Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your ready vehicle

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have two, a 2002 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 and a mountain bike. The MB will ride on the roof rack in case the 4Runner can't make it.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    2003 Dakota 4.7l. I drive it everyday and have a small wardrobe and "camping" supplies of need be along with a packed bag if I get marooned. The truck is a 2wd and has gotten me anywhere I need to go in the past 5 years or so and hasn't disappointed me yet

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    2000 Land Cruiser and a 300cc Vespa. A 250 dirt bike would be better, but at my age I sacrifice some utility for comfort. And with the CVT I can shoot while I scoot. If/when SHTF seems near I will stock up on octane booster as both vehicles use premium.

I wish Toyota made a pickup with LC drive train- would be the perfect bug out veh IMO.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    Not really clear on the whole "ready vehicle" concept but guessing it'd be my 2011 Chevy 2500 crew cab Duramax 4x4. Currently stock with a 36 gallon fuel tank (long bed), but planning on modifying my fuel capacity to 70+ gallons at some point. I get 12-15 mpg regardless what I'm hauling, and I rarely let it get below 2/3 full. I run pretty stock load range E all season radials, so I can go pretty much 90% of the places I need. Deep mud/sand/extreme rocks would stop me, but I really don't see that happening. Swollen rivers are more of a reality I'll have to deal with.

I'm not a fan of lifting a vehicle, although I see it's benefits. But after living in rural New England, Montana, and Alaska, and running stock 4X4's w/decent tires pretty much everywhere I wanted to go (forest service roads, logging trails, hunting in the mountains, I just don't see the need for myself. Of course, if you are a hard core rock climber or mudder, that's different.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Not really clear on the whole "ready vehicle" concept but guessing it'd be my 2011 Chevy 2500 crew cab Duramax 4x4. Currently stock with a 36 gallon fuel tank (long bed), but planning on modifying my fuel capacity to 70+ gallons at some point. I get 12-15 mpg regardless what I'm hauling, and I rarely let it get below 2/3 full. I run pretty stock load range E all season radials, so I can go pretty much 90% of the places I need. Deep mud/sand/extreme rocks would stop me, but I really don't see that happening. Swollen rivers are more of a reality I'll have to deal with.

I'm not a fan of lifting a vehicle, although I see it's benefits. But after living in rural New England, Montana, and Alaska, and running stock 4X4's w/decent tires pretty much everywhere I wanted to go (forest service roads, logging trails, hunting in the mountains, I just don't see the need for myself. Of course, if you are a hard core rock climber or mudder, that's different.
    After rethinking the post I made earlier, I should add a few thoughts I feel explain my "stock 4X4" philosophy.

1. I always run quality, light truck "LT", load range "E" tires (versus "passenger rated" tires). Stiffer sidewalls and stronger belts make a more off-road worthy tire. This is one of my favorite tires to run: http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/op...n-tires?cat=10 they are not cheap, but they are very dependable and when kept properly inflated and rotated, last many miles.

2. If I'm headed off road, I always pack a 30' logging chain with hooks, a pair of 17K lbs nylon tow straps, and my high lift jack. This combo, in addition to a good hand bow saw, decent shovel (not a folding pack shovel), and cutting ax has always gotten me out of any bad jam I got myself in. Would a chain saw and a winch be better and faster? Probably, but with this gear, I have to be slow, methodical, and think things through, which means (for me) it will be safer in the long run.

3. I choose my paths carefully, and I don't push my vehicle's capabilities. The most deeply stuck vehicles I ever came across were 3/4 ton, lifted, big tire mudders. They can get through much more mud or higher water than I can, but when they get stuck, they are generally pretty much screwed until help arrives. Seen several large trees pulled out at the roots by trucks stuck deep in clay gumbo. And most drivers, thinking they can get themselves out by spinning their tires, just get dug deep, and that's when the suction the gumbo grabs hold of them and won't let go easily.

of course, I also carry a decent 3 day bag, spare hat/jacket/clothes, first aid supplies, food/water/fire/tools/defensive gear, etc. Nothing special or magic about any vehicle, and above all else, remember your brain/thinking skills/knowledge/attitude will ALWAYS be your most valuable piece of kit!

YMMV, and stay safe,

Buzz
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 06-11-15 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    By "ready vehicle" I simply mean what is your go to vehicle in any less than ideal driving situation flood, winter storm, social breakdown, etc. Good point about keeping 2/3 tank at all times. I fill my truck at 1/2 tank but being as I only drive it once every week or two I should probably consider filling at 2/3 or 3/4. My daily driver I'm guilty of running below a 1/4 tank fairly regularly. But being I have the truck and bike as a back up it doesn't bother me.

Feedback Score
    I too vouch for toyo. Open country AT extremes in 20" to be precise.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Had no problems this past winter with them.

*MY line in the sand has long been drawn.
    And in today's world... it's sobering to look what ground is left in front of it*
    ---------------------------------------
    But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; - Ephesians 5:3

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    TOYota, the Bushmaster of trucks. Darn good thing this isn't a vehicle forum.

Last edited by HKGuns; 06-11-15 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For years, I had this and that planned for bugout, that cost mucho monies. BUT when you get my age, you say to yourself, f**** it. I ain't going anywhere, my home is my bugout-location.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    For years, I had this and that planned for bugout, that cost mucho monies. BUT when you get my age, you say to yourself, f**** it. I ain't going anywhere, my home is my bugout-location.
    I'm with ya, Brother. I don't have anywhere to go that would be a better place for me and mine than the home I am setting up. Nothing short of a tornado will run us out, and those ain't very likely in the TX Hill Country...

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast