Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Top of Texas...Guadalupe Peak

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'll PM you my dates.

Perfect reminder on the small stuff.
    Headlamp - check. Trash bags - check. Folding knife - check. I'll be taking a classic Buck straight blade too (I love it). A Leatherman will go in the pack (always). And most certainly TP lol My FAK I'm still working on.

I'll have the luxury of technically car camping (truck on site, like I'm use to staying at the beach; the camp has running water and restroom facilities). But I'm using this trip to make an adjustment in the direction of getting better at walk-in camping. Not lugging a cooler with cold stuff/raw stuff is weird and seems to be my biggest adjustment.

I plan to do a dry run this weekend to test out some single pot ingredients on the new single camp stove I got for this trip (Pine Springs site doesn't allow open flames). I prefer wood/campfire as my source though. Still need to grab a single person cook set (really just a cook pot, cup and utensils). I'm planning food around noodle based, with some thrown in protein, plus easy snacks. High calorie is good.

I plan to do an easy-moderate trail or two the first day I arrive after I set up just to look around (7hr drive in, I *think* I plan on arriving early a.m. unless closer to midmorning-noon is better??). I'll do Guadalupe Peak first thing fresh in the morning on my second day. Originally planned to stay for a third day for a free day of "I'll go try/see __", maybe drive the area a bit to see museum or drive in sights. Debated driving Williams Ranch, but never got word on the trail condition for the truck. I'll go by feel after the GP hike though on if I head home or stay the third.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

This set-up gets me by for now. It is a Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700 Mug, Snow Peak LiteMax Stove, and a Titanium Spork. A windscreen is a must with my stove, and my tinfoil windscreen has really performed well so far. I'm going to make something more durable out of titanium foil one of these days, but the tinfoil is getting the job done for now. It is easier to get fuel local at an REI, Cabelas, or the like. Beef Jerky and Ramen noodles is an easy meal for me, and I eat a lot of mountain trail mix and Cliff bars. Car camping does make it alot easier, when dealing with meals and such.

The weather is really pretty nice in the morning and evening, but hot during day. The Devil's Hall trail is only 4.2 miles round trip, and there seems to be a fair amount of shade at least on the part of it that I have been on. It is rated as moderate, and I'm sure that comes from the stair-step climbing that the trail offers. That stair-step climbing is what makes the peak trail so strenuous.

It sounds like you are definitely doing your homework, and I think that is going to make your trip much more enjoyable.
    Last edited by TXBK; 09-27-15 at 21:26.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Great cook set there. Seems like it'll last too. Wanted to pop over to REI, it being on the other side of town has discouraged me (traffic is a nightmare). But I think I need to bite the bullet and get over there.

I'm glad you said Devil's Hall. That's actually the trail I was planning on day 1 after set up. It looks like a fun/gorgeous hike.

On the GP trail, I was contemplating leaving before sunset to get a view of the sunrise on the trail. I'm concerned there may be cats out and about. Should I be worried?

The planning is getting me excited. I didn't want to the waste my time off. Or get stranded or be miserable lol
    Last edited by Shorts; 09-28-15 at 07:56.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I got an early start on the GP trail on Easter morning. I got to the trail head before daylight, and got my pack together and water filled by headlamp light. By the time I got on the trail, it was just light enough to not need my headlamp. I got about halfway up the first face when the sun rose. It was really nice that morning.

As long as you stay alert, listen, and get a 360º view every now and then, you shouldn't have to worry about the wildlife. There was a small group of people that headed out right behind me on Easter morning. Even though I have been alone for the most part, there has always been people ahead or behind me on the GP trail.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    My family and I camped on some BLM land just under the Guadalupe range. From there we moved off up into NM and eventually into Colorado. In spite of the amazing scenery up in the Rockies we all held a soft spot for that Guadalupe horizon.... "Purple Mountains Majesty"

God Bless Texas!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Had a great trip and I've been sitting on my post and pics. I think I'll start a new thread to compliment this original.

Looking at the current weather that has been rocking the state, and the low temps that are striking, I went just in time.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    Had a great trip and I've been sitting on my post and pics. I think I'll start a new thread to compliment this original.

Looking at the current weather that has been rocking the state, and the low temps that are striking, I went just in time.
    I'd enjoy to hear about your trip. Feel free to post it here if you would like.

I am hoping to get out there soon to catch the colors of McKittrick Canyon, but it could be December or January before I get back out there and that will be alright too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very nice. Pics look like they're taken from around Mentone/Orla?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    Close actually, a hair west from there, Pine Springs.

I've been seeing the weather since this trip, I really did get over there just in time. I've been itching to go back but I'm definitely not a 4season tent camper.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    The first pic was taken around Vaca Ln. and Resource Ln, behind my mansion on wheels.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast