Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone played with a 12.5" Mid-length Gas System?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I've come to believe that this "biasing" spring actually is more important than most people think.

Afaik, the original AR10 buffer and the new H6 buffer have no extra space for the weights to move, which is one way to keep the weights pressed against the carrier side.

All the other buffers (rifle,CAR) have extra space inside for the weights to move and their initial positions before firing are somewhat random, which causes inconsistent cycling.
    Agreed with both of you guys. The biasing spring really stabilizes cyclic rate and makes my brass fall into nice, neat little piles like no other buffer setup.

The first, critical fraction of an inch during unlocking is where a normal buffer could supply virtually ZERO mass to retard extraction if all the weights were stacked toward the rear of the cavity. This can't happen with the A5 system.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    That makes sense. I was trying to figure out how a longer tube (but equal stroke) would do anything, but space for a spring in the buffer could do it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    That makes sense. I was trying to figure out how a longer tube (but equal stroke) would do anything, but space for a spring in the buffer could do it.
    The longer A5 buffer does two things.

It allow the longer, more linear, rifle spring to be used and provides room for 4 internal weights vs the 3 found in a CAR buffer.
    Last edited by Clint; 07-10-15 at 22:53.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Responding to an old dog of a thread here...

I’m on the fence with an 11.8 - 12.5” middy that will always be suppressed. My gas port is .080 now. I should be okay but I just can’t bring myself to risk it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123