Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Top of Texas...Guadalupe Peak

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

The Top of Texas...Guadalupe Mountains National Park

Not long ago I found a big secret hiding out in West Texas. Towering over Texas at 8750', Guadalupe Peak offers a very rewarding view of the West Texas landscape. I know, I know...it ain't the majestic Rocky Mountains, but I never knew that Texas even had such elevation other than Emory Peak in Big Bend at just 7832'. I spent months in West Texas/SE New Mexico before I even noticed something off in the distance. It was a few more months before I took the time to look at a map to figure out what that formation was poking out on the horizon.

It doesn't look like much from here, but it takes about 2 hours to get over there to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. I've hiked the peak a few times now, and it is definitely a strenuous hike but the views are rewarding. It is worth checking out for anyone looking to get outdoors in West Texas.

Some highlights of the hike:

The ISIS training camps are that way....

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    McKittrick Canyon in the fall is a very nice hike as well, the foliage changing colors is worthy of a trip.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have hiked Guadalupe Peak a few times now, but the park really has a lot more to offer. I've only hiked about 10% of the trails, so it is time to move on to the others. The only bad part of hiking GP national park is that you have to carry all of your water. You aren't allowed to use the water even when it is there. Today, it was 12.5 lbs of water starting out for me. It was all gone by the time I was done, but that was half of my load. That makes back country camping in the summer difficult to say the least.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Great photos.
    A coworker is an avid outdoorsman and he's shown me his photos of his hikes to Guadalupe Peak. They made me want to plan my trip. Your pics? They pushed me one step closer to getting that done. So is that actually a postal stop at one point?

Water is definitely the big consideration, and time of year. Would certainly be tough in the summer. People can get themselves in real trouble very quickly w/o cell service.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Oh, you want to see some pics....
    Guadalupe Peak Mar '15
    Guadalupe Peak Apr '15

Guadalupe Peak Wikipedia Page
    Guadalupe Mountains National Park

El Capitan is the actual landmark that was used by travelers and the Pony Express riders and stagecoach drivers of the Butterfield Overland Mail, which was commemorated by American Airlines with the monument on top of Guadalupe Peak. I'm not exactly sure how far away from the mountains I am in that first pic, but it takes me two hours to get there. El Capitan is the flat face on the left, and its recognition is undeniable.

I first visited the park in March and then on Easter, and the weather was awesome then. It is almost too damn hot now, but I will still go. I encounter more people than I expected, but it still isn't crowded.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    DSC00074.jpg

Never hiked it but I took this on my way to Carlsbad Caverns.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I plan on taking the El Capitan trail the next time I make it out to the park.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Excellent photos, thanks for sharing . . .
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It has been on my list to do for a while now. I want to do it in the cooler months, but the weather typically sucks out there then - really high winds.

I have hiked McKittrick Canyon and it is really nice.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=mcki...g&ved=0CCUQsAQ

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The pics were taken with this Nikon Coolpix camera. I am no photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it takes pretty good pictures. I was looking for a camera that was compact, at least water-resistant, and could take some spills. It has performed well so far, but it hasn't been abused or gotten wet yet.

The weather in March was just about perfect. It was windy, but not hot. I am looking forward to the fall weather, and hope to be able to use one of the backcountry campsites. So far, I have had to plan around a time when I am working nights out there. I have to work 12 hr, drive a total of 4 hr, hike for 6 hr, and then work another 12 hr. It makes the hike even more challenging for me physically, but the views are somewhat energizing for me. That last 12 hr of work isn't very enjoyable.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast