Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Entry level" 9mm handguns

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    PPX - PERFECT 'entry' gun.
    When I saw that deal at CDNN a while back I had to jump on it, got the threaded barrel.
    Sure - it is hands down the UGLIEST gun I've ever owned (looks like '2x4 with grip' comes to mind...) but it feels really good in the hand - grip is like an ugly twin to the PPQ, VP9.
    Has an acceptable trigger but yes the 'DAK-ish set is a bit unorthodox - think that explains why it is cheap - that and the also somewhat unorthodox barrel (MIM) part.
    And here's a heads up to all you PPX owners if you haven't figured it out yet:
    It will NOT feed steel-case commie ammo reliably - period.
    You want to practice your failure drills - way to go - a certified jam-o-matic.
    Just for that reason I love it - stovepipes, fte, ftf on demand - you just don't know which one...awesome training platform! Not as much a shtf sidearm though, but at that price......
    Another one yeah the CANUK CANIK Canoe? Decent gun low price. Lack of pedigree and trackrecord is where you save the $$$. Been tempted to get one just because of the price.
    Last edited by polydeuces; 06-15-15 at 14:50.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    IMHO a Sig SP2022 in 9mm is great entry level pistol.
    I thought so too but after having one for a couple of months I felt like the initial double-action trigger pull greatly affected the accuracy. It was smooth, and the weight was fine, but the overtravel was jerky and caused the sights to upset greatly. I have no such issues with a gun like the 92 which on mine I can consistently shoot 5" groups at 25 yards. With the SP2022 I couldn't come close to that.

Not to mention mags are expensive and holster options are limited.

I would definitely recommend saving for a used Glock, or 92, or even a police trade in SIG rather than the SP2022. Not a terrible gun, but not my first choice.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I'd rather buy a used P99 or PPQ for another hundred bucks than to get a PPX....

Feedback Score
    Looking at Carl Walther's German website, the PPX is listed as a "defense" gun, along with the PPQ and P99. I don't know - maybe they have more confidence in it than we do, the PPX being an entry-level gun over here.

http://www.carl-walther.de/cw.php?la...ub=2&subsub=22

Feedback Score
    The first 9mm I owned was the Sig 2022, it was a good entry-level gun. Loved the decocking feature. I've also shot the PPX quite a bit, awesome trigger for the price. Resently had a chance to shoot the Canik TP9 SA, I liked it a lot, reminded me of shooting a nicer Springfield XD. I am most likely going to buy one once the SF (no decocking feature) comes out. I only wish that these entry level guns came with more after market support. EAA has some nice guns price wise that fit the bill and have okay after market support.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I still want to pick up an SP2022. I've seen them as low as 448.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
    I still want to pick up an SP2022. I've seen them as low as 448.
    I wish we could get it that cheap here in Manila(Phil) , the SP2022 9mm was the first pistol I had bought at $900 plus another $150 for psychological testing ,NBI & Police clearances. It was recommended by my cousin & a Friend who owned a German made p226, the brand new P226 was going to cost me around $2100 all up . I felt reassured when I found out that it was a reliable enough gun for the French National Police to issue it as their Standard Pistol.
    Last edited by Beagle89; 06-27-15 at 01:06.

Feedback Score
    I got two PPX from the same place, one 9 and one 40. The 9 shoots well, but the 40 really shines. Might be luck of the draw but my Doctor said the same thing, both accurate, the 40 noticeably better. They feel the same in the hand. One of life's mysteries that some science guy can probably explain. I just know the end result. Now this is my only semi auto in 40 so I can only compare to a 9 or 45.

Feedback Score
    The S&W SVD9 is a good entry level handgun. Terrible trigger, but the quality is better than anything by HiPoint.

I like the Turkish CZ clones for around $300.

Feedback Score
    My wife bought a S&W SD9VE as her first real purchase for herself. we were in state, but a couple of hundred miles from home. She handled it checked the mag release, racked it, pulled the trigger, All seemed fine to her, she bought it. on the journey home she handled it several times and I had to warn her that passing traffic might not be amused. A few days after getting home we went to the range, where she discovered what that long trigger pull really meant. She tried it another day and the following week. After four or five range trips she wanted to dump the S&W. She traded for a new Glock 17 and is much happier. The Glock does not shoot as accurately as her Lionheart LN9, but the LN 9 has an external safety The ranges we have used say if it has a safety it must be used. So she uses the Glock. The PPX is like the Glock, no external safety.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12