Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Public Service Announcment: check for fire-on-release triggers

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Another angle to this on the AR side, that I've seen in classes. For a while Colt was making AR's with larger hammer and trigger pins, to foil Bubba's Big Plan to use M16 parts. Far as I know this was only Colt, but I've seen a few guns that somehow over the years, got put back together with small pins. This is several malfunctions waiting to happen, including fire on release, so-- something else to look for.

It should go without saying, but some people don't appreciate the gravity of it-- don't have any select-fire parts in your trigger group. There are probably a great many guns out there, especially home-builts from twenty-plus years ago, that have some parts in there that ought not to be in there, unbeknownst to the owner. Know the dif and check. I'll try to get some pics up in the next few weeks as I will be looking in on some department guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I want to thank you for this thread. I recently installed a cheapo LPK I ordered from AIM, they claim it was Black Nitride with the FCG machined afterward. well anyway after installation and recalling this thread I function checked trigger and low and behold my hammer fired on release. This would only happen when I slow released it not when I let off the trigger fast. So, as it was a cheap kit, $39.00. I decided what harm could it do to try and fix the problem myself. I took a file to the disconnect or and removed a little at a time. Reassemble and function check. Well after a few times of this I must have passed the sweet spot and completely ruined the disconnect or. Long story short I removed the offending group and replaced it with a nice single stage trigger I picked up from a local shop, https://www.dark-storm.com/dsi-trigg...ess-steel.html and saved myself the grief and possible legal entanglements.
    Thank you for making me more aware of such an issue.
    Last edited by Helldog; 07-21-15 at 22:07. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Great stuff Ned.

One quick question.

How do you determine 60% engagement?

You can't really see the sear surface, so is it just by feel?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Helldog, I would not necessarily blame the FCG or the whole FCG. Could be a combo of things.

Clint, the 60% is a touchy-feely thing. You could do the testing with the hammer spring removed, that would make it easier or easier the first time to familiarize and understand the process.

A person could make a dial-indicated measuring rig but I don't think it's necessary. Due to the pull-each-other-into-engagement geometry of the hammer / trigger relationship, anything over half ought to be good; more is better of course.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Excellent post on both the AK and AR FCG. Thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have some pics of the process for rectifying the AK issue but I'm so fed up with two different inept photo hosting services that, well, I can't post the pics until I find a service that can actually.... you know.... host the pics. Any suggestions that aren't Flickr or PhotoBucket?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The AK problem. Selector paddle is full width ("A")and the disconnector has an extension out the back ("B"), so that the selector can take the disconnector out of play, resulting in hammer follow. Inconvenient at least.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Try imgur. I use it for all the Arisaka images that get posted on forums. Very easy drag and drop interface and none of that weird indirect linking crap that photobucket has.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good tip on Imgur, thanks a ton. Good riddance, Photobucket.

Parts out of the gun. I think, maybe, there was some effort made to shorten the disconnector tail at the factory, but if they did it was not effective:

File and saw work done. The parts are certainly not soft but neither are they glass-hard. Selector bottom is narrowed so it will still block the trigger but not disable the disconnector; disconnector tail removed.

And, back in the gun. You can see here that now, with selector in an “in between” position, it will miss the disconnector, which itself has had its tail removed. Both parts are now bona-fide semi-auto parts.
    ]

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    Thanks for this post.

I think I read something about someone designing an AR trigger to do exactly that, and claiming that the trigger is being actuated twice for two shots - first you move it back, then you move it forward. I don't know if it ever entered production but it seemed like a bad idea to me. I think I saw it discussed around when the 3MR came out.
    Not sure on the AR, but there was a trigger kit for the Mini-14 to fire on release that was for sale in the mid to late 90s iirc.

Nice tutorial by the way!
    Last edited by JasonB1; 08-14-15 at 13:06.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast