Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your ready vehicle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    You win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

We'll see if I can make this work from my phone. This ended up being way more labour intensive than I thought so here's the only readily available photo, which is just over the hood as I drive us to the BOL.

The nice part is the lack of traffic jams, even if the city is experiencing significant unrest.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    Based on several years in Africa and now in an other 3rd world paradise the vehicles that keep going are Toyota, Nissan Patrol, Land Rover Defender.

Where I am currently we had a large amount of Germans move to the north of the country in the past, they all went out and bought Porsche Cayennes. I was in the mechanics and noticed several of these getting front ends worked on. I asked the owner, what was going on and he said that the bad roads here have made him the number 1 buyer of Porsche front end replacement parts in the world.

Here we have both the Toyota Hi Lux and Tacoma. The Hi Lux is for sure the stronger of the two.

AS much as I want some sort of really cool big horse power 4x4 for my next car here a part of me says don't be stupid get a Hi Lux.

But a 500 horse power Wrangler might be fun.

Feedback Score
    BMW R1200GS. Certainly limited in many aspects, but I can haul a couple hundred pounds of gear without issue, go pretty much anywhere, and sip fuel. Far more versatile than anything with 4-wheels in terms of where it'll reach simply by size, so to me it has the distinct advantage of being able to get away from the beaten path where others are likely to hang out. Also not as susceptible to traffic jams, which IMO is a single factor that overrules any other shortfalls it may have for realistic emergency travel, when the roads are going to become parking lots.

Biggest downfall to me is relatively short range, at ~200mi per tank. Fuel is heavy, so carrying extra on the bike quickly detracts from other gear, limiting realistic self-sufficient range to about 4-500 miles, give or take. Honestly haven't really played with extending my range yet, because I just enjoy riding the bastard too much to stop

Feedback Score
    As of yesterday mine is now a 2016 4Runner trail premium. I have wanted one for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by irondude View Post
    As of yesterday mine is now a 2016 4Runner trail premium. I have wanted one for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger.
    Nice choice! I have a 4Runnner 2015 limited...Awesome truck. Wife's DD but I love it. First Toyota I've ever possessed. Wont be the last 4Runner and will just keep upgrading when the lease is up every 3 years (I hate owning. too many horror stories to count with used). Now I have a conflict with what to choose in a SHTF type situation. I was handed down a 1988 Toyota FJ62 Landcruiser last month MINT. It has 80K miles, fully maintained/restored. Now I know the 4Runner has all the bells and whistles 4x4, etc.. But I THINK I would choose the LC purely bc they are insanely bulletproof, off-road tanks. I've read about them going hundreds of miles after being shot up, wrecked, blown radiators, etc. I hope it never comes down to it, but I am not entirely sure what I would choose, but lean FJ62 bc of its simplicity under the hood, but the much better speed/power of the 4Runner is hard to walk away from.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My tacoma was stock when I started this thread. I've since added a supercharger, front skid plate, and URD short shifter. Next on my list is a smaller s/c pulley then on to lift, wheels, and tires. This was my first adventure, a 10 mile jeep trail in the Appalachian Mountains.

Last edited by nof555; 01-06-16 at 11:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
    Nice choice! I have a 4Runnner 2015 limited...Awesome truck. Wife's DD but I love it. First Toyota I've ever possessed. Wont be the last 4Runner and will just keep upgrading when the lease is up every 3 years (I hate owning. too many horror stories to count with used). Now I have a conflict with what to choose in a SHTF type situation. I was handed down a 1988 Toyota FJ62 Landcruiser last month MINT. It has 80K miles, fully maintained/restored. Now I know the 4Runner has all the bells and whistles 4x4, etc.. But I THINK I would choose the LC purely bc they are insanely bulletproof, off-road tanks. I've read about them going hundreds of miles after being shot up, wrecked, blown radiators, etc. I hope it never comes down to it, but I am not entirely sure what I would choose, but lean FJ62 bc of its simplicity under the hood, but the much better speed/power of the 4Runner is hard to walk away from.
    The FJ62 would be my choice. That is a very nice hand me down.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I was very fortunate to get this from a family member. She's quite the beast IMO. Going to put some slightly larger tires on it, maybe a roof rack with roof tent, and keep in garaged for hunting or if SHTF.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nof555 View Post
    My tacoma was stock when I started this thread. I've since added a supercharger, front skid plate, and URD short shifter. Next on my list is a smaller s/c pulley then on to lift, wheels, and tires. This was my first adventure, a 10 mile jeep trail in the Appalachian Mountains.

Gore, VA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast