Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your ready vehicle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    The new Aluminum Raptor will be a 2017 model available in 2016.

Doc, I gotta disagree with you on the Raptor. But the F250 is one heck of a vehicle too.

Just like rifles, you get what you pay for, up to a point of course.
    Yeah my fault, I mis-read the story form the magazine Ford sent out with the GT on the cover. There are 6 Raptors owned in the tiny little town I work in, 2 of them get worked very hard (logging company), and I don't know of any complaints... except the $1,200 a month payment!

Feedback Score
    As far as I'm concerned bugging out is a pipe dream in my situation. Where would I go? I'm a cop in DC and live in the inner Virginia suburbs...I work 12.5 hour shifts 5 days a week so there's a 37% chance off the bat that whatever happens is going to happen while I'm on duty. There will be NO "get home" strategy. I've had this talk with my wife and if TSHTF in DC while I'm on duty, I'm staying until we're either all dead or have the situation resolved.

If something happens in the other 63% of the week that I'm not on duty, there's a good chance I'll be bugging IN to the city to help out once I have determined that my wife is safe, preferably in the company of her parents (they live in the next 'burb over). I'll be bugging in with my 2011 Outback Sport. Its not much good in serious off road conditions but it has gotten me through every soft road/inclement weather situation I've ever encountered in it, up to and including 10" of snow. I keep an overnight bag packed in it in the off chance I have to spend a night at the station - riots, terrorist attack, natural disaster, etc.

If something happens that leaves DC uninhabitable (dirty bomb, nuke, allen invasion, etc), well again theres that 37% chance I'm toast anyway. In that scenario the entirety of the DC metro area will be trying to get the fook out of town and no amount of knobby tires and lockers will do any good when the interstate is literally locked up solid (I was here for 9/11, I-395 SB out of the city was so grid locked that people literally ditched their cars and walked home. And if it's something simple like losing power for a week, well we had that with the derecho a few years back and it was mostly a non-event. There was a lot of dry ice and coolers trucked in from out of town, but for the most part the old people stayed at the community centers which had power, and the rest of us healthy folks just sweated a whole lot more than usual. Not much in the way of unprepared city folks struggling to survive as some fantasize. My commute into the city really sucked though with so many of the traffic lights dead for the first couple of days.

So, I guess I don't really have a ready vehicle in the sense that many if you do. I think the concept works alot better if you're in a rural area. If anything, I'd probably ride a bicycle out to the blue Ridge mountains if I really really needed to.
    Last edited by ChaseN; 06-15-15 at 02:27.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    If only it wasn't like $8k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chump change!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If its good enough for Woody Harrelson its good enough for me...I just need a snow plow blade and a can of white spray paint first.

In somewhat seriousness, it get the same mileage as my F150, pulls the pop-up, has room for 2 dogs and 2 kids and their associated gear inside, and most importantly, cold AC. So whether Im bugging out to Gatlinburg or Gulf Shores I have the room and comfort to get there in style.
    Last edited by Turnkey11; 06-18-15 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    So, I guess I don't really have a ready vehicle in the sense that many if you do. I think the concept works alot better if you're in a rural area. If anything, I'd probably ride a bicycle out to the blue Ridge mountains if I really really needed to.
    In all seriousness, a mountain bike is a good means of transportation for a lot of local disaster/SHTF type situations (assuming it's a permissive environment for unprotected travel.) It obviously can't carry enough or take you far enough to be a "bug out" vehicle for most, but a lot of needs can be addressed locally, depending on the situation. A bike beats traffic and doesn't burn gas, and saves time and calories over walking. Mountain bikes can deal with uneven terrain as well, allowing one to leave roads and pavement when needed. Having experienced tornadoes, hurricanes, NYC on 9/11, and earthquakes, bicycles were out and about in all of them where traffic was often gridlocked or roads were impassable.

Funny how every apocalyptic TV/movie drama seems to forget the bicycle. I guess they aren't "tacticool" enough for the silver screen.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 06-18-15 at 17:11.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Still building her

3"lift, 35" tires two full size spares ( don't recommend 35"s lots of cutting and welding needed) warren 9k winch, still lots to do but she's getting there

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    I'll be bugging in with my 2011 Outback Sport. Its not much good in serious off road conditions but it has gotten me through every soft road/inclement weather situation I've ever encountered in it, up to and including 10" of snow. I keep an overnight bag packed in it in the off chance I have to spend a night at the station - riots, terrorist attack, natural disaster, etc.

Don't underestimate them subies love them get you all kids of places, just learn this mantra "wheel placement wheel,placement wheel,placement" and you'll be following us trucks most of the time.

a bike is a great option.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20ozjolt View Post
    Still building her

3"lift, 35" tires two full size spares ( don't recommend 35"s lots of cutting and welding needed) warren 9k winch, still lots to do but she's getting there
    Nice Tacoma. Prepare yourself for a shock at the pump, but man, those 35s will roll over anything. Lockers?
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Want to lock the rear, can't lock the front with 35s would start breaking cvs

In the city my fuel Econ falls to 8-10mpg

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I am pretty happy with my new vehicle. It's a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 with the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. I upgraded the suspension with Bilstein coil overs and added BFG AT KO2 tires. It's pretty good on gas for a 4x4 and doesn't have a problem going in bad weather or off road. Plus it runs on regular gas so that makes it easier to find if the situation was bad enough that I need to siphon it from other vehicles.

However if I could afford one, I'd have a Raptor in a heartbeat. I love that thing.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast