Thread: Timney trigger for 3 Gun?

Feedback Score

Timney trigger for 3 Gun?

I've been shooting 3 Gun for a few months now and I'm considering a trigger upgrade on my rifle. I'm currently using a RRA 2-stage, but I think I would be better off with a single stage trigger. I was leaning toward the Timney, but I'm not sure if I should get the 3lb or 4lb version. I've looked at several other triggers, but I keep coming back to the Timney for some reason. Any reason not to get one? Which weight would be best? Thanks in advance...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There isn't anything wrong with a Timney. IMHO there wasn't anything glaringly spectacular either. But triggers are all personal preference. So if you like how Timney feel go with it. I'm personally a huge fan of the AR Gold. They are the closest thing I've found to my high end 2lb Infinity 1911 triggers. Having both pistol and rifle with a trigger that feels the same is nice to me.

I'd always go with the lighter 3lb trigger. 2lbs is what mine break at.

If you go Timney give me a shout on PM or email. I can save you 10% on one over at Optics Planet.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Jesse. I'm also looking at the JP EZ Trigger. Any thoughts on that one?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike9250 View Post
    Thanks Jesse. I'm also looking at the JP EZ Trigger. Any thoughts on that one?
    I used the JP trigger for a couple years until I found the AR Gold. It's not as EZ to install as the Timney or AR Gold. It requires some adjusting/tuning. I've always had my gunsmith Accurate Iron install my JP's. I think I still have 2-3 of them. I have one that is really light which is awesome!
    Last edited by Jesse Tischauser; 06-15-15 at 08:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Timney that is in the new Armalite rifles is pretty nice. I've been happy with mine for the short time I've had one.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I decided to go with the JP EZ trigger. I'm hoping the supplied .156 pins will fit the oversize holes in my PSA fairly well. I was leaning toward a Hipertouch 24C, but they said I really needed to use standard .154 pins. Plus the JP kit ended up being less expensive at $165 delivered. I think it will be plenty good enough for me, I'm still pretty new to 3 Gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a JP EZ and it is my favorite out of everything I have tried. The AR Gold is great but I really can't get used to how narrow the trigger bow is, I just don't like it. I have a CMC drop in and it is good but travel and reset is longer than that of the JP. Setting the JP EZ takes a little time but it is worth it, IMHO. Two friends of mine have the Timney and they really like it. It is lighter than either my JP or my CMC but feels less crisp and reset is mushy and not super positive.

Feedback Score
    I've used the JP EZ in a few matches now and I'm really liking it. It feels great, even with the heavier red spring. I actually ordered a second one for another rifle that could use an upgrade. I also ended up getting the Hiperfire 24 3G for a new 3 Gun build I'm putting together. I haven't shot it yet but just doing some dry fire I think it's going to be a fantastic trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBoy View Post
    I have a JP EZ and it is my favorite out of everything I have tried. The AR Gold is great but I really can't get used to how narrow the trigger bow is, I just don't like it. I have a CMC drop in and it is good but travel and reset is longer than that of the JP. Setting the JP EZ takes a little time but it is worth it, IMHO. Two friends of mine have the Timney and they really like it. It is lighter than either my JP or my CMC but feels less crisp and reset is mushy and not super positive.