Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9310/QPQ, A better Bolt?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

9310/QPQ, A better Bolt?

The QPQ bcg craze hit soon after the NiB BCG craze. It has a lot going for it, and a very long history of being used to treat metals for various hard-use applications.

Since it came out in vogue for bolts in BCG's (JP used it for a long time in carriers, but I believe RCA was the first to treat bolts), I have also noticed that several who used to use C158 for bolts, now use 9310. Is this because their suppliers changed, or did they note that the 9310 performs better when QPQ processed? I do not know. That is beyond me.

However, I have yet to see either in person, or on the internet, a broken 9310 QPQ'ed bolt. I have seen some that have gone well past 25K rounds, with some reported at 50K+, but I have yet to see a picture or hear a take of one that broke.

Has anyone else seen a broken 9310 QPQ bolt?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The QPQ bcg craze hit soon after the NiB BCG craze. It has a lot going for it, and a very long history of being used to treat metals for various hard-use applications.

Since it came out in vogue for bolts in BCG's (JP used it for a long time in carriers, but I believe RCA was the first to treat bolts), I have also noticed that several who used to use C158 for bolts, now use 9310. Is this because their suppliers changed, or did they note that the 9310 performs better when QPQ processed? I do not know. That is beyond me.

However, I have yet to see either in person, or on the internet, a broken 9310 QPQ'ed bolt. I have seen some that have gone well past 25K rounds, with some reported at 50K+, but I have yet to see a picture or hear a take of one that broke.

Has anyone else seen a broken 9310 QPQ bolt?
    The only broken bolts of this type that I remember reading about were a bad batch from ARPerformance ones that Harrison quickly either replaced or pulled from circulation awhile ago. If memory serves, it was a bad heat treat that was the culprit. Apologies as I do not personally have any experience with them though.

I do have a 9310 phosphate bolt in my frankenbeater with around 2k rounds on it though that so far has been performing just fine if that helps at all.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    The only broken bolts of this type that I remember reading about were a bad batch from ARPerformance ones that Harrison quickly either replaced or pulled from circulation awhile ago.
    I don't think the ARP bolts are QPQ nitride treated - I think they are just phosphate coated. I could be wrong, but I have two and they don't look like QPQ.

I recently picked up an AIM 9310 QPQ bolt out of curiosity. It looks pretty. Haven't used it yet. I am wondering if a nitride treated bolt is likely to wear out the lug area of the barrel extension faster than a phosphate coated bolt would.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I don't think the ARP bolts are QPQ nitride treated - I think they are just phosphate coated. I could be wrong, but I have two and they don't look like QPQ.

I recently picked up an AIM 9310 QPQ bolt out of curiosity. It looks pretty. Haven't used it yet. I am wondering if a nitride treated bolt is likely to wear out the lug area of the barrel extension faster than a phosphate coated bolt would.

This is my concern as well. I don't think the jury is out yet on these new coatings.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    From what I understand is that 9310 takes the alternate treatments and coatings better than C158. Ive put 25k rounds through two barrels this year on one CVD 9310 bolt so I'll take a closer look at the barrel extension.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

The coefficient of friction between steel/steel is higher than QPQ'ed steel on steel...so maybe it would wear it LESS?

Feedback Score
    An AR47 I'm currently building has QPQ barrel, barrel extension, and bolt. BCG is NiB. I hope it lasts well.

I agree that an extra hard bolt on a normal barrel extension might cause some problems, but don't have enough experience to say either way. What's the typical finish on barrel extensions?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The coefficient of friction between steel/steel is higher than QPQ'ed steel on steel...so maybe it would wear it LESS?
    I'm not an engineer, so I am muddling through this. The barrel extension is plain steel (often stainless?) with a hardness of maybe 20-25 Rockwell C? A typical bolt would be hardened steel around what, maybe 40-45 C? And the nitride treated bolt will have a surface hardness in the 60's. The nitride treatment makes it harder and slicker. I imagine it also means that any grit between the two will be wearing primarily on the extension lugs since the bolt is much harder. This is beyond my understanding so I am really interested if any of the engineers present can comment on how this works.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm not an engineer, so I am muddling through this. The barrel extension is plain steel (often stainless?) with a hardness of maybe 20-25 Rockwell C? A typical bolt would be hardened steel around what, maybe 40-45 C? And the nitride treated bolt will have a surface hardness in the 60's. The nitride treatment makes it harder and slicker. I imagine it also means that any grit between the two will be wearing primarily on the extension lugs since the bolt is much harder. This is beyond my understanding so I am really interested if any of the engineers present can comment on how this works.
    The barrel extension is much much harder than that. I forget the exact spec though.

Feedback Score
    Mil Spec extensions are 8620 that is heattreated (carburized) for a case harden.

9310 as used in bolts is typically also case hardened by carburizing.

According to the data sheets for 9310 the temperatures for SBN (1015 F) will anneal the core material and some yield strength will be lost.
    Director of Operations
    Co owner Wyoming Arms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast