Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle tested M16A1 Elisco 653

Feedback Score

Battle tested M16A1 Elisco 653

This Carbine was used in the counter insurgency operations in the Southern Islands of the Philippines , I now have the fortunate opportunity to purchase this particular rifle. Can anyone give me pointers to look out for in terms of maintenance ? It has a 16inch Barrel with a 1:12 rifling twist & will come with 9 20rd & 3 30rd magazines along with 1000 rounds of M193 .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Upper has different color to lower. Can't be bought in the US unless it is already here. Forward assist is wrong it needs to be a teardrop. Barrel should be a 14.5" because military didn't use a 16". But it should have a RH 1:12 twist. What are the first 2 digits on the lower. I see it being worth about $30-$35 (thousand)as is, only if the lower is a F/A. What trigger is in it and what buffer? Also can't clearly see the flash hider model. Also the only maintenance you might need is gas rings, barrel if the rifling is shot out, and possibly a auto sear(unlikely).
    Last edited by ClassIIIGunsmith; 06-19-15 at 09:59.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Upper and lower colors not matching was not uncommon during the late 1970s and early 1980s Seeing how this was made in the Philippines under the licensing by Colt, it would not be surprising to see some variation from Colt versions. The barrel does appear to be a 14.5" and not a 16". The forward assist is not a real issue. The round forward assist may be what they had readily available. The FH does appear to be an A1. The barrels are most likely made by Colt while the receivers are made in the Philippines. After WWII, Colt set up manufacturers over there with equipment so that they could make their own weapons without Colt having to ship any over there. They began producing 1911s and eventually M16 rifles and carbines. These M16s were all select-fire weapons as they did not have the restrictions we have in the United States for public ownership, but they were costly to own. As was said, if it is in this country and is accompanied with the proper paperwork, there is no reason not to buy it. They are very easy to maintain.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Its discoloration should not be that far off from the lowers color. The upper has early 60's color while the lower has early 80's color. My 76 SP1 has the same color between the upper and lower.image.jpgimage.jpg
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information guys, the carbine is licensed in the Philippines but the serial no. was erased & replaced with a Personal no..
    The barrel was replaced with a 16inch because of cycling issues , I've tested it in full auto & fired 100 rounds without
    any problems occurring .

Thanks Renegade04 for your insightful reply, it reflected the same history that the owner narrated.
    I now feel reassured that I'm buying a good carbine. I own three Sig Sauer
    Pistols(P226,SP2022,P250) & this is the first Rifle I'm buying.
    Last edited by Beagle89; 06-22-15 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Beagle - what country are you located in?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Beagle - what country are you located in?
    I'm a dual citizen, all my pistols are licensed ,bought & are in the Philippines. I'm a member of Armscor (Phil)gun club. You have to go thru a rigorous process to get a license to own firearms in the Philippines & have to wait 30- 45 days to get it . It is illegal to have possession of any unlicensed firearms & you face a long jail term if you are arrested for illegal possession .
    I got started when my cousin who is a retired Army Col.(Phil)Invited me to join him to watch a Shooting competition in his Gun Club.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    okay - i see. i thought it was a very unusual purchase for a first rifle if you were in the U.S., because it's select-fire.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    Its discoloration should not be that far off from the lowers color. The upper has early 60's color while the lower has early 80's color. My 76 SP1 has the same color between the upper and lower.image.jpgimage.jpg
    My cousin(Retired Col.) says he was issued an M16 carbine in 1979 with exactly the same set-up, 16 inch Barrel
    With 1:12 twist, manganese finished upper , dark colored lower. He said this was a special issue as the normal barrel was normally 14.5 inches. My cousin says that the carbine I am buying is in very good
    Condition & has been well maintained. On full automatic mode it has performed without any hitch. I'll try to
    Post a picture of the flash hider later
    Last edited by Beagle89; 06-21-15 at 23:35.

Feedback Score
    It has the correct forward assist, the Elisco Tool manufactured large round type with the domed head. Everything about that 653P is as issued, I've seen 16" barrels used as well as 14.5" on the Philippine production.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast