Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your ready vehicle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is the obsession with the raptors ?
    If you took the same money it cost you could build a way more capable truck.

It's not like it even has real race suspension they just tossed fox shocks on standard leaf springs

For off the shelf race check out the rally fighter
    Last edited by 20ozjolt; 06-19-15 at 00:34.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    They're bad looking mother****ers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yeah I'd rather have a decked out F-250 over a Raptor.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would take a 1984 diesel one ton over a raptor then dump the 50k I had left over into the truck, all mecanical...

Four link the rear three link the front go custom dual rate springs, full hydro steer, hydronic winches on bord air and welder, tool box bed with a sleeping compartment in the center..... Ah to dream

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20ozjolt View Post
    I would take a 1984 diesel one ton over a raptor then dump the 50k I had left over into the truck, all mecanical...

Four link the rear three link the front go custom dual rate springs, full hydro steer, hydronic winches on bord air and welder, tool box bed with a sleeping compartment in the center..... Ah to dream
    Yeah I'd like to have a pre 80's truck/Blazer/Bronco/Scout/Ram Charger so if an EMP goes off you still got wheels.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What is the obsession with the raptors ?
    If you took the same money it cost you could build a way more capable truck.

It's not like it even has real race suspension they just tossed fox shocks on standard leaf springs

For off the shelf race check out the rally fighter
    Of course you could build something more capable off road but it wouldn't be as nice on road. I need something to get around in not play with. I drove one and it was very nice. The long travel Fox suspension rides great. Gas mileage sucks though.

I just want one because I think it's cool. But my Tacoma is a more practical vehicle.

Feedback Score
    Don't underestimate them subies love them get you all kids of places, just learn this mantra "wheel placement wheel,placement wheel,placement" and you'll be following us trucks most of the time.
    No doubt! I had zero experience with Subaru's during last 15+ years as either driver or passenger, but after seeing commercials on safety and longevity, I was curious, so I went to check them out at a local dealer.

We drove a couple vehicles, but the 2015 Outback with "eyesight" was simply unbelievable to me. Comfortable, great safety features, great handling, and solid acceleration. But the thing that put it over the top was when the salesman directed us to a grassy area for a little off-road stuff.

Basically, we drove out into a flat field that was totally waterlogged from all our recent torrential rain. There were deep ruts in the grass that were likely made by a full size pickup, and were over a foot deep and full of water and mud. And this soil is very caliche, with a high clay content, so it's slick and gooey.

When the salesman said to go out and drive anywhere, I thought he was crazy. I asked him what his plan was should we get stuck, because I was neither pushing nor paying for the tow truck recovery. He said not to worry about it.

So I spent the next 10 minutes trying to stick that Outback. I bottomed out a lot but I'll be damned but that little wagon just went everywhere. Even when I drove perpendicular to the deepest ruts and the Outback bottomed out where it wouldn't go forward, I could always drop it in reverse, work the steering wheel, and get myself out. All this with all season radials and maybe 6" ground clearance.

I am now a believer! When we replace my wife's Chevy Equinox, it will absolutely be with either an Outback or maybe a Forrester.

FWIW, I've been a 4X4 owner since 1980 when I bought my first Jeep Cherokee that I used to thrash on every skidder log trail I could find within 30 miles of my rural NH home. Owned full size 1/2 & 3/4 ton pickups and 4 banger rice burners and ran all through snow, mud, and hills. I've four-wheeled in the mountains of MT during my 7 years stationed there and the tundra of interior AK for 8 years I was there, among other parts of the U.S., so while in not nearly as experienced as many here, I do have a clue about off-roading.

Bottom line, I've never experienced any 4*4 system as effortless as Subaru's. Simply amazing! If they put their system in a 3/4 ton pickup, it would be unbelievable. And I can definitely believe a Forrester or Outback would make a great 'ready vehicle'.

YMMV...

Take Care,

Buzz

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What did you notice about the Subaru system that made it effortless? Is it because they are always in 4x4 (i.e. open "center diff"), or something else? I've never driven one, but they seem darn popular.

I do miss having "full time" 4x4 in my Dad's old Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the big mud tires and extra ground clearance on my XTerra make up for it. Shifting in and out of 4WD as needed is no big deal to me.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    My "ready vehicle" (or BOV as some call it) is my daily driver. I have to be able to carry my wife, kids, dogs, and supplies with me should I need to go mobile so I started with a 1999 F-250 crew cab 4x4 with the 7.3 diesel. (only the 12 valve Cummins is a better engine IMHO) I got it for a good price at the time and need the cargo capacity. I have modifies it over the last few years to increase it's capability off road and it's day to day usefulness.

She has a 4" lift, Fox Racing shocks, and 35" Toyo Open Country MTs. These tires are great off road and very easy to live with on the road as well. They are a "E" rated tire and work well under such a heavy vehicle. I put a camper shell on her to allow for weather proof storage/camping, and built storage cabinets along either side of the bed. An on board air compressor comes in very handy, and also powers the front and rear ARB air lockers. A roof rack adds cargo capacity. A fully stocked tool box and other tools, recovery gear, food, and supplies are loaded at all times. The front and rear bumpers are much stronger than the stock ones and have good recovery points and the capability to mount a winch. (still saving for the winch) I am very happy with the truck as she sits, but as in many other things, she is an ongoing project. If I can get her to fit between the trees, she'll get me there.

Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 06-19-15 at 15:05.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    What did you notice about the Subaru system that made it effortless? Is it because they are always in 4x4 (i.e. open "center diff"), or something else? I've never driven one, but they seem darn popular.

I do miss having "full time" 4x4 in my Dad's old Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the big mud tires and extra ground clearance on my XTerra make up for it. Shifting in and out of 4WD as needed is no big deal to me.
    I've not researched the details yet, but the Subaru had 4 wheel independent all wheel drive, and the computer controlled the torque. I could barely spin a tire...the car would not let it happen.

We left that field pretty muddy, and the undercarriage had mud/dirt/grass caked everywhere from dragging and bottoming out, but the sides were relatively clean because of minimal wheel slippage.

It was a 4*4 experience I've never had before. I'm used to powering through mud with wheels spinning and mud slinging everywhere. That doesn't happen with this system. The transmission/transfer case (or whatever it's called by Subaru) restricts power to individual wheels based on traction.

If you like big muddy rooster tails, this isn't your rig. But it I had to put my wife in a vehicle and send her to see family in Buffalo in January, I'd put her in the Outback over my Chevy 2500 diesel 4x4.

Take Care,

Buzz

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast