Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolin vs Halo chest seals

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    IMO, nothing beats the orange 3M defib pads. They are resilient, have some self stick quality (gives you time to add tape, and can be repositioned easily.

Hold onto those seals, do not use them before their time!

When a lung drops, you aren't going to catch it by lung sounds until it crosses into 50% or greater (collapsed). It takes time to evolve. If you've got a vented chest wall, via sucking chest wound, or needle decompression, remember the lung can't expand without the pressure gradient created by the intact chest wall. That's when the seal becomes beneficicial, not in anticipation of a pneumo. The moral of the story, is to observe and only treat when symptoms become apparent. Anything before that, will speed the development of a tension pneumothorax.
    Last edited by Joelski; 07-15-15 at 05:34.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The Bolin did have some adhesion issues early on and turned many people away. This was supposedly fixed- have not used one in a while. The Halo as previously stated will stick to damn near anything. The only issue is that it is non vented - I believe they have a new vented version or it's about to come out. I like the Sam chest seal- it comes in a vented and non vented version. The adhesive is like the Halo and will stick to anything. I wish the vented came in a two pack (with a non vented for the exit wound).

Feedback Score
    Halo now has a vented version (search "halo vent") comes with one vented and one non vented seal.

Have not had hands on however, and while presumably it has the same formula adhesive as the standard halo I can't say for sure.

Feedback Score
    Nice update, thanks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    IMO, nothing beats the orange 3M defib pads. They are resilient, have some self stick quality (gives you time to add tape, and can be repositioned easily.

Hold onto those seals, do not use them before their time!

When a lung drops, you aren't going to catch it by lung sounds until it crosses into 50% or greater (collapsed). It takes time to evolve. If you've got a vented chest wall, via sucking chest wound, or needle decompression, remember the lung can't expand without the pressure gradient created by the intact chest wall. That's when the seal becomes beneficicial, not in anticipation of a pneumo. The moral of the story, is to observe and only treat when symptoms become apparent. Anything before that, will speed the development of a tension pneumothorax.
    is this to say you would not do chest seals until there are symptoms of tension pneumothorax?

Feedback Score
    If you hesitate to seal a chest until you have S&S of a TPX, that is a fail.
    Seal the defect in the chest as quickly as possible. Even if it is just holding somebody's hand over the defect while chest seals are obtained/prepared for use.

edit/added

The goal should always be to treat the problem with the least invasive means as possible at the same time as preventing additional harm from occurring to your patient. Delaying care is barbaric.

Good TCCC care is straight forward IMHO. But you must be aggressive.
    STOP the bleeding, Get that TQ on and make sure that it is effective. If needed use additional TQ's for effective bleeding control. Pack central wounds.
    Seal chest/abdominal wounds.
    Prevent hypothermia.
    Reassess and then reassess again. Treat additional problems as they develop. Remember to continuously reassess.
    Last edited by YO_Doc; 01-04-16 at 13:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    reassessment is everything. the status of their airway, breathing, and circulation is constantly changing. Ive sealed chest wounds with a tegaderm (pretty much saran wrap) on 3 sides so as pressure builds, air can leak out that 4th side. No matter what you use the principles are the same. What we use in the trauma bay (right before they're rushed to CT and the OR) is essentially plastic wrap.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the continued thoughts on chest seals. I started this thread last June. It's funny timing because FINALLY, this Saturday, I have signed up for a real hands on class. I do really like the Panteao, Doc Spears Combat Medicine DVD (actually my favorite Panteao Productions DVD and I own several) but I am pumped about a real hands on class. It's taken a while to find a local class. This is a link to the trainer: http://midwestcivilianaid.com/

I think that this skill set is one that more people that shoot should acquire. Thanks again for the continued thoughts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Necropost warning..

I put together some compact stopthebleed kits (SWAT-T, chest seal, Quikclot gauze, gloves) for my work, and used the HyFin Vent compact chest seal. Now H&H Medical might be able to put together a similar kit for me, but using the Bolin chest seal. I'm concerned because the medics I talked to said Halo or Hyfin are the best, hands down, and my "online research" shows mixed reviews on Bolin, and most of those reviews are old. Would anybody here think that the advantage of the kit being made for me is worth having the Bolin, or would you just make the kits yourself with the Hyfin? I vacuum package the kits so they stay dry, clean and tight for keeping in a pocket or pack. Also, North American Rescue can make the kits, but with a CAT-T, which I like a lot, but it's not as comfortable/convenient to carry in a pocket, so that means a lot of my guys won't carry the kit. They are in the field, sometimes even on horseback or ATV, and usually a minimum of an hour from higher level medical care.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    Necropost warning..

I put together some compact stopthebleed kits (SWAT-T, chest seal, Quikclot gauze, gloves) for my work, and used the HyFin Vent compact chest seal. Now H&H Medical might be able to put together a similar kit for me, but using the Bolin chest seal. I'm concerned because the medics I talked to said Halo or Hyfin are the best, hands down, and my "online research" shows mixed reviews on Bolin, and most of those reviews are old. Would anybody here think that the advantage of the kit being made for me is worth having the Bolin, or would you just make the kits yourself with the Hyfin? I vacuum package the kits so they stay dry, clean and tight for keeping in a pocket or pack. Also, North American Rescue can make the kits, but with a CAT-T, which I like a lot, but it's not as comfortable/convenient to carry in a pocket, so that means a lot of my guys won't carry the kit. They are in the field, sometimes even on horseback or ATV, and usually a minimum of an hour from higher level medical care.
    Ditch the SWAT-T. It's fine for peds, secondary etc. but not a very good primary TQ in my opinion and they are much more difficult to get to stay put when moving or transporting a patient which is going to be an issue if you're an hour or more away from care. Not to mention one handed application requires more training and is more difficult especially when actually injured. Put in flat folded SOFTT-W instead. Identical in size, much more effective and usable.

Another option is mounting the CAT on the belt. Lots of companies make holders. 1110gear is what we use at work as well as most other agencies/departments that are issuing TQ's these days.

In addition, hypothermia and shock are a thing and if you're an hour or more away from care, a space blanket is a must. Even in the summer. Body heat is a must for effective clotting.

As far as the chest seals, HALO/FOX/HYFIN and SAM are what you're going to find the most. They're a known quantity, and it's what you're going to find at most rescue squads, departments etc. that are actually up to speed. I've never used the Bolins so I can't comment on their effectiveness but I have used HALOS and HYFINS and they work well.
    Last edited by tacticaldesire; 07-18-19 at 13:45. Reason: spelling
    Worry less, Train more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast