Jack, excellent work here. As an 0331 we used mils constantly, especially after MGLC and the Division Schools. Besides breaking off a few weak Marines, we learned those values. Mils, meters, mil radians, all that fun stuff. Later having a HOG as my spotter with a 240B in a fixed position, we could make some music.

One of the biggest takeaways from this is those four target pictures. We actually used those same images and descriptions in training people to machine using our new 5 Axis Mills. In weapons training, I've had more success explaining it the way you have.

*Accuracy* is a reflection of your "input" variables. In this case it could be ammo load data, performance based on anticipated trajectory, dope and wind call, etc. The shooter must know these inputs and figure them as a mathematical formula before pulling the trigger.

*Precision* is a reflection of the shooter applying fundamental "controls" (to borrow machining terms). Breathing control, loading bipods, foot placement. A good shooter can run a checklist, starting from the tip of his toes to the end of his fingers and top of his head.

If the controls are not consistent, or not set at the base that the inputs were measured from, your end results will not match the projected performance. For those with a manufacturing background, you can apply SPC to your shooting when you get your numbers.

When I started getting hazed frequently by my HOG TL, I learned how much math can go into shooting someone and living to tell about it. And that's the first time I wished I hadn't spent all my schooling chasing ass...