Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Explanation of Co-Witness

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmaGlock View Post
    I suggest zeroing them separately at the same distance and only worrying about them lining up when you look through the sights as a point of reference. Then do most of your shooting with your optic and occasionaly turn off the optic and shoot with your irons through the optic in order to stay proficient.
    Exactly! In my setup the flip up BUIS would only be used if the dot fails, but it's important to be able to sight through the window of the optic so you don't have to waste valuable seconds ripping the RDS off the rifle under fire.

I think we're on exactly the same page here.

Feedback Score
    Correct me of I'm wrong, but from what I'm gathering, When u use say an aimpoint pro and line up the irons with the aimpoint (or even jus using the red dot) no matter where u aim ur sights at 0-100 yards, ur rounds will always hit ur mark?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    this was the thread i found when i was researching optics, i went lower 1/3 but it seems like less. thanks for the info

Feedback Score
    im going with 1/3 cowitness i think it'll be a much clearer site picture when just using my optic.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question

anyone know how to factory reset an Aimpoint micro H-1?
    used on a BCM midlength over a LT660

I made serious fubu trying to zero it to permanent front sight post.
    thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbasas13 View Post
    im going with 1/3 cowitness i think it'll be a much clearer site picture when just using my optic.
    I have been using lower 1/3 cowitness for about 15 years and I prefer it over absolute cowitness for that very reason.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-18-13 at 16:54.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score

Re: Explanation of Co-Witness

Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    anyone know how to factory reset an Aimpoint micro H-1?
    used on a BCM midlength over a LT660

I made serious fubu trying to zero it to permanent front sight post.
    thanks
    I dont understand your question. Whst exsctly are you trying to reset?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never understood why some would want a lower 1/3 co witness. I only want to have one point of aim when I look through the scope, not two separate ones. BUIS means backup.. Point is that iron sights used to be the primary sighting system for fighting rifles, but now they are used more as a backup option should your red dot fail. Since the human eye picks up the red dot quicker than an iron sight post it makes sense to use it as your main sighting system.. However since the BUIS are in a fixed position on the rifle and don't move, you need to sight them in first, then align the red dot to the BUIS.. I have always done it that way, it was taught to me that way, and I believe that is the right way.. however others with far more experience than me may do things differently. If it works then more power to them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15freak View Post
    I never understood why some would want a lower 1/3 co witness. I only want to have one point of aim when I look through the scope, not two separate ones. BUIS means backup.. Point is that iron sights used to be the primary sighting system for fighting rifles, but now they are used more as a backup option should your red dot fail. Since the human eye picks up the red dot quicker than an iron sight post it makes sense to use it as your main sighting system.. However since the BUIS are in a fixed position on the rifle and don't move, you need to sight them in first, then align the red dot to the BUIS.. I have always done it that way, it was taught to me that way, and I believe that is the right way.. however others with far more experience than me may do things differently. If it works then more power to them.
    I still use the Field Zero method you talk to get zeroed with a new red dot. Then I fine tune the red dot by zeroing by itself.

I have absolute co-witness on my personal rifle that doesn't have a DBAL on it. With the DBAL I like the lower 1/3 because the sight picture is less cluttered. If it goes down its still a quick transition.
    Last edited by TactTeam; 12-06-13 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Agree with Dano5326. Cowitness RDS and irons only works with low mounts made for that purpose. Simple geometry tells you that a high mount won't (and isn't supposed to) work that way.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast