Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: lubercating the AR-15

Feedback Score
    Militec-1 for handguns and my ARs (under 500 rounds). Slip EWL in the ARs if over 500 rounds.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score

NanoLube TM writeup in Hooters Magazine

A writer for Hooters tried NanoLube and it freed a stuck trigger in 5 seconds - and fixed many other problems that could not be resolved with normal "oils". He also passed on my revolutionary "Joint Lube" to someone with severe arthritis and within 4 minutes - 20 years of constant pain vanished. He saw the power of nanotechnology first hand, and Hooters readers across the globe will too.

New Navy testing is underway, and since NanoLube TM always works as advertised, it will not be long before military replaces the current military lubricants with a product that will NOT fail under fire.

Chris Arnold (Owner/President/Inventor)
    NanoLube, Inc.
    9 N Main Street
    Lombard, IL 60148
    630-706-1250
    www.diamondlube.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Well I guess that this would be a good time to chime in about the Nanolube sample(s) I received. I used it on some AK's that had very stiff latches. I applied a few drops to the problem areas and it worked damn good. As a matter of fact I first tried CLP which didn't seem to help.

Next test was out on the range with an M249 SAW. Lube was applied to to the rails and main contact points. Ambient temperature was about 99 degrees and was dusty outside. There were no malfunctions of any kind after approx. 1000 rds being expended.

One of our guys was running through an extended shoot course with his issue Bushamster. I had him wipe down all other excess lube and then lube the inside with Nanolube. It was applied to the bolt and carrier and along the upper where the charging handle rides. A few hundred rounds were fired during this course and no malfunctions were observed. There was one malfunction that was attributed to the ammo only.

Final test I took an old (pre-1959) milled receiver AK47 that was a little rough. I cleaned it up and lubed it with Nanolube. The gun ran excellent. As a matter of fact it almost seemed to be cycling faster than normal (though I don't believe this is the case) and experienced no problems. I am probably going to buy a larger size bottle and use it more before I give a 100% endorsement.

Feedback Score
    Now see here Sonny!!

My super duper wonder luber is the best there ever is. A proprietary synthetic blend of blend of 100% natural ingredients. It is guuuuaaaarrrranteeed to keep your rifle runnin' for a minimum of 5,000 rounds. Bury your rifle in 10 feet of the finest Iragi sand and it will have you shooting 1" groups at 500 yards. Cleans up easily with soap and water, yet provides protection for over 50,000 hours in salt spray tests. All thanks to my revolutionary lube. It's even been peer reviewed in the finest literary magazines on the market today!!

Nine out of ten astronauts swear by it.

In all reality, try a few out and find what works for you. Lube it and lube it often. Personally, I use a mix of BF LP (minus the C) and Mobil 1 5w30.
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    I am not a lubercation expert but I have been shooting, cleaning and lubing guns for over 40 years. "Whatever you have on your shelf!" will cover most needs for normal shooters. I shoot about 10 x more handgun ammo than 5.56 per year (30000 vs 3000). I use Mobil 1 & CLP along with some light grease(TETRA) for most applications. I use REMOIL for light spray/cleaning.
    Most quality lubes will work OK. I have used others but the way and frequency that I clean my weapons, what I use works and the cost is OK. Look at your application and cleaning process. If you are not running thousand of rounds between cleanings, which I usually don't, then use Mobil 1. I use what is left in the bottles after an oil change. I use it in all 4 of my vehicles and on my firearms (no cost to the gun budget).
    Results may vary and opinions will definitely vary. Do some experiments and make your choice based on you shooting needs and the results you get.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    I use Militec grease and oil on my handguns and Mobil 1 on my AR's. After trying many lubes over the years I have been more than pleased with these. I started a thread a while back (AR technical forum) that had a lot of good responses to it. I did some research on Mobil 1 and was satifisied with with what I found (not that I understood all of it)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoLube View Post

New Navy testing is underway, and since NanoLube TM always works as advertised, it will not be long before military replaces the current military lubricants with a product that will NOT fail under fire.

Chris Arnold (Owner/President/Inventor)
    NanoLube, Inc.
    9 N Main Street
    Lombard, IL 60148
    630-706-1250
    www.diamondlube.com
    Now Im not trying to poke fun at you or your product and I wish you well.If nanolube is the best Im happy you have done what you have.

But Ive heard that exact same line from the multitude of gun oil marketers/manufacturers for the last 10+ years or more.Kinda starting to get sick of hearing it,and honestly I feel like its been abused and very misleading to consumers in most cases.So......
    What I think should be followed in the weapons lubrication industry is....if you meet the mil-spec and have been approved for use as a weapons specific lubricant then advertise it as such.Also state what weapons were/are to be approved for use of such product.If this is the case provide documentation of the approval.If your in the testing process and not approved then it has absolutely no bearing other than to be misleading and suck folks into spending thier money with claims and advertising.
    I just hope you dont start claiming its saves lives next.
    IMHO claims are claims and it seems everyone out there with a gun oil has a better lube than what the military chose to use over the past 30+ plus years.
    Fact of the matter is that sure some of the new lubes are somewhat better at lubricating....where they all seem to fall short is in the long term such as protecting firearms,overall function including temp extremes,fouling attachment/removal and most other areas of concern.Some even cause damage from chemical reaction or abrasive wear characteristics.Certainly not balanced formulas as given uder the mil-spec guidelines.
    None of the so called better lubricants so far have met the specification nor approved for use under the mil-spec no matter what the claims and advertisements have been.

Now I have read several threads and posts over the past few months on several of the gun forums,including this one, in regards to your product where nothing was provided other than a sales line...or ended in personal attacks and the like.
    In that regard I have restained myself from posting in them as well.

But since you brought up that there is new Navy testing and soon to replace the mil-spec lubricants I have to ask.......
    Are you saying that nanolube is currently being tested by the Navy and is going to boot all the other lubricants?
    What are the specs and approvals you are shooting for if so?
    Are you saying that nanolube is going to replace CLP?
    Who is testing your product...NSWC?
    So does nanolube meet the 100+ hour salt fog requirement?
    What about the 900+ hour humidity cabinet requirement?
    How about the low temp requirement?
    And also materials compatibility?
    Effects on electronic triggers,primers and fuses etc?
    Chemical paper?
    Hows about firing residue removal?
    Whats the specs on load wear per ASTM on your product?
    And if I remember correctly the specification also now states that no solid particle additives are allowed in the CLP.
    Are the nano diamonds solid particles?
    Does the nanolube need to shaken before use?
    How long does the nano diamonds stay in suspension before they fall out?

If your talking about a NSN being assigned as a general purpose lube that ain't the same as being on the QPL for weapons specific use,much less one that will replace the the lubricants that are on the QPL..
    Flame away,but beating around the bush that your product is going to replace an approved and well tested mil-spec product line is a bold comment.And like I said,its been used many times before by other manufacturers.
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    The responses will likely be the same as every time this topic comes up. There are few unbiased individuals with enough experience to give you any information beyond the obligatory "I use XXXX and it's the best ever." response.

Here is what I have used
    Break-Free CLP- the base-line do-all. It's ok, but that's about it.
    Slip 2000- pretty good, longer performance than Break-Free.
    Slip EWL- a little better than the 2000.
    Vagasil- Not much worse than Break-Free.
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter- about the same a Vagasil, smells like movie popcorn.
    SPF 20 Sunscreen- Slighty worse than Vagasil, smells like a burning coconut.
    TW-25B- Lasts for a while, attracts a lot of sand (if that is a concern). Smells like coconut as well. Hmmm.
    MC2500- Decent, but was not side to side comparison. Does not attract debris like a grease. The applicator (syringe-like) is cool, will definately keep it and refill with other lube.

From my personal use I prefer the Slip, HOWEVER. . .

There are very good reports about Weapon Shield. I haven't used it, but those that have seem to really like it. I am sure someone will drop in extolling it's virtues. This will be the next lube I will try.
    Lots of people like plain old motor oil. Mobil 1 seems to have quite a following. You definately can't fault the price. Royal Purple is also used.
    Machine Gunner's Lube from LaRue Tactical has a following.
    MD Labs XF-7 has a small following as well.
    There is also some Nano-Sphere, nano-diamond, micro sphere. . .something. Two guys dropped in here to tell us what a$$holes each other were. Gave out some free samples. Haven't heard much since then.

The thing is that all of these lubricants give pretty similar performance (except the Nano-Lube, which apparently cures ED and will promote world-peace). Just pick one up and use it generously on your gun. When you run out, try something else out if you are so inclined. Much of the lube argument is semantic and capitalizes on miniscule performance advantages, which are usually exaggerated in the "cost" area.

I would say just grab some Weapon Shield and be done with it.

But that's just my opinion.
    +1
    Pretty much says it all.
    For a CLP I would use the Break Free or Weapon Shield.The Weapon Shield seems to stay put longer and remains rather slick so thats what Im using right now.
    The Mil-comm TW25B is my prefered pistol lube due to the fact it stays put for long periods of time and is a very good lube.
    I have also had good results with Break Free LP.
    As mentioned above...just pick a lube that floats your boat and use it.
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    WeaponShield is outstanding.

Ballistol is something that I never thought would work well in a hi-temperature application like an AR, but I have found out that it actually works really well.

Feedback Score
    OK, I bit on the nanolube, but I'm trying the stuff made for fishing gear first and see how it works for that purpose. Then, maybe....

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    My 2 cents.... High Temperature rated Grease (anything from fancy "weapons grade" to Wal-Mart wheel bearing type, all the same IMO). Stays put, will not run out of the pin holes, (thats where most oil ends up). Light film on high friction parts, push pins. CLP type oil to the rest. Wheel Bearing Grease is rated to around 700 degrees, life time supply around 5 bucks.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast