Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best .45 ACP blasting ammo

Feedback Score

Best .45 ACP blasting ammo

Balancing price, availability, cleanliness, accuracy, box attractiveness... the whole deal.

What's the best? I've bought a few 200 packs of WWB 230 gr. from WalMart and the stuff seems to run just fine.
    Last edited by FishTaco; 06-16-15 at 21:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Okay, going to look at only the first 3 of the four requirements since the box could be pink for all I care as long as it shoots well. Which to think about it I have actually bought ammo in a pink box before....

Anyway, for cheap blasting ammo in .45ACP, I have found, surprisingly, that Wolf .45acp is not a bad option. Have not had any issues to speak of out of it in my TRP or Colt, it is surprisingly accurate stuff, at least it has turned in good groups when we have gone for tightest groups possible often out shoot WWB, and Rem UMC. It is a bit dirty though, and if you reload you aren't getting any good brass. But if you want cheap, don't care about reloading, might be worth a look and generally runs in the $15 range, which was nice when it was hard to find .45 below $18 a box for brass cased ammo. Nowadays $16-17 a box for imported .45acp isn't impossible to find.

Other option, for cheap, PPU .45acp has been popping up very cheap as well. Picked some up in teh $15 range from a LGS and have seen it online in bulk for around $16-17 mark if I recall right. Not bad, but haven't really run much of it so far.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Freedom Munitions. I've not shot a lot of their 45 but plenty of 9, 38 and 223.

I stick with their new stuff.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've fired a lot of Blazer, Magtech, and PMC because they tend to be the cheapest. No problems with any of those in .45 If I have a choice, I'll pick the Blazer aluminum.

Feedback Score
    I like aluminum cased ammo, but Blazer is relatively pricey these days. I'll have to look into some Wolf.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer my reloads, but for factory ammo, haven't noticed any that seemed exceptionally good. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Winchester's Service Grade, mostly because I like the plain cardboard box look, and the ammo seems a tad more "stout" than some FMJ options.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
    Balancing price, availability, cleanliness, accuracy, box attractiveness... the whole deal.

What's the best? I've bought a few 200 packs of WWB 230 gr. from WalMart and the stuff seems to run just fine.
    Sell that WWB, their box isnt flashy enough

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have been finding aluminum cased champion at wally world for $15 a box. It seems a bit hot though.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The "best" cheap/common ammo I use in .45 is Atlanta Arms. However, I will also use Winchester White Box or Perfecta if I don't have time or ability to order online and wait for Atlanta Arms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CatSnipah View Post
    Freedom Munitions. I've not shot a lot of their 45 but plenty of 9, 38 and 223.

I stick with their new stuff.
    I'll second Freedom Munitions. We've shot well over 10K rounds of their stuff, albeit mostly 9MM, but a thousand or so .45, and we've never had an issue. Been using their reman ammo almost exclusively. Used it in 6 classes at Gunsite, around 1000 rounds each class, and it ran flawlessly through our Glocks and XDm.

Been using them since 2010, and my only complaint is that now they have a TX store, I have to pay sales tax on top of shipping, making them a less cheap option. But they have regular sales, and their quality has been extremely consistent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast