Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resources for learning concepts of ultra long range shooting?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Resources for learning concepts of ultra long range shooting?

What are some good books or materials for me to learn all I can, due to work I get limited range time with rifles get plenty of hand gun time tho...

I hve always wanted to master the first round hits at extreme ranges, yes I know this will be a very long quest.

Is the Tibasurus Rex sniper 101 on you tube as good and accurate as it seems?
    Last edited by 20ozjolt; 06-19-15 at 00:28.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I haven't been on it in a very long time but snipers hide has excellent information. Might be a good place to find out more.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20ozjolt View Post

Is the Tibasurus Rex sniper 101 on you tube as good and accurate as it seems?
    I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable that I will chime in here, but I think the TiborasaurusRex videos are probably good to go. Most of the threads I've seen on forums like sniper's hide talking about his videos seem to agree with that. To me, Rex seems to be an extremely knowledgeable but humble guy who is also probably a gifted teacher in person. He obviously puts a great deal of effort into his videos, and while he does repeat some things I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Some of what he presents is opinion, but it's all good information and his channel has been a great place for me to start. I have found myself using some of his vids more like pod casts, where I listen to them and only occasionally watch the screen, as most of the content is in his narration.

It's also worth mentioning that he mainly covers the technical side of long range shooting and leaves the discussion of marksmanship fundamentals for others. I do think he has what is probably the most comprehensive set of long range shooting vids on the net.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 06-19-15 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable that I will chime in here, but I think the TiborasaurusRex videos are probably good to go. Most of the threads I've seen on forums like sniper's hide talking about his videos seem to agree with that. To me, Rex seems to be an extremely knowledgeable but humble guy who is also probably a gifted teacher in person. He obviously puts a great deal of effort into his videos, and while he does repeat some things I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Some of what he presents is opinion, but it's all good information and his channel has been a great place for me to start. I have found myself using some of his vids more like pod casts, where I listen to them and only occasionally watch the screen, as most of the content is in his narration.

It's also worth mentioning that he mainly covers the technical side of long range shooting and leaves the discussion of marksmanship fundamentals for others. I do think he has what is probably the most comprehensive set of long range shooting vids on the net.
    I think I'll check them out myself.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I figured his stuff was legit, spent countless hours watching and re watching a few of them..

My personal background in shooting is bullseye comp and now I'm a basic combat pistol instructor... Some of the fundamentals will transfer the breathing exorcises in bullseye esp I believe,

been a while sense I did trigonometry tho that sould be "fun"
    Last edited by 20ozjolt; 06-19-15 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Brian Litz's books are good. Snipershide used to be a good place, and might still be, I dunno.

Learning and mastering the Fundamentals out to 600 yards/meters will go along way once you are ready to take the leap of 1k and beyond. Does that make sense? Master the Short and Mid game first, if you haven't already.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can pick up a few pointers about loads on www.6mmbr.com.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for replies and yes I'll be working my way out, I'm a sub Moa shooter with my beet up old .22 out to 60ish yards (limit of my front yard) and plan to start large caliber at 100-300 then 300-500 once I got that down in a year or two work my way out to 700 ect.

I'm not going into this with the mentality "I got a 3800- rifle I'm a sniper now" can't stand that crud, I get those goobers in my classes some times, .... think money buys skills...

I have a coworker that can miss a barn with a 2k Dan Wesson, but with his sigma he stacks the rounds.... For the life of us we still cant figure out wtf is going on with that...
    Last edited by 20ozjolt; 06-19-15 at 21:27.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Check out Snipershide on line training: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=541&f=5537

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I had never heard of TiborasaurusRex before this thread. I looked at a few of his videos on his channel. My opinion: he seems like a nice guy but is WAY too verbose and long winded to be of any use, especially for a beginner. 60+ parts of his Sniper101 series each at a half hour or more a piece, no thanks.

Instead check out 8541 Tactical / Mail Call Mondays by John McQuay aka LoneWolfUSMC. He has a blog and a Youtube channel under 8541Tactical. Great advice for all level of shooters.

If you want to pay for some good materials check out Bryan Litz's Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. He has other books and resources on his website as well.

The Snipershide Day One Training DVD is pretty good also for dealing with shooting fundamentals. I've not had a chance to check out their online training feature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast