rely on these things for mild off roading. They canít do it. My 2015 outback with a 1Ē lift and HD rear springs, in ďX-ModeĒ would not traverse a mildly muddy 2 track. Not wet soupy mud either. And I have Hankook Dynapro A/T2 tires on it.

    It does well on snowy or rainy roads, but Iíve lost all confidence in it for even light off roading. In a cross-axle situation, the computer does not send power to where itís needed. Thinking about getting a used 4Runner or Cherokee Trailhawk once the $$ makes sense. I feel like something with a rear locker is a perfect balance

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lost in the Woods, Missouri
    Posts
    80
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't anticipate the end of the world but I do live in the Ozarks and anything can happen here. Currently I have a 2006 Toyota 4 runner with an ARB front bumper and Warne winch. For the 6 years prior to that I had a 1988 Mercedes SWB Gwagen turbodiesel. That thing was a beast and would go anywhere. I finally gave it up when it took me 5 months to find a new injector pump for it. I miss it but the Toyota is a better vehicle in almost every way.
    P1020585.jpg
    Last edited by TheAlsatian; 08-20-19 at 19:23.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    105
    Feedback Score
    0
    1 bada$$ 17 rspec Yamaha wolverine armored up and boosted + a trailer and roof rack for hauling out of Dodge

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    236
    Feedback Score
    0
    Got away from that Subaru, as I had a bit of positive equity in it. Bought a 2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4. Getting about 4mpg less than with the Outback, but have ~100 more HP and ~75 more ft/lbs of torque. Canít believe how horribly inefficient that Subaru was. ~24 mpg highway for a 175hp 4 cyl.

    Subaruís are awful vehicles. Mine wasnít great at anything, besides being reliable.

    Comfort, Power, Technology, Efficiency, Asthetics, and Low-Traction Capability were all poor. Jack of all trades, master of none: thatís why I bought it. Turns out, it was more like Poor to Decent at all trades, master of none.

    I recently took the Tacoma up the same muddy, rutty, washed out 2-track that the Outback couldnít complete, and it literally walked up with zero wheel spin in 4Lo.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    3,771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Got away from that Subaru, as I had a bit of positive equity in it. Bought a 2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4. Getting about 4mpg less than with the Outback, but have ~100 more HP and ~75 more ft/lbs of torque. Canít believe how horribly inefficient that Subaru was. ~24 mpg highway for a 175hp 4 cyl.

    Subaruís are awful vehicles. Mine wasnít great at anything, besides being reliable.

    Comfort, Power, Technology, Efficiency, Asthetics, and Low-Traction Capability were all poor. Jack of all trades, master of none: thatís why I bought it. Turns out, it was more like Poor to Decent at all trades, master of none.

    I recently took the Tacoma up the same muddy, rutty, washed out 2-track that the Outback couldnít complete, and it literally walked up with zero wheel spin in 4Lo.
    I wonder if that has anything to do with the new CVT transmissions because when I was looking into getting a Subaru I saw tons of videos of those things in mud and some put real 4x4 to shame. But all of them were older so if not a manual at least a traditional auto trans

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    269
    Feedback Score
    0
    My two daily drivers are my 'ready vehicles', 2018 GTS & 2019 Macan.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,503
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I wonder if that has anything to do with the new CVT transmissions because when I was looking into getting a Subaru I saw tons of videos of those things in mud and some put real 4x4 to shame. But all of them were older so if not a manual at least a traditional auto trans
    IIRC, 2014 was the last year you could get an Outback with a slushbox (5 speed). The problem with the CVT equipped ones is they're programmed to prevent putting too much strain on them, so they're all show and no go. Even with the '14 and earlier models, the NA 2.5 4 cyl is gutless and can't do much more than slightly rutted dirt roads. Even the 3.6R would be limited due to the lack of a low range.

    If you wanted a softer riding street SUV that can still tackle rough terrain, you'd be better off getting an older Jeep Cherokee XJ and upgrading it. I inherited my mom's 1997 Cherokee Country and with the exact same tires and shocks (Michelin LTX II's and Bilstein 4600's) it rode a lot smoother than my Gen 3 4Runner due to the unibody construction. Add that parts are cheap and plentiful, plus most people can work on them unlike some newer trucks.

    I ultimately sold the Cherokee because I didn't need two SUV's and the body on frame 4Runner towed my boat better. It's an '02 with 100K miles on it.



    I still have it, but don't really use it anymore and should sell it. It's just hard to get rid of an 18 year old truck that the only issue beyond routine maintenance was a broken visor latch that was $12, and a power antenna motor that was $100. Gen 3 4Runners are solid GOLD. All I've done is add a Clarion head unit for bluetooth phone and music.

    Still, I bought this last year:



    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2. With the exception of hauling stuff inside it does everything the 4Runner does, but better. Rides smoother, handles flatter, tows better, more off road capability, MUCH quicker, quieter cabin, better seats, up to date safety features, etc., etc., etc. The only thing it misses the mark on is having an SUV twin, because I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

    Crazy enough, this thing actually cost me less than what a LP Adventure modded Outback wagon would cost, and several thousand less than the '18 4Runner would've spec'd out the way I'd want it.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divineÖ

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    3,771
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    IIRC, 2014 was the last year you could get an Outback with a slushbox (5 speed). The problem with the CVT equipped ones is they're programmed to prevent putting too much strain on them, so they're all show and no go. Even with the '14 and earlier models, the NA 2.5 4 cyl is gutless and can't do much more than slightly rutted dirt roads. Even the 3.6R would be limited due to the lack of a low range.

    If you wanted a softer riding street SUV that can still tackle rough terrain, you'd be better off getting an older Jeep Cherokee XJ and upgrading it. I inherited my mom's 1997 Cherokee Country and with the exact same tires and shocks (Michelin LTX II's and Bilstein 4600's) it rode a lot smoother than my Gen 3 4Runner due to the unibody construction. Add that parts are cheap and plentiful, plus most people can work on them unlike some newer trucks.

    I ultimately sold the Cherokee because I didn't need two SUV's and the body on frame 4Runner towed my boat better. It's an '02 with 100K miles on it.



    I still have it, but don't really use it anymore and should sell it. It's just hard to get rid of an 18 year old truck that the only issue beyond routine maintenance was a broken visor latch that was $12, and a power antenna motor that was $100. Gen 3 4Runners are solid GOLD. All I've done is add a Clarion head unit for bluetooth phone and music.

    Still, I bought this last year:



    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2. With the exception of hauling stuff inside it does everything the 4Runner does, but better. Rides smoother, handles flatter, tows better, more off road capability, MUCH quicker, quieter cabin, better seats, up to date safety features, etc., etc., etc. The only thing it misses the mark on is having an SUV twin, because I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

    Crazy enough, this thing actually cost me less than what a LP Adventure modded Outback wagon would cost, and several thousand less than the '18 4Runner would've spec'd out the way I'd want it.
    I don't care about ride feel. Never notice it. Nor most of the other stuff like noise and seats. It's just not something I ever notice or pay attention to. As long as I can push the seat all the way back to stretch my legs. Never sat in a car that was uncomfortable, from trucks to little sporty cars and even tractor trailers. Safety features....eh... whatever. I have airbags and whatnot. I only ever look at reliability and price of course.

    Getting back to the Subaru. I never bought one. But when I was thinking about it the videos I saw ....some guys were hanging in there with real 4x4 on off road trails. A few even got stuck where the Subaru went through. But again, I don't know what years those cars were or their trans.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,503
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I don't care about ride feel. Never notice it. Nor most of the other stuff like noise and seats. It's just not something I ever notice or pay attention to. As long as I can push the seat all the way back to stretch my legs. Never sat in a car that was uncomfortable, from trucks to little sporty cars and even tractor trailers. Safety features....eh... whatever. I have airbags and whatnot. I only ever look at reliability and price of course.

    Getting back to the Subaru. I never bought one. But when I was thinking about it the videos I saw ....some guys were hanging in there with real 4x4 on off road trails. A few even got stuck where the Subaru went through. But again, I don't know what years those cars were or their trans.
    I get it, but I'm not the only one riding in it. Plus, once you get to a certain age and all the hard miles you put on your carcass when you were younger hit, comfort becomes more important. I also have mild OCD, so squeaks and rattles are my kryptonite. Fortunately neither the 4Runner or ZR2 have any. Neither did my '02 WRX when I sold it at 89K, and it absolutely got harder use than the 4Runner ever has.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divineÖ

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    161
    Feedback Score
    0
    IMG_2115.jpgIMG_2116.jpgIMG_2125.jpgIMG_2131.jpg

    I ended up painting my old truck, 2008 nissan frontier It was salvaged from a wreck. Love it so much, i could not get rid of it. I use it to go up to the land (bout 7 miles from my house). I have it all set up for the wife and i. I drive it once it and a while when i have errands to run. I get some funny looks with it. I store enough food and supplies in the back seat for 2 weeks. And have a carbine strapped in a custom lockbox in the back. Most likely will have a rifle on me when i get in the truck, but incase i am in a hurry. I just need to make it to the land (has everything i need, on a mountain off a beaten path)

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •