Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Jason Burton-Why I choose to carry a full size 1911

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    We all know a good 1911 is a special and magic piece of steel. It's art and function and gives warm and fuzzies as no handgun can, but it's day as the preeminent combat handgun has seemingly past. When people such as Hilton Yam, who was a top tier 1911 smith and expert on all things 1911, came to that conclusion, it's time to re consider. That's not even the tip of the iceberg of teams and people who were die hard 1911 shooters who came to that same conclusion.
    Yet guys who put thousands and thousands of rounds down range every year for precisely placing holes in a lot of targets consecutively while on the clock keep choosing 1911's and its alter ego the 2011 to get it done.

As for myself, I don't stick with one single gun to carry all the time, it's a rotation of 3 or 4 options depending on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing that day. Sometimes M&P, sometimes Kahr, sometimes other stuff, sometimes a 1911. I kinda used up all my ability to just pick one of something when I found my wife.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 10-18-15 at 23:34.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The one thing about a 1911, for me, that keeps it viable is ergonomics. People elevate it to a mythical stature but all else being equal; I feel better point and contact shooting with a single stack handgun
    This. My Kimber CDP Pro fits my hand and feels better in my hand than any of my other pistols. I'll carry it around home occasionally, or in the woods, but I typically stick with the PPQ or PPS when going out. I occasionally carry the CDP when the wife and I go out. She calls it my date gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    * * * I kinda used up all my ability to just pick one of something when I found my wife.
    Normally, I would've continued lurking this thread, but then I saw that rather cogent epiphany and just had to come out of the shadows and say, "Amen" ... and thank you.

That's exactly how I felt about the gal that became my wife, years ago, when I first found her.
    Last edited by steppenwolf; 11-17-15 at 17:41.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    George Orwell, 1941.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My brother in law buys about a gun a week. I said, "you really have zero self-control."

"Nah, I just use up 100% of my self-control in not banging everything I see. I never bought guns I didn't need before I got married - now it's a good outlet."

Feedback Score
    Maybe it's from getting older and stupider, or maybe it's because I don't have someone behind a desk telling me what I can and can't carry anymore, but I have been moving BACK towards the 1911. Not sure what it is, and am fully aware of the drawbacks, but the 1911 is the only gun that "speaks" to me anymore. So much so that a lot of my plastic guns have found new homes. I know, does not make sense but........whatever, I am not trying to equip an entire department or anything, it's just me.

Maybe it's some weird circle of life thing, who knows.

1911's may very well be my down fall, but oddly enough, I am good with that.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789