Thread: New Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt + .45 ACP Revolver

Feedback Score

New Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt + .45 ACP Revolver

Not sure how many here have seen this or not, but it's definitely peaked my interested so I thought I would share.

Ruger just recently unveiled a new variant on their classic Redhawk revolver: a 4" round butt model chambered in .45 Colt that has had the rear of the cylinder machined to also accept .45 ACP in mood clips.

I've been lusting after a 5.5" Redhawk for a few years now, but this new model has me really interested. I usually have a good bi of .45 ACP lying around from my 1911's, and the versatility that this gun offers with being able to also shoot .45 Colt rounds has me seriously contemplating picking one up. The only thing I'm quite digging so far is the round butt grip frame. I don't believe that has ever been a factory offering until this year with the Talo Kodiak edition and now this new version, which means aftermarket grip options are pretty much non-existent. I would have preferred that they just stuck with the same old square butt, but I definitely think I could live with this one.
    Last edited by Auto426; 06-22-15 at 12:58.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Saw this earlier on gunsamerica. I'm interested and would love to have one, but they reported a $1000 msrp. Not sure I really understand that or if I would pay that for one.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 06-22-15 at 14:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like the looks of it personally. Then again I like the old school look of revolvers over the current ones and this has an old school feel to me. Then again I have always liked revolvers that I could fire more than just one round out of. Also, while we may hate it, the Taurus Judge has resulted in a bit of a resurgence of .45LC so I think it isn't a bad decision, but .45ACP is always a favorite. As far as MSRP with Ruger what their MRSP is and street price vary a good bit, I doubt you'd be paying a grand for the gun unless you had to be the first to have it.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    Saw this earlier on gunsamerica. I'm interested and would love to have one, but they reported a $1000 msrp. Not sure I really understand that or if I would pay that for one.
    All Redhawk revolvers have a $1000+ MSRP, but in classic Ruger fashion the street price is much lower. After the initial rush dies off I'd expect to see these in the $700-$800 ballpark.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a Kodiak Backpacker. The round butt squirms a lot and has almost zero grip options at this time. Ruger needs to steal another page from Hamilton Bowen and start putting standard RH barrel on SRH grip frames without the frame extension.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    Interesting piece of news I heard about this gun that I thought I would share:

Apparently the moon clips that Ruger has decided to use for this new Redhawk are .032" thick, while standard clips that would be used with a S&W or Colt are .040" thick. Standard clips will fit the cylinder, but they won't allow it to close.

This kinda kills my excitement a little for this new gun, as Ruger is charging $5 a piece of additional moon clips, which is about 5x more than most standard .45 ACP clips I can find online. It's almost more tempting to buy a regular 4" .45 Colt gun and have it cut for moon clips in the same was the new gun, which typically only runs around $150 for the work and can be done by simply shipping the cylinder to a place like TK customs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto426 View Post
    Interesting piece of news I heard about this gun that I thought I would share:

Apparently the moon clips that Ruger has decided to use for this new Redhawk are .032" thick, while standard clips that would be used with a S&W or Colt are .040" thick. Standard clips will fit the cylinder, but they won't allow it to close.

This kinda kills my excitement a little for this new gun, as Ruger is charging $5 a piece of additional moon clips, which is about 5x more than most standard .45 ACP clips I can find online. It's almost more tempting to buy a regular 4" .45 Colt gun and have it cut for moon clips in the same was the new gun, which typically only runs around $150 for the work and can be done by simply shipping the cylinder to a place like TK customs.
    If this is true then one has to ask what in the hell are they thinking? This would be like building a single stack .45acp 1911 and making it take proprietary mags, why?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Because, Ruger that's why. In my opinion they are starting to jump the shark.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I missed out on those $29.95 M1917 S&Ws back in the 1960s, and have always had a soft spot for .45 ACP wheel guns. But--my circa 1996 Ruger .45 Convertible is light, handy, very accurate, and paid for. I feel no need to change.

Still, there's some as might like it.

Feedback Score
    I think I could like this, but I already have the 4.2" RedHawk in 45 Colt. I download as needed and also load 45 Scholfield loads, so I'm well covered in the powder-puff category. My main use is to take when assisting on bear hunts.

I also have a Blackhawk in 45 Colt with the 45 acp cylinder, another fun plinker.